Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print
Volcanis (Read 56225 times)
Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Re: Volcanis
Reply #20 - 19.01.2007 at 18:59:01

An update may indeed be needed, Wingy. I can't remember having seen any reply from you about the Jack-stuck that Toybox reported on January the 15th. A problem in the area 16507-16508.

Since we know now that during play you, as the designer, never got through "you know", it is my advice to make that room less impossible. I will not stop anyone's creativity, but as difficulty-degree "very hard" should be the limit. It stops playing-pleasure when rooms feel as nearly impossible. (Not for me, since I like challenges and I should keep on trying once in a while.) But soooo hard is probably not a good idea.

And while you are busy ... recount the secrets? Wink

IP Logged

Anthony
YaBB Administrator

Nova Scotia, Canada

Canada
Reply #21 - 20.01.2007 at 01:07:36

Yes I'm gonig to fix all that in my good time. O drat. Its 1:54... time to go to my job! AHH! There's a blizzard out there! AND ITS PAY DAY!!!  Cry

I've been quite busy and haven't had ANY time to work on StarCraft. It won't be finished for awhile. I can't seem to find any site that has the StarCraft Game Music so I can add a track or two for the mansion!  Sad Anyone know where I could? I don't expect any will tell me...  Cry

Cheers,
Wingy

Anthony Duchesne ~ Original designer of Castle Basano, Leofani Manor and Jasperlone Mountains
Anthony AnthonyDuch http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=590111070  
IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #22 - 20.01.2007 at 07:40:22

Anthony wrote on 20.01.2007 at 01:07:36:
Yes I'm gonig to fix all that in my good time. O drat. Its 1:54... time to go to my job! AHH! There's a blizzard out there! AND ITS PAY DAY!!!  Cry

I've been quite busy and haven't had ANY time to work on StarCraft. It won't be finished for awhile. I can't seem to find any site that has the StarCraft Game Music so I can add a track or two for the mansion!  Sad Anyone know where I could? I don't expect any will tell me...  Cry

Please keep the legal issues in mind (we talked about that) - it's simply not legal to use copyrighted music without having obtained proper licenses to do so (i.e. paying the composer). Taking music from another game, however old, is "problematic", to say the least.

You might want to choose some "Public Domain" music instead.....   (for example old blues recordings, that are older than 50 years, have gone into public domain). There are also websites around where you can download or buy royalty-free music.

Why is a carrot more orange than an orange ?
IP Logged

Anthony
YaBB Administrator

Nova Scotia, Canada

Canada
Reply #23 - 21.01.2007 at 01:40:32

I see people using StarCraft Music all the time in their music videos! They're not selling them, are they? So why can't I use it for a custom mansion for game? I'm not selling the mansion, am I?  Huh

Anthony Duchesne ~ Original designer of Castle Basano, Leofani Manor and Jasperlone Mountains
IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #24 - 21.01.2007 at 05:47:34

Yes and no.

The music-videos you're talking about, are (I assume) YouTube-type 'home-made' productions. Strictly spoken, even that use is ILLEGAL, but the copyrioght holders just don't prosecute this violation, as
1. They think it's too "small" a violation  or
2. In the end it's even promotion for their music, and that "outweighs" the violation  or  (and that is most likely the case)
3. They don't even know about it

But -just because they do not press some legal charges  doesn't mean that it is legal...!!

And although you're not selling the mansion you created, you still are distributing it over the internet, so that is far more than what is considered a "private use".

You might get away with it, as it might go unnoticed..... but is it really worth the risk ??

But I'm not an expert on US copyright, as I live in Germany.... but I do know that American copyright laws are even stricter than the German ones.... 

IP Logged

Anthony
YaBB Administrator

Nova Scotia, Canada

Canada
Reply #25 - 21.01.2007 at 07:57:10

What about Canadain laws?  Roll Eyes

Anyways... I've seen people using StarCraft Music in all sorts of different ways... for example, the flash game, StarCraft FA 3, ( See it here: http://www.ugoplayer.com/games/starcraftfa3.html ) used StarCraft music for their custom flash game! So why can't I use StarCraft music for my custom MM mansion?  Huh

IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #26 - 21.01.2007 at 19:16:46

The craetors of the flash game you mentioned, will probably have
licensed
the music.
After all, it's called StarCraft.....

US laws will apply, I assume, because the creators of the StarCraft music are US citizens (I assume), and they will want to sue you on their turf, not yours   Wink

IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #27 - 21.01.2007 at 19:30:49

@ Wingy:
I understand that you are eager to use THAT music together with the wonderful mansion you are creating. But please, don't bring Vern (& his ActionSoft), nor yourself (& your parents) into trouble.

IP Logged

Anthony
YaBB Administrator

Nova Scotia, Canada

Canada
Reply #28 - 21.01.2007 at 20:16:01

Alright. I suppose I shouldn't. Anyone got some spacey-like music I can use?  Wink PM me if you do.  Cheesy
Thanks!
Wingy

IP Logged

Maniac
Lost One

Below the earth
Reply #29 - 31.01.2007 at 19:02:48

Sorry, I got stuck in the room just after the ladder maze with the moving platform/conveyor belt. It is soooooo hard to make that jump. And you didn't even make it easier for the Volcanis Easy thing. Angry

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print