Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
MMaM >Update 2 released! (Read 4125 times)
Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
MMaM >Update 2 released!
28.12.2006 at 22:15:50

A few moments ago I launched update 2 of
Midnight Mazes and Monsters
. You will notice that the appendix after the name on the map is NOT "Update 2", but "1.2". In a seperate topic I explain why.

There was a BBB-bug at checkpoint 4. And somewhere in the grey area it seemed to be possible to "steal" a secret without catching the real prize (a gold coin) as well. It would be a shame (for me) to let one finish with $ 499.950, isn't it?
« Last Edit: 20.09.2007 at 16:29:23 by Freddy »  

IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Re: Update 2 released!
Reply #1 - 02.01.2007 at 17:22:18

Hey Freddy,

I gotta tell you.... as impressed as I am about your great MM & M, it also drives me crazy...!! Smiley

Apart from psychotronic's Curious Observatory, it's the only mansion I still haven't mastered... but what's more:
I have to admit: I just don't get it !?  (sorry to report..)

I do not understand the CRUMBS thing...... and I don't even get near the biggest maze (took me weeks -and a look into the editor- to even realise it was there !!)

I have to admit, that I have to play other mansions in-between my tries of MM & M, otherwise I'd go mad....

Is that intended...or am I just too dumb ?? Embarrassed

Why is a carrot more orange than an orange ?
IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #2 - 02.01.2007 at 20:16:39

You are disturbing my beta-testing-work of SPoG! Wink

Midnight Mazes and Monsters
... there is so much to say about it. On the previous boards there were at last 10 threads of which the largest one had 25 pages.

To answer your questions ... more or less.

First of all, this mansion is built up like a tutorial. It starts very easy (Jack can't die!) and ends very hard (the player can die  Grin). The purpose is that a player with limited experience (e.g. the 8 original easy mansions) becomes step by step stronger while playing.

Two: the crumbs. Left of the starting room there is a map that gives you a message about this mansion having a master puzzle. The crumbs are there to help you. Not to frustrate you. But while the rooms are very easy and easy in the beginning of MMaM, the master puzzle is NOT. That doesn't mean that there is a paradox, since not knowing how to use the crumbs in your advantage is not a disaster in the beginning of the mansion. While playing, sooner or later you will get the point!

And finally, something about the size. Well, MMaM has close to 500 rooms. That means that it is huge and no one in the world, including myself, is expecting that you start playing and only stop at the exit door. Besides 34 saving points that give you the possibility to save your game and restart at any other time, I introduced checkpoints in this mansion. MMaM contains 12 checkpoints and each one has a brown blackboard now. On those BBBs you can read what the highest possible amount of secrets and dollars is, when you reach that checkpoint. And then you have the choise: go on OR go back. Midnight Mazes and Monsters is especially designed in a way that, as long as you do NOT enter the final treasure area, you are always in the possibility to return to any place in the whole mansion. Yes indeed, also to the starting room if you want to. (Because there is a secret over there, btw.)

Thus: relax, take your time, do it in shifts, ask for hints on the forum etc.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: 02.12.2007 at 00:00:23 by Freddy »  

IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #3 - 02.01.2007 at 21:39:21

@Freddy:
Sorry...... didn't want to bring you out of the Palace.... Wink

Thanks for your explanations.
Yes, I remember the long discussions about MM & M, and have read parts of it (should 've read them all, I guess).
I had also understood the concept of starting easy and getting harder and harder.

But the crumbs thing, thanks for the clarification of that.... seems that you have to get close to the end to understand it.

And I knew MM&M was big, but to find out it has 34 (!!) save pedestals...wow!  
At least I don't feel too ashamed anymore for not mastering it quick enough.

I also understand the possibility of returning to any place in the mansion.... but isn't there a room at the beginning where you tell people to "avoid backtracking" ?
Ooops....another question...I did it again  Cheesy
Don't want to be responsible for another thread of 25 pages....

Why is a carrot more orange than an orange ?
IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #4 - 03.01.2007 at 01:34:21

aquaMat wrote on 02.01.2007 at 21:39:21:
... But the crumbs thing, thanks for the clarification of that.... seems that you have to get close to the end to understand it. ...

... I also understand the possibility of returning to any place in the mansion.... but isn't there a room at the beginning where you tell people to "avoid backtracking" ? ...

1° Not at all: close to the end. Between checkpoints 4 and 5 things should become very clear. But it IS possible to understand the crumbs-stuff already in the grey area.
2° Yes and no. Avoiding backtracking is solving the masterpuzzle. But since it is a puzzle of which the solution hasn't any connection to a certain point in the mansion, a player must be able to go back. The later you solve the problem, the more backtracking you may have to do.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print