Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Duplicating Jack (Read 13284 times)
Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Duplicating Jack
02.01.2007 at 05:52:02

Is there anyone who remembers how Alexander succeeded in duplicating Jack in
The Dalton Brothers
?

IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Re: Duplicating Jack
Reply #1 - 02.01.2007 at 16:54:11

Freddy wrote on 02.01.2007 at 05:52:02:
Is there anyone who remembers how Alexander succeeded in duplicating Jack in
The Dalton Brothers
?

I remember that one, as I was very impressed by it and started a couple of experiments in that direction myself:
You have to COPY and PASTE a second (or more) Jack into the room you're designing.
Problem is, they all move in sync.

I even succeeded in having several Jacks walk thru a succession of rooms (once, one Jack is entering a new room, the 'clone-Jacks' are "materializing" in that new room at their respective spots.
Unfortunately I did not succeed in creating a really working gameplay with that method (means: the Jacks just move too 'robotic' in sync, which doesn't lend itself to a 'storyline' or something).
The guy who did the Dalton Brothers Mansion must have had the same problem... but I was very impressed, how he managed to come up with a playable mansion (albeit only one room).

About a month ago I tried to work out a MIRROR room, where the second Jack would move as a mirror image of the first.
Well, what can I tell you....

Why is a carrot more orange than an orange ?
IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #2 - 02.01.2007 at 20:31:04

aquaMat wrote on 02.01.2007 at 16:54:11:
... You have to COPY and PASTE a second (or more) Jack into the room you're designing.
Problem is, they all move in sync. ...

I have tried COPY and PASTE, but my "previous" Jack always disappears. So I never get more than one. Sad
What do you mean with "move in sync"?

IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #3 - 02.01.2007 at 21:19:32

Freddy wrote on 02.01.2007 at 20:31:04:
aquaMat wrote on 02.01.2007 at 16:54:11:
... You have to COPY and PASTE a second (or more) Jack into the room you're designing.
Problem is, they all move in sync. ...

I have tried COPY and PASTE, but my "previous" Jack always disappears. So I never get more than one. Sad
What do you mean with "move in sync"?

After I wrote that last reply I went back to my old test mansion with the two Jacks (it still exists), but I couldn't repeat the trick either.
I must have forgotten something. Embarrassed
All I remember is, you had to make a selection square around Jack, then alt+Click (+drag) it to copy + paste a second Jack. But probably there was another little thing i don't remembner, as it works, but as soon as I lift the finger of the mouse, the second Jack vanishes again.

By 'move in-sync' I mean that naturally: when you let one Jack walk in a certain direction all clones duplicate that behaviour.
My dream always was to have one Jack walk thru a mansion, and then suddenly he comes into a room where another Jack is waiting for him.... or where there's a mirror.... stuff like that...!

Where's the designer of the Dalton Bros.?  He might re-tell us the little bit that's missing....  

IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #4 - 02.01.2007 at 23:49:32

Hey Freddy:
I got it.... !!

I experimented a bit...until finally it worked:

You have to make a selection square,  alt+click/drag to copy additional Jacks and then DO NOT click on anything else. but select comnd-O (to open another room). When asked "save this room?" you prompt yes.
Then select another room, as if you want to open it, then return to the original room...and voilà - all Jack clones are still there.

Guess I'll fool around with it a bit more.... it's fun !

IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #5 - 03.01.2007 at 02:37:22

Smiley Thanks for the info. It really works. But continuing in a next room is very very strange.

EDIT: And have you seen that although the Jacks move sync, they do NOT sleep together! Grin Or play yoyo?
« Last Edit: 03.01.2007 at 04:01:19 by Freddy »  

IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #6 - 03.01.2007 at 17:35:10

Freddy wrote on 03.01.2007 at 02:37:22:
Smiley EDIT: And have you seen that although the Jacks move sync, they do NOT sleep together! Grin Or play yoyo?

Oh yes.... Wink

But wait.... last night I managed to let one Jack come pretty close to another Jack..... he was almost harassing him from behind Smiley
..... with the help of a conveyor belt you can decrease the "fixed distance" between two Jacks until the point where..... (censored).

Maybe I'll create a little XXX movie later...

IP Logged

Maniac
Lost One

Below the earth
Reply #7 - 06.01.2007 at 07:48:42

Hmm, so that's how you do that...

I'm tempted to temporarily cease development on Smallsome Swicks in order to start a new mansion with puzzles exploiting this quirk.

Vern, this behavior was definitely not intended, right? But at least it's consistent with your assumptions when you made the program, right?

IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #8 - 06.01.2007 at 17:17:52

Mmmmm ...

I am thinking about making a small mansion with this feature, that I will NOT release. But I want to release ... the movie of it!!!

Yesterday I succeeded in doing very very odd and funny things. But it seems almost impossible to make a mansion from it that may be "played".

How about Jack no. 2 flying over the head of Jack no. 1? Or Jack playing yoyo while sleeping? Ever seen him playing with 4 yoyo's? Opening a blue door from a distance? One Jack suddenly becoming two?

Simple: you will not believe your eyes! Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Reply #9 - 06.01.2007 at 20:37:52

I was just creating 2 very simple rooms with 2 Jacks.  Amazing effects!  Definitely worth experimenting with this.

A stuck Jack is better than no jack

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print