Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12
Send Topic Print
Church (Read 80844 times)
Psychotronic
Explorer

Alaska
Re: Church
Reply #70 - 27.03.2007 at 12:42:38

Okay, so I sort of finished the mansion. It's obviously the last room, but I can't figure out how to go actually exit. I'm pressing UP in what should be the right place (and everywhere else nearby) but the level doesn't end. That's bug number one.

Bug number two is in SPOILERS
Hell, in the room with five nearly motionless eyeballs and a single medusa head lording it over a big row of skeletons. There's two ladders that lead down from that room, but if Jack takes one, he gets stuck in the room with a million money bags on conveyor belts, and everything is behind a big grey wall, and I can't go back up the ladder. I managed to glitch my way out by randomly jumping around until I hit the floor without dying, but I skipped most of Hell and went straight to the treasure rooms. Either those ladders aren't supposed to be there, or there used to be a different room underneath them.
END SPOILERS. I didn't want anyone to know where the story eventually led Jack. It was terrifying.

In fact, all my favorite parts shouldn't really be spoiled for anyone who hasn't seen them yet, so I'm gonna yellow the rest of this. Some of my favorite bits:

The grinning lightning demon. Holy awesome.

That creature you see on the left when you're climbing the ladder right after you go through the portal. The one with two legs, three teeth, and a big eyeball. I have named him Granticulus, and he is my friend.

The sort of elevator contraption you fall into when you're descending into hell. That was neat.

The vine made of skeletons.

The vibrating super platform.

The giant black cracks in the walls near the beginning, and the weird black clouds in that one room.

When you first go into SPACE. The stars are pretty.

That's just what I can remember off the top of my head. There's some surprisingly good level design, in terms of layout, too. The library was a lot of fun, and the big storage area. Fun for the brain, and the fingers. But mainly, there's some crazy visual surprise in almost every room, and that really made it fun, even though I died and had to restart three or four times. I got to see all that cool stuff again.

On the topic of cheap deaths - I would say that there wasn't a single unavoidable death in the whole first half of the mansion. I would say that the general forbidding atmosphere kept me from leaping around wildly, and the few times I wandered painfully off a ledge, I noticed a fairly obvious visual clue a half-second later that would have saved my life if I had been paying attention.

There were a couple of weird things later in the mansion, but most of them can be solved by taking your fingers off the keys and letting Jack fall where the mansion makes him fall. When I died, it was usually because I was trying to adjust his fall, and that would throw off the timing of something or other. It was worth the occasional misfire to see the crazy, Sonic-the-Hedgehog-style trip through almost-certain death that followed.

So, great job, Sam. It's your best one yet, and I'm sure to give it another shot just to see everything again. By the way, I had a spare green key when I
finally got to Hell.
I think it's an extra.

IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #71 - 27.03.2007 at 17:25:40

ryos wrote on 27.03.2007 at 10:34:32:
Quote:
I have to keep replaying from the beginning and everytime I get a bit further... but there's simply a certain number of deaths I can't avoid....which strikes me as a bit odd.

You know what's really funny is that I made it to the first pedestal without restarting once, due almost entirely to an awareness and paranoia gained whilst playing DoD. I may have had zero lives, but I made it.

So, uh..thanks? Tongue

Hah...that's great  Cheesy Grin   (Knew it was good for something...!)
In Church..... it took me about 4 or 5 restarts from the beginning until I reached the first save pedestal..... and now I'm about to repeat that process re-starting from save 1....!! Wink

Why is a carrot more orange than an orange ?
IP Logged

ryos
Explorer

Colorado, USA

Utah, USA
Reply #72 - 27.03.2007 at 23:02:14

Yeah, there need to be more pedestals. I wish there were one in 15082, for example.

"Fun game: try to post a YouTube comment so stupid that people realize you must be joking.  (Hint: this is impossible)" -Randall Munroe

IP Logged

Amplifyed
Adventurer

Formally known as "Sam
S."

Down the hall on the 3rd right
Reply #73 - 28.03.2007 at 05:29:20

I'll improve the mansion a little bit. That extra green key was going to be for the end, but I forgot about it. I'll also erase some unavoidable deaths.... And add a save place  Shocked

-Vintage Octopus-

IP Logged

Anthony
YaBB Administrator

Nova Scotia, Canada

Canada
Reply #74 - 28.03.2007 at 08:35:59

There where so many x-treme hard things... like jumps where you have to go to the VERY edge to make. Hated those.

Afew things about it:
While Jack is riding down the pole to "the source.." I had to cheat because there was a save pedestal like 1000 miles back. Anyways... did you test going down it? I died a million times to fall just the right time and at the right speed! I think you copy-pasted some zappers! That leads to certain death to Jack! I would have been at -58 lives without cheats at least!  Undecided

Did you know i heard rumors that the "rock on" symbol was made up in a satanic rock concert... just wanted to tell you.

Anthony Duchesne ~ Original designer of Castle Basano, Leofani Manor and Jasperlone Mountains
Anthony AnthonyDuch http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=590111070  
IP Logged

Amplifyed
Adventurer

Formally known as "Sam
S."

Down the hall on the 3rd right
Reply #75 - 28.03.2007 at 09:21:19

Dang! Where did you find that out?

-Vintage Octopus-

IP Logged

Psychotronic
Explorer

Alaska
Reply #76 - 28.03.2007 at 09:32:49

I think that fits with the mansion theme pretty well, eh?

Anyway, I forgot to say thanks for the Dr. Tronic's Zoo shout-outs. Together, the snake machine, the bird machine, and the scorpion machine will be unstoppable!

IP Logged

ryos
Explorer

Colorado, USA

Utah, USA
Reply #77 - 28.03.2007 at 11:54:56

I never have any trouble sliding down the pole. If you make sure to follow the path of the coins, and then let go of the left key as soon as Jack crosses the boundary between rooms, you should be fine.

"Fun game: try to post a YouTube comment so stupid that people realize you must be joking.  (Hint: this is impossible)" -Randall Munroe

IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #78 - 28.03.2007 at 16:52:49

Sam,
in that green tower-ish room somewhere after the 2nd save pedestal (sorry I haven't got the room no.), with several shorter and 2 longer vines and a very fast green moving platform:
Is it possible at all to jump on that platform from the vine, once it is moving ??

I never could !!
Thus my game always ends there....

Or have I missed something ?

Why is a carrot more orange than an orange ?
IP Logged

Anthony
YaBB Administrator

Nova Scotia, Canada

Canada
Reply #79 - 28.03.2007 at 19:18:36

That room was labeled X-treme hard for me. It is possible, but hard. But the pole ride is sooo hard I lost at least 50 lives with cheating!  Shocked I think you should make your mansions abit easier to beat! I didn't get it like ryos said.  Cry Loved it how you made the cruser and monsters nearly fall on Jack when you warned jack from going into the demension to the source.  Tongue

Anthony Duchesne ~ Original designer of Castle Basano, Leofani Manor and Jasperlone Mountains
Anthony AnthonyDuch http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=590111070  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12
Send Topic Print