Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12
Send Topic Print
Church (Read 80829 times)
ryos
Explorer

Colorado, USA

Utah, USA
Re: Church
Reply #80 - 28.03.2007 at 23:15:11

@aquaMat:
If you jump from the top of the short vine right as the moving platform is closest to you, then you will hit it every time. (And yes, I died a lot before I figured that out.  Shocked)

I think that all the platforms two rooms up are harder! There's a trick to those too, but it's still hard to pull off (at least for me; I suck at moving platforms).

"Fun game: try to post a YouTube comment so stupid that people realize you must be joking.  (Hint: this is impossible)" -Randall Munroe

IP Logged

Amplifyed
Adventurer

Formally known as "Sam
S."

Down the hall on the 3rd right
Reply #81 - 29.03.2007 at 05:12:56

I diddn't know my mansions were so hard!

-Vintage Octopus-

IP Logged

Anthony
YaBB Administrator

Nova Scotia, Canada

Canada
Reply #82 - 29.03.2007 at 05:40:26

You mean....... you NEVER BEAT THE MANSION FROM START TO UNDERWORLD????  Shocked Shocked Shocked BTW: Where's the winning spot in the Underworld? Can't find it! (Make hint in yellow) It's good if you play from start to finish with your mansion. I stongly recommend that you test each room and make sure they're beatable. Hey, I didn't do it for Volcanis until I did that movie that was 45 mins! Tongue

Anthony Duchesne ~ Original designer of Castle Basano, Leofani Manor and Jasperlone Mountains
Anthony AnthonyDuch http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=590111070  
IP Logged

Amplifyed
Adventurer

Formally known as "Sam
S."

Down the hall on the 3rd right
Reply #83 - 29.03.2007 at 06:29:59

I think It's through the yellow door. I thought It was all beta tested. I went through the mansion twice myself. I also sent It to a few beta- testers

-Vintage Octopus-

IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #84 - 29.03.2007 at 17:39:42

Ahem..... excuse me.... now that shocks me quite a bit, Sam. You only went through your own mansion TWICE from start to finish ?!?  Shocked

I can't believe it..... (and that explains a few of the design mistakes)....  I went through the Palaces and Discotheque about 50 times each before release (and they were still not perfect) !!

Now I understand why -although filled with wonderful ideas and wild room design- all your mansions seem to share one feature:
the relation between difficulty and saving posts, and/or money being given out, is not perfect. Especially the first save usually comes way too late.

Apart from that I found a few of the following "oddities" in Church:

- several doors can be "jumped upon" (meaning: Jack can jump ON the closed door and thus is able to simply jump behind it without having a key), sometimes this happens in conjunction with other things: e.g. in room 15705 Jack can jump on the top of the red door in the upper left coner (near the belt), and from then on further up, into some hidden caveat.... I thought it might be a hidden area, but I walked on and died of a sudden fall to the ground !!

- occasionally some of those wonderful "elevator machines" you created are mulfunctioning (the same button suddenly triggers the platform ABOVE the one it has triggered before...and you have to leave the room before getting it to work again!

But especially the last point is far outweighed by the wonderfulness of most of these platform-related automatic-transporter-machines (I don't know what else to call them)...they are fantastic !!  As you might know I have experimented with moving sidewalks and elevators etc. quite a bit myself, and you have certainly taken the concept a step futher!!  I especially like the one room, where Jack is moved through at a very high speed and immediatly behind him a block platforms shuts his way back like a door.... great stuff. Wink

(Sorry for this rather long post...)

Why is a carrot more orange than an orange ?
IP Logged

brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Reply #85 - 29.03.2007 at 17:53:38

aquaMat, if you read Sam's post carefully, you see that he had his mansion beta tested by other players.  That is how beta testing works.  Not by you replaying your own mansion x times because you are not the best beta tester for you own mansion, which you know so well that it is easy for you to miss the spots that might bug other players.  Of course the builder has to test every single room and whether Jack can go between rooms without any flaws.  After that the mansion is in the hands of the testers, which are, IMO, much more likely to find the weaknesses of the mansion than the builder.  Whether the builder accepts all of the testers' comments and whether the testers do an excellent job is quite another story.

A stuck Jack is better than no jack

IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #86 - 30.03.2007 at 01:38:40

brell.... while what you say is of course true...(and I know that obviously) I still find important that a designer is playing his own mansion from start to finish as often as possible.
'Cause he designed it, he also knows it best....and even if he doesn't have the distance to find certain things a beta-tester can find, it is alo often the case that a designer -simply because he knows his mansion so well- will find other problems, issues or faults which a beta-tester will not spot immediately.

IMHO it's the combination that works best.  Wink

(BTW, I don't want to come across narrow-minded or something.... but if - like in The Church's case - something as obvious as the missing music error-message hasn't been spotted during beta-testing, I'm not too sure about the depth of testing that went on....).

Why is a carrot more orange than an orange ?
IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #87 - 30.03.2007 at 04:16:10

aquaMat wrote on 30.03.2007 at 01:38:40:
I still find important that a designer is playing his own mansion from start to finish as often as possible.

That sounds logically, but depends from the mansion. MMaM could be released without a single play through the whole mansion. But that had to do with its rather exceptional construction. MMaM is one of the rare mansion that really can be cut in pieces without any harm or problem ...

IP Logged

Spiak
Wanderer

Rochester, NY
Reply #88 - 08.04.2007 at 10:47:48

Psychotronic wrote on 27.03.2007 at 12:42:38:
Okay, so I sort of finished the mansion. It's obviously the last room, but I can't figure out how to go actually exit. I'm pressing UP in what should be the right place (and everywhere else nearby) but the level doesn't end. That's bug number one.

I with you there Psycho. I tried everything I could to find an exit in that room, and nothing. I can't play any more MM until I get my suspended game of Church finished!!!

!!! Help !!!

Spiak  
IP Logged

ryos
Explorer

Colorado, USA

Utah, USA
Reply #89 - 08.04.2007 at 11:43:40

You could always back up the suspended game file.

"Fun game: try to post a YouTube comment so stupid that people realize you must be joking.  (Hint: this is impossible)" -Randall Munroe

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12
Send Topic Print