Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Mansion Repository (Read 13605 times)
Alan Falcon
Wanderer

Vegas, baby
Re: Mansion Repository
Reply #10 - 04.02.2008 at 16:40:57

ryos wrote on 04.02.2008 at 09:51:33:
Wow, this is something I didn't expect to see resurrected, a year later.

Haha, yeah, I've been brining back some very old threads recently. Smiley  What can I say? I've been missing a long time!

I personally prefer automated systems... and wish that I could have figured out a fully automated system for the old old boards/fansite.  But we do have people here who seem to be very good about taking on the manual labor, and if the mansion designers and players here think that the system works, I suppose there is no need to fix it. Smiley

ryos, Maybe Vern will want something like this for his upcoming Space Shooter?

-------> Original Designer of 'Falcon Manor', 'Chateau de Medusa'
-------> Now making iPhone games at FalconEmpire.com
IP Logged

Toybox
Treasure Hunter

Kiel, Germany
Reply #11 - 09.03.2008 at 02:19:27

Right, I will transmit some feedback about accessibility of custom mansions from my brother. These are certainly valid comments, inasmuch as they actually reflect the opinion of a real non-forum MM player: so, it is possible that others feel the same but, not being members (or brothers of members!) of the forum we don't get the feedback here.

Let's hope I won't distort too much his opinion. Bear in mind that I'm only the messenger here - I do not suggest any solution or improvement with respect to his comments. (On the other hand, if what I write is unclear, please let me know and I will try my best to shed some light.)

He finds it hard to find the place where custom mansions can be downloaded. I mean, not to find that place when you are on the forums (although, that too) but once you have just opened your internet browser and the first place you think of visiting is actionsoft.com.

Actually, the fact that you need to go and visit the forums "is not user-friendly". The forums are not the most obvious place to look for custom levels - it is too confidential, more fan-oriented (not oriented towards the casual player). He would find a specially dedicated page more sensible, where you can get custom mansions (and with a link from the actionsoft page, say).

But, even once you are on the forum homepage, finding out where the CMs can be downloaded is too much trouble. The link to newest mansions on top is good, but where are the old mansions?

Also, information on each mansions is not sufficiently accessible. For example, while he did find the all-CMs-pack (by googling!), there was no readily available information on the author of each mansion. This is typically something he would have liked to see more obviously displayed: like books, or movies, it is often a guide as to what sort of atmosphere you can expect.

profile picture 'The Book of Secrets'
(c) Marta Bevacqua http://m0thyyku.deviantart.com/
IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #12 - 09.03.2008 at 18:57:39

Seen from the perspective of a casual player, I guess you're absolutely right.
Even if I felt until now (for us insiders) it is clear enough where to look for custom mansions, I absolutely believe what you say is true.

And I absolutely second the opinion on information about authors, difficulty etc..... this should be more visible !

Why is a carrot more orange than an orange ?
IP Logged

Toybox
Treasure Hunter

Kiel, Germany
Reply #13 - 09.03.2008 at 19:29:33

For us insiders, we even don't really need much more than the Latest Mansions feature  Wink

IP Logged

brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Reply #14 - 09.03.2008 at 19:43:32

Toybox wrote on 09.03.2008 at 02:19:27:
(snip)

He finds it hard to find the place where custom mansions can be downloaded. I mean, not to find that place when you are on the forums (although, that too) but once you have just opened your internet browser and the first place you think of visiting is actionsoft.com.

Actually, the fact that you need to go and visit the forums "is not user-friendly". The forums are not the most obvious place to look for custom levels - it is too confidential, more fan-oriented (not oriented towards the casual player). He would find a specially dedicated page more sensible, where you can get custom mansions (and with a link from the actionsoft page, say).

To address this problem we would need Vern's assistance.  I see two solutions:
1. To make the link clearer and clearly state on Actionsoft's homepage that you can find MM custom mansions on the forum.
2. To keep the CM's on a separate page altogether, but clearly accessible from both AS homepage and the MM forums.

But, even once you are on the forum homepage, finding out where the CMs can be downloaded is too much trouble. The link to newest mansions on top is good, but where are the old mansions?

Also, information on each mansions is not sufficiently accessible. For example, while he did find the all-CMs-pack (by googling!), there was no readily available information on the author of each mansion. This is typically something he would have liked to see more obviously displayed: like books, or movies, it is often a guide as to what sort of atmosphere you can expect.

Now I cannot agree at all.  The CM board is clearly marked "Download your custom mansions here" and once inside you can find the mansions sorted by name, by release date and by author.  There are also information about the CM's difficulty at the download pages.

A stuck Jack is better than no jack

IP Logged

Toybox
Treasure Hunter

Kiel, Germany
Reply #15 - 09.03.2008 at 20:46:29

brell wrote on 09.03.2008 at 19:43:32:

Now I cannot agree at all.  The CM board is clearly marked "Download your custom mansions here" and once inside you can find the mansions sorted by name, by release date and by author.  There are also information about the CM's difficulty at the download pages.

Well, as I said I'm just relaying his opinion. Once you find the correct page with classification by author / date / name, all desired info is easy to get (and clearly displayed, in my opinion). However, see the caveat below.

What the reaction shows essentially is:
- if he had the problem (even due to lack of patience) it is possible that others have problems too. We might need more feedback, but that would be feedback from people who aren't registered on the forum and therefore difficult to obtain.
- while the page is fairly easy to access if you put your mind at it, some players won't really do it and will give up easily at the first difficulty. Surely we forum people know our way pretty well around here, but how does it feel for an outsider?

The promised caveat is that the CM download threads are located towards the middle of the boards and somewhat hidden among the conversations. Hidden, because they are not really highlighted (same colour, same font size, whatever), so you still need to do the effort of actually reading thread titles in order to find out the correct one.

To arrange this, would it be possible to include a link to http://www.actionsoft.com/forums/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=005 as close to the top of the forum homepage as possible?

IP Logged

brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Reply #16 - 09.03.2008 at 21:02:37

Toybox wrote on 09.03.2008 at 20:46:29:
brell wrote on 09.03.2008 at 19:43:32:

Now I cannot agree at all.  The CM board is clearly marked "Download your custom mansions here" and once inside you can find the mansions sorted by name, by release date and by author.  There are also information about the CM's difficulty at the download pages.

Well, as I said I'm just relaying his opinion. Once you find the correct page with classification by author / date / name, all desired info is easy to get (and clearly displayed, in my opinion). However, see the caveat below.

What the reaction shows essentially is:
- if he had the problem (even due to lack of patience) it is possible that others have problems too. We might need more feedback, but that would be feedback from people who aren't registered on the forum and therefore difficult to obtain.
- while the page is fairly easy to access if you put your mind at it, some players won't really do it and will give up easily at the first difficulty. Surely we forum people know our way pretty well around here, but how does it feel for an outsider?

The promised caveat is that the CM download threads are located towards the middle of the boards and somewhat hidden among the conversations. Hidden, because they are not really highlighted (same colour, same font size, whatever), so you still need to do the effort of actually reading thread titles in order to find out the correct one.

To arrange this, would it be possible to include a link to http://www.actionsoft.com/forums/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=005 as close to the top of the forum homepage as possible?

Agree on the different color/size, link is now included in the news at the top of the forums.

IP Logged

Toybox
Treasure Hunter

Kiel, Germany
Reply #17 - 09.03.2008 at 21:29:28

Thank you  Smiley

IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #18 - 09.03.2008 at 21:55:23

Maybe it would also help to rename the download thread.

It now says: "Lists of completed mansions", which is a bit misleading for the casual observer, I guess. What is a "completed mansion" ?
Is it one I finished playing ? Or what ?  (the casual observer might think).

Why not call it: "Lists of downloadable Custom Mansions" or something to that effect ?!

Why is a carrot more orange than an orange ?
IP Logged

brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Reply #19 - 09.03.2008 at 22:54:33

Agreed.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print