Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Defying the Laws of Gravity (Read 11829 times)
arevn
Explorer

Canadian cyberspace

Canadian cyberspace
Defying the Laws of Gravity
18.02.2007 at 01:10:36

I've seen this come up in several mansions, but, since I'm currently playing MM&M, I'll use an example from there. It's in room 17115.

If Jack climbs all the steps and jumps down from the tallest one, he goes SPLAT when he lands on the area where the scorpion is playing. But if he jumps over the tallest step from the second tallest one, he lands on his feet!

Since I've seen this 'trick' used in at least one other mansion besides MM&M where (like in this room) I couldn't go on unless I made this gravity-defying jump, I'm guessing this isn't a game bug.

So, my question is, how come this works and how do I duplicate it???

Arevn

IP Logged

rose
Treasure Hunter

Sweden
Re: Defying the Laws of Gravity
Reply #1 - 18.02.2007 at 01:33:14

Can't help you on the duplication thing as I haven't tried to make my own mansion yet, BUT why jack doesn't die when he is jumping from the second tallest step is probably because he isn't as high up when he starts the jump. Somewhere in the instructions to the game it states it has to do with how high Jack fall if he dies or not!

IP Logged

arevn
Explorer

Canadian cyberspace

Canadian cyberspace
Reply #2 - 18.02.2007 at 01:38:26

rose wrote on 18.02.2007 at 01:33:14:
BUT why jack doesn't die when he is jumping from the second tallest step is probably because he isn't as high up when he starts the jump. Somewhere in the instructions to the game it states it has to do with how high Jack fall if he dies or not!

That's why I'm so confused--whether he jumps from the 2nd to last or last step, he still 'falls' from the same height... Curious.

Arevn

IP Logged

Semi-Native
YaBB Administrator

Orlando, FL  USA
Reply #3 - 18.02.2007 at 01:42:18

I think it might have to do with his starting point to the ground, not how high he jumps.

IP Logged

rose
Treasure Hunter

Sweden
Reply #4 - 18.02.2007 at 01:47:37

That is what I meant. He isn't falling from top of the jump!

IP Logged

arevn
Explorer

Canadian cyberspace

Canadian cyberspace
Reply #5 - 18.02.2007 at 02:23:00

Semi-Native wrote on 18.02.2007 at 01:42:18:
I think it might have to do with his starting point to the ground, not how high he jumps.

Aaaaaaah. Sounds like a loophole to me, but anyway...

Arevn

IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #6 - 18.02.2007 at 03:14:52

I took the MMaM-example by the hand. And the answer on your question is very easy. Jack can step, walk, jump, even stumble safely down from maximum 6 bricks high. In the case that Jack JUMPS, it doesn't matter if he jumps over something or not.

IP Logged

ryos
Explorer

Colorado, USA

Utah, USA
Reply #7 - 18.02.2007 at 03:51:07

In other words, the game determines whether to kill Jack on a fall or not based on where he jumps from, not on the highest point he reached while jumping

"Fun game: try to post a YouTube comment so stupid that people realize you must be joking.  (Hint: this is impossible)" -Randall Munroe

IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #8 - 18.02.2007 at 03:57:28

Indeed. But in a matter of fact, I don't see what you all mean with the "highest point" of Jack. As far as I know, Jack can't jump "a little bit". He is always going to the same height while jumping. The length of his jumps is variable, but the height isn't!

IP Logged

arevn
Explorer

Canadian cyberspace

Canadian cyberspace
Reply #9 - 18.02.2007 at 10:32:51

Freddy wrote on 18.02.2007 at 03:57:28:
Indeed. But in a matter of fact, I don't see what you all mean with the "highest point" of Jack. As far as I know, Jack can't jump "a little bit". He is always going to the same height while jumping. The length of his jumps is variable, but the height isn't!

What he means is what I've understood--Jack starts the jump at six blocks from the floor, but at the peak of his jump arc he is at least eight blocks from the floor (since the top block is seven blocks from the floor and he's jumping higher than that).

Interesting loophole.

Arevn

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print