Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Signs (Read 46380 times)
aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Re: Signs
Reply #40 - 15.03.2007 at 02:15:46

I think it would only be fair, if no custom-graphics and / or custom-anything mansions will be allowed to participate.

Imagine how unfair it would be, for somebody who cannot do custom stuff, but otherwise builds fantastic mansions.... he'd probably have less chances to win, just because all the custom mansions look so new and brilliant, compared to him using those same old bricks.

No. We need the same chances for everybody. Same tools for everybody. Same set of sprites and tiles for everybody.
Then we can start comparing the mansions.

Why is a carrot more orange than an orange ?
IP Logged

Anthony
YaBB Administrator

Nova Scotia, Canada

Canada
Reply #41 - 15.03.2007 at 02:22:05

I agree with AquaMat.

Anthony Duchesne ~ Original designer of Castle Basano, Leofani Manor and Jasperlone Mountains
Anthony AnthonyDuch http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=590111070  
IP Logged

Psychotronic
Explorer

Alaska
Reply #42 - 15.03.2007 at 02:53:01

aquaMat wrote on 15.03.2007 at 02:15:46:
Imagine how unfair it would be, for somebody who cannot do custom stuff, but otherwise builds fantastic mansions.... he'd probably have less chances to win, just because all the custom mansions look so new and brilliant, compared to him using those same old bricks.

Trust me. As a judge, I can guarantee that mansions with custom graphics will not have an unfair advantage. Design always comes first and foremost.

IP Logged

ryos
Explorer

Colorado, USA

Utah, USA
Reply #43 - 15.03.2007 at 02:55:59

I disagree with aquaMat. Competitions are about competing. You wouldn't say to an athlete who has an extraordinary ability that s/he can't use it in competition just because nobody else can match it.

That's assuming Vern is OK with a built-in mansion extending the base graphics, which he seemed to be in his last post. You could make a case that the built-in mansions should showcase the built-in sprites, but you could also make the case that if a built-in mansion includes sprites, those sprites are built-in and the mansion is showcasing them. Smiley But that decision is, of course, up to Vern, and will probably be clarified more once the official rules are released.

(I would, however, love to see SFJ made separately from the contest, if only because I don't want to see it limited by the contest rules. I want to play it as Joe originally planned to build it. Wink)

"Fun game: try to post a YouTube comment so stupid that people realize you must be joking.  (Hint: this is impossible)" -Randall Munroe

IP Logged

joeb
Adventurer

Reply #44 - 15.03.2007 at 03:20:05

I'm confused. I thought that 1.08 was about allowing easier custom graphics and that there would be a standard - custom category.  Doesn't matter to me as I've started putting mansions together so they can flip either way but there is a huge difference in look and I thought that was what Vern was after. I guess we should wait until he lays out the rules.

Just my opinion,

Joe B

IP Logged

joeb
Adventurer

Reply #45 - 15.03.2007 at 03:43:56

Quote:
I would, however, love to see SFJ made separately from the contest, if only because I don't want to see it limited by the contest rules. I want to play it as Joe originally planned to build it.

Looking at SFJ there is just no way it could fly without the sounds, especially the mad monkeys. I tried those rooms flat and they just didn't cut it. So...

Now we have a PRE-QUEL that will actually come BEFORE the SEQUEL. So how did Jack get Lost and Jill have to go searching for him?

Jack Malone - Ghosthunter
(And for those who disagree with the name because ghosts have a reputation of being EVIL I point out Casper
Cool Cool Cool)

Jack goes to ________ to snatch gold from a nasty ghost and his _________. He runs around in a _________
and thru ________ and finally arrives at the ____________ where he uses his smarts to beat the critters and puzzles in the _____________ and gets to the gold.
End of JMG
BUT HE NEVER RETURNS.......
Jack's sister Jill gets worried and sets out on a quest to locate her brother but first needs to visit his mansion to get clues as to where exactly he went. The clues lead her on a romp thru different scenarios until she discovers the ____________ and realizes that's where Jack is and sets about to rescue him.

The above accomplishes 2 things; first I can do Ghosthunter with or without custom graphics (custom obviously prefferable). Second I don't have to shortchange SFG by limiting it to 80 rooms. The original was around 118 and with scenario I could see it getting to 150 pretty easily.
There's also a third thing which is being a proponent of Murphy's law I already have the structure for Ghosthunter on paper (72 rooms) and will just need to build and test it now. A week or two at the most.

Thoughts??????

Joe B

IP Logged

Psychotronic
Explorer

Alaska
Reply #46 - 15.03.2007 at 03:51:02

I forgot about the standard/custom categories. I don't know whether that's happening or not. That would make things easier, but there don't seem to be very many people who have the tech know-how to do the custom graphics. You did a whole tutorial on it, though, so everybody who wants to put the time in to learn should be on equal footing.

But you're right: part of the expansion's purpose is to showcase MM's ability to support easier custom graphics, and I'm sure Vern would like to encourage mansion designers to include them. For my part, I consider the basic design of the mansion before anything else, but if a mansion designer makes custom graphics, and they contribute to the atmosphere and fun of a mansion, then that's a part of good design.

I just wanted to emphasize that if we do judge mansions with custom graphics directly against those without, the newness and brilliantness of the new graphics would not give a mediocre mansion an unfair advantage over a great mansion.

And let's remember, the expansion will come with a full set of new and fresh graphics for everyone to play with. So to a certain extent, everybody who participates will be using custom graphics.

And lastly, the way the program has worked since 1.0.7 (or 1.0.6, I forget), is that you can add as many or as few custom tiles to your mansions as you like. You don't have to overhaul the whole graphics engine. A mansion could use one or two new tiles very effectively. We just haven't seen a lot of that yet, what with the trend towards total mods. You can get some very nice effects without having a lot of graphic art skill. Take it from me.

IP Logged

Psychotronic
Explorer

Alaska
Reply #47 - 15.03.2007 at 03:55:42

joeb wrote on 15.03.2007 at 03:43:56:
[quote]
Jack Malone - Ghosthunter
(And for those who disagree with the name because ghosts have a reputation of being EVIL I point out Casper
Cool Cool Cool)

That's right. Pour gasoline on that fire.

Quote:
Thoughts??????

Have you seen the screenshot of the new expansion monsters? You may want to wait for that before you build Ghosthunter.

IP Logged

joeb
Adventurer

Reply #48 - 15.03.2007 at 04:11:01

Quote:
That's right. Pour gasoline on that fire.

Embarrassed Embarrassed
Quote:

Have you seen the screenshot of the new expansion monsters? You may want to wait for that before you build Ghosthunter.

NO! Where?

Quote:
A mansion could use one or two new tiles very effectively. We just haven't seen a lot of that yet, what with the trend towards total mods. You can get some very nice effects without having a lot of graphic art skill. Take it from me.

Uhhh, the Money Pit for example maybe. I only used 5 or 6 custom tiles there.

I thought the contest would be before the expansion pack came out. Are new critters with 1.08 or the expansion pack.

Joe B

IP Logged

Psychotronic
Explorer

Alaska
Reply #49 - 15.03.2007 at 04:25:00

Man, I looked for that screenshot, and now I can't find it. Maybe it was on the old forums. There was a ghost in it, and I think some kind of troll and a bug.

I thought that the contest was going to be with the expansion pack, which would of course include the new mosters and graphics. Vern was talking about releasing a limited version of the expansion pack to participants. I'd count on that.

I forgot the Money Pit had custom tiles. I'll have to go back and look at that - see what you did. I think I got stuck on it and never finished, so I might have missed some stuff.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print