Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
More categories? (Read 14155 times)
Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
More categories?
25.02.2007 at 02:44:46

Our boards have 4 categories: from Announcements to Free Chat.

I saw the post from Wingy and although it isn't getting out of hand (yet), it is true that the Custom Mansions Area has 11 boards now and that step by step it will increase. Each time that we feel that there is a real need to, we add a Talk / xxx.

We can NOT make subforums with this software. But ... we can make extra categories of course.

What we could do is splitting the category Custom Mansions Area in four new categories:
CMA / List of Completed Mansions (with the download-lists)
CMA / Talk about the Completed Mansions
CMA / Designing (with Art, Building tips and tricks)
CMA / Free Up- and Downloading (with experimental and unfinished stuff)

Question is: is these really of any help? It almost feels that the total list is only getting longer because there are more category-names and it doesn't change the total amount of boards.

Like to know your opinion.

IP Logged

ryos
Explorer

Colorado, USA

Utah, USA
Re: More categories?
Reply #1 - 25.02.2007 at 03:47:57

I agree with Wingy that the boards for individual mansions, while not quite out of control yet, are getting there fast. I've noticed that there aren't very many posts in any given individual mansion forum, so I have to wonder if it's really necessary to have them as separate boards.

What's wrong with lots of posts about lots of different mansions in the Talk forum? It's not like we get much post traffic, or that it's particularly hard to find what you're looking for in the history of these low-volume forums. Just get rid of the boards for individual mansions, even (*gasp*) MMaM. Problem solved.

"Fun game: try to post a YouTube comment so stupid that people realize you must be joking.  (Hint: this is impossible)" -Randall Munroe

IP Logged

Anthony
YaBB Administrator

Nova Scotia, Canada

Canada
Reply #2 - 25.02.2007 at 03:58:34

That's right, everyone agree with me!  Smiley

Anthony Duchesne ~ Original designer of Castle Basano, Leofani Manor and Jasperlone Mountains
Anthony AnthonyDuch http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=590111070  
IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #3 - 25.02.2007 at 06:16:26

The previous boards learned that one single forum for all custom mansions also doesn't work. Nobody is looking for an answer on a question when there are a few hundred topics and a few thousand posts. Result: the same question reappears fot the 4th or 5th time.

More reactions from other forummembers?

EDIT: Talk has 57 topics now and the special "talks" have an extra 30 topics together. Undecided

IP Logged

Anthony
YaBB Administrator

Nova Scotia, Canada

Canada
Reply #4 - 25.02.2007 at 06:41:11

How about older completed mansions are moved back to "Talk?" after along time?  Huh

Anthony Duchesne ~ Original designer of Castle Basano, Leofani Manor and Jasperlone Mountains
IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #5 - 26.02.2007 at 00:24:27

The only comment I have:

In the last week or so, I've noticed it gets harder and harder to see every new post and keep track of where was what etc. and the reason for this is that we currently have many discussions going on at once (a good thing) but spread out over many boards and even more threads.... so it can happen that similar things are discussed in two or more diffferent categories.

(e.g. Dominator related custom graphic tips.... or -more recently- the question for Jill's hair-color that showed up in two different threads).

What do I want to say with this?  I rather plead for less categories (resulting in more threads in each category) than the other way round to minimise the need of changing pages and the possibility of getting lost.

Also I think we should not create a category for an individual mansion, unless the post traffic for that resp. mansion is really getting out of hand. Like -in the old boards - M M & M really DID need an individual category. StarCraft for example, at this point of time, IMHO, does not.

Why is a carrot more orange than an orange ?
IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #6 - 26.02.2007 at 05:47:05

aquaMat wrote on 26.02.2007 at 00:24:27:
... Also I think we should not create a category for an individual mansion, unless the post traffic for that resp. mansion is really getting out of hand. Like -in the old boards - M M & M really DID need an individual category. ...

It IS indeed very difficult to decide when we need to make a new board and when not. In the case of
StarCraft
we may have been too fast. But we know that Wingy is planning many more episodes. So that was why. For
Dominator
it is more or less the same. We are expecting a lot of posts. In the case of MMaM (on these new boards), on Vern's demand, it was only shown as an example. Not more. Although it has 13 topics now.

In my opinion a large amount of topics is much worse than a large amount of posts in one topic. Not knowing WHERE to start is more confusing than having to start in the right, but huge archive.

IP Logged

Anthony
YaBB Administrator

Nova Scotia, Canada

Canada
Reply #7 - 26.02.2007 at 07:46:25

Wingy isn't making any more starcraft episodes, I'm afraid. But anyone who wants to, go ahead and it will go in as a StarCraft episode!  Smiley

IP Logged

sherryl199
Explorer

Wilmington, NC USA
Reply #8 - 02.03.2007 at 04:51:03

Perhaps when you get a big mansion with lots of traffic like MM&M, "hints" and "room questions" can be prefaced by the room number (or maze name?) before any discussion. Then if you're trying to sift through 4 or 5 or more pages, you can at least look for the room in question rather than having to read each discussion. It was very frustrating in MM&M in the early days to go through every post - although they were great to read - to try and find something about a particular room or maze.

"There are three kinds of people in the world - those who are good at math, and those who are not"

IP Logged

frost
Wanderer

Bremen
Reply #9 - 02.03.2007 at 08:54:40

I visit quite a lot formus every day and my experience is, that most of them are dealing with a lot of categories.
For me it makes it easier to navigate and find quick what I'm looking for.
Just take a look at the apple.com forum for example.

My humble suggestion would be:

Coustom Mansion Category:
# Download mansions
# Talk
# Art
# Designing
# Free Up and Downloading

# A seperate category for the mansions with many posts.

# A seperate category for mansions with custom graphics

And another suggestion and a request:
The Sub forum where you store the data for the downloads - please put that somewhere else if possible. It irritates me since this forum started and I still haven't gotten used to it  Sad
In many forums there is an administrator section where stuff like that is stored - at the bottom of the forum where it doesn't bother regular visitors.

Just my little input to that  Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print