Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
To be or not to be? (Read 30537 times)
Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Re: To be or not to be?
Reply #10 - 26.02.2007 at 06:45:00

So, everything under the sun is in tune and in Midnight Mansion the sun is eclipsed by the moon. Wink

Well. Administrators. That is like being the Pope. You don't WANT that. You are being asked for. And once you are, you try to make the best of it.

Although I have my personal favourites about mansions - I still don't like
Falcon Manor
btw - I will NEVER be NOT neutral about launching any mansions. Of any one. So there is certainly nothing to worry about.

Reminder!
We can not deny that there are mansions WITH and WITHOUT changed "stuff" and that we have customers that like both or only one kind of mansions. I respect all designers AND all players. And I respect them all for a very simple reason. I just like the Midnight Manion game. Including its temparary bugs, including its possibilities to change graphics etc. and including giving me (and Toybox among others) the chance to expose stunning novelties. Each has his/her own interests. MM-life is oh so simple.

So, everything under the sun is in tune and in Midnight Mansion the sun is eclipsed by the moon. Wink

IP Logged

brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Reply #11 - 26.02.2007 at 06:57:23

My two ikr (Icelandic kronas) on this:  We are all different people, that, while we all love MM, still have different aspect on the game (is that the right expression here?).  Being players or designers (or both), some of us only want the good old custom mansions while others would prefer experimenting and then there are those who like to do both.  (And btw, there is a lot of experimental stuff that can be done without changing graphics, music etc).  I'm sure all of us have some favourite mansions that they play more often than others.  No harm in that.  And there is no harm in experimenting either.  So my conclusion is:  It is the designer's right to do what they want in their mansions.  And it is the player's right to play them .... or not!

And one other point:  I appreciate any comments on my mansions that help me becoming a better mansion builder.  But I reserve the right of not taking any notice from critics that say something like "your mansion(s) suck(s) because there is too much/little of this or that".

A stuck Jack is better than no jack

IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #12 - 26.02.2007 at 07:02:32

Well put, brell.

IP Logged

Anthony
YaBB Administrator

Nova Scotia, Canada

Canada
Reply #13 - 26.02.2007 at 07:55:37

So tell me Freddy... whats to be or not to be?  Undecided

And you said that Young Wingy saw the point first... well about that... I'm not that young, I'm a teenager and I'm 5 ft. 4 and I can lift over 50 Kgs!  Roll Eyes Just wanted to let you know... I'm not that good at making long posts... my question is simple.

Anthony Duchesne ~ Original designer of Castle Basano, Leofani Manor and Jasperlone Mountains
Anthony AnthonyDuch http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=590111070  
IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #14 - 26.02.2007 at 15:59:04

Today I realized that there were only 13 minutes between my 2nd post and joeb's. Because of the length of joeb's story, I am pretty sure that he missed mine. And if he would have seen that extra report, I think he wouldn't have been bothering at all about the administrators. Since there is no link at all between this current issue and a probably changed qualification of the organisators of these boards.

When going back to my 1st post now, I think it was a very clear and correct report, in which I nowhere said or suggested that I am against the existence of "changed" mansions or prejudiced about them in a certain way. I play them all, btw.

The variety of the replies by forummembers proved that what I knew out of PMs and emails was right and so, the issue definitely deserved a place on the boards to talk about. Adding or replacing administrators to avoid issues like these? Sorry, sounds like censorship.

To answer teenager Wingy's question ... there is no answer yet about my "green" suggestion. As usual we will listen carefully to everybody and then decide what we best do. Or in this case: not do. And that decision will be like a mansion. It is possible that some people will not like it. In a matter of fact, even this topic is like a mansion. When you don't like it, stay away. There are enough other topics.

IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #15 - 26.02.2007 at 21:47:45

ryos wrote on 26.02.2007 at 01:19:29:
... In fact, I feel strongly enough about it that I wrote a utility to take care of the switching for me, every time I play. I've been waiting to share it until I can find the time to design an appropriate icon, but if people want it now ..., then I'll post it now. ...

Now that everybody knows that this thread is not a poll about pro or contra the use of custom art ... back to business.

I am certainly interested in your tool, but I am just wondering if it wouldn't be better to wait untill MM 1.0.8 is released, because I think that your utility will need some changes. Meanwhile, maybe you can explain a little bit more about how it works?

IP Logged

joeb
Adventurer

Reply #16 - 26.02.2007 at 22:23:20

I have an opinion. There are many others like it but this one is mine:

I feel that custom graphics are currently the black sheep of the administrators. You can post as many long flowery anecdotal responses as you wish but that is my and quite frankly other's opinions.

I am blessed with 2 children. My older is going to law school. Considering I never thought, based on her high school performance she would go anywhere. At her birthday party yesterday I apologized for being so wrong in front of the family and told her how proud I was. Her favorite pastime of late is debating politics with me. She plans on being a death penalty lawyer.
I spend so much time talking about Matt there is nothing else I can communicate about him other than being a brilliant little boy he has an ADHD dark side which often is difficult to deal with.
I work for a major US bank as a senior systems engineer and deal with anywhere from 50 to 200 emails a day designing, developing and supporting complex ETL operations. Occasionally I have to travel to Minneapolis for the job, or Atlanta, or Des Moines, or San Francisco, or.......
I have a Dodge SRT-4 which I race on weekends and I bowl in 2 leagues. I have a small consulting business which I use to pay for my racing habit. I'm also a 4th degree Black Belt and teach Iai, Issyn Rhyu karate and am in the World Karate Hall of Fame for Kendo. I volunteered over 400 hours last year for Habitat for Humanity, Battered Womens Shelters and for fun I'm the Asst. Chairman for Fiesta Bowl Parade Marshals.

In my spare time I play ONE GAME. Midnight Mansion, period. I also find time to put mansions together and like everything else I do I put my best efforts into it.

SO,

I will continue to build and play mansions. I will continue to answer questions when I can and ask them when I need an answer. When I'm done with a mansion I will send it to the board. If the mansion gets posted that's great. If it doesn't and anybody wants it they can request it directly from me at jbanko@cox.net. But I WILL NOT continue what I consider pointless conversations because I do have a life outside of Midnight Mansion and I am wasting time responding to this kind of silliness. It makes no sense to go back and pull items out of context just to prove some silly little point. The fact of the responses themselves is proof enough of the opinions.

Joe B

IP Logged

brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Reply #17 - 26.02.2007 at 23:07:23

I am sorry if you take it that we are against custom graphics, Joe.  This thread was created for discussion about pros and cons of normal vs. custom graphics and the opinion of the players and designers.  In my small post above I cannot find any evidence that I am against custom graphics in any way.  This thread is in no way intended as a debate against custom graphice designers, which have put much effort into their work, often with stunning results.

Now we all know that some players just love these custom graphic/music mansions, while others find it difficult to cope with (some of) the changes.  Like there was someone complaining about the mask of Jack in Wingy's Star Craft episodes, because his or her old eyes had troubles following the new Jack around the screen.  It is also, for some of the older people, a question of enough contrast between different tiles and sprites vs. tiles.

So as I said before:  Designers, design at your free will but don't expect everyone to like all your mansions.  Players, play at your free will but don't expect every mansion to fit your MM needs.

A stuck Jack is better than no jack

IP Logged

ryos
Explorer

Colorado, USA

Utah, USA
Reply #18 - 26.02.2007 at 23:22:53

Freddy wrote on 26.02.2007 at 21:47:45:
ryos wrote on 26.02.2007 at 01:19:29:
... In fact, I feel strongly enough about it that I wrote a utility to take care of the switching for me, every time I play. I've been waiting to share it until I can find the time to design an appropriate icon, but if people want it now ..., then I'll post it now. ...

Now that everybody knows that this thread is not a poll about pro or contra the use of custom art ... back to business.

I am certainly interested in your tool, but I am just wondering if it wouldn't be better to wait untill MM 1.0.8 is released, because I think that your utility will need some changes. Meanwhile, maybe you can explain a little bit more about how it works?

I doubt I'll need to change a thing, unless Vern decides to rename the Custom Mansions and Game Data folders. The tool (let's call it by its name, that will be easier: Decorum) just looks in Game Data and all of its subfolders for files whose names match those of the customized versions, kept in a folder inside the program's bundle. It then moves those MM default files into a holding directory, also inside the bundle, and puts the customized variants in their place.

It also installs the mansion file, and launches Midnight Mansion. This all happens when you press a button. Push a different button, and the whole process is reversed.

It basically just takes the "manual" out of "manual file swapping."

"Fun game: try to post a YouTube comment so stupid that people realize you must be joking.  (Hint: this is impossible)" -Randall Munroe

IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #19 - 26.02.2007 at 23:25:27

Under extremely difficult circumstances I did release
Dominator
asap. You know me long enough to be sure that I really couldn't do a final walkthrough at that time, although I wanted to.

And I am beta-testing aquaMat's
Discotheque of Doom
that has custom graphics as well!

Black sheep? Where is your point, Joe?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print