Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
The Bat House (Read 26868 times)
Psychotronic
Explorer

Alaska
Re: The Bat House
Reply #10 - 09.03.2007 at 03:43:06

To be fair, most of the square mansions have been Mikee's. Unless I missed something, there's only one other recent mansion that had a similar layout, and I don't think Mikee is imitating it. Almost everything in Bat House is a direct evolution of one of Mikee's previous mansions. Each new mansion in the Mikee series adds a thing or two.

Right now, though, I agree there's a lot of frustrating backtracking. There's an area in the first section that you have to walk through at least six times in a row. And the rooms are very similar to each other. But I have to confess, I kind of like Mikee's mansions. I'm excited to see each new section, and I like the simple challenges. I think he's gradually evolving to the point where he'll make a really good mansion, and we get to see each step of the way. A bit of honest feedback will probably help.

IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #11 - 09.03.2007 at 03:49:45

Well. I needed 3 attempts to make a perfect (?) walkthrough through
The Bat House
. It felt like a nice, relaxing mansion and finally needed about 30 minutes with one life lost to get both 100 % secrets and all (?) money: $ 24.375. For a mansion made by a teenager, I think it did fit very well together.

When I make a mansion I always try to make it in a way that the player must be able to solve all problems without restarting. But of course I can respect that other designers produce mansions where you "learn" on your way to the exit, so you know how to play better in your next attempt. In that way I saw two items in this mansion: a floorbutton that closed a gray door that could NOT be opened again and Wingy's missing blue key.

I could appreciate the 2 not-so-easy secrets although they were hinted!

aquaMat wrote on 08.03.2007 at 23:45:05:
In the last weeks we saw a whole string of these "rectangular mansions" which have basically all rooms looking alike, with 3 floors in each room, and the whole point (I don't even dare calling it a puzzle) is running back and forth from one corner to the opposite corner in every room, pulling levers and opening doors. Usually the lever for the door in - say - the lower right corner, is in the upper left corner etc. ...so you have to keep walking and walking back and forth....and that's basically all that is happening in those mansions.
It's just my (very) personal view....and it's probably "web-political uncorrect" to say so, but: I  don't like that.
I think it's rather boring....sometimes even to a point where one of those mansions ... looks strikingly similar to a previous one in the same vein.

I understand what you are saying. Perfect example with that 3-floor style is
A Deserted Holiday Village
. When talking about the designing-style I must confess that it is pretty boring. But In this particularly mansion I am going to stick to it, because it is indeed supposed for starting players. In the last months I had the luck to see several persons playing MM for the first time. Jumping over an isolated sitting snake or a normal walking skullspider is NOT easy for them. I still remember my very first steps in Falcon Manor easy where each creature was a REAL ENEMY. So In ADHV and also in
The Bat House
starting players are able to learn what a pole is, how to jump at a gap, what happens when pulling a lever etc.

And I know those mansions are probably meant for beginners..... but in the BAT HOUSE I was so much running on auto-pilot that when I came to the only spot that was a bit more challenging -  the zapper beams in rooms 17103 / 17104 (which are much harder than the rest of the House) - I lost about 10 of my amassed lives .....!!   Huh

Having a good balance in a mansion is probably the most difficult thing. The difficulty-degree, the prizes, the saving points etc. But from what I have seen in the past, ALL designers reach a better balance after some experience. Btw, losing 10 lives ... Roll Eyes Wink

So I just throw that on the table..... open for discussion:
While one mansion in that style every now and then is great.....  I could imagine even beginners getting bored by a whole series of those !! As I said..... just my personal view.

Right and wrong together. The more mansions we have, the better. And like with books or music, not all mansions are for all players. The mansions that Mikee made so far are perhaps nice evening strolls for experienced players, but at the same time other people are struggling to reach the first saving point.

(BTW: I experienced a strange bug while playing Bat House: every time I opened the map, all rooms in the map appeared twice (next to each other), and sometimes whole floors appeared twice (on top of each other). Now what is that ???)

Did NOT experience that. But ... euh ... do you use two monitors?? Grin

IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #12 - 09.03.2007 at 04:00:07

Psychotronic wrote on 09.03.2007 at 03:43:06:
To be fair, most of the square mansions have been Mikee's. Unless I missed something, there's only one other recent mansion that had a similar layout, and I don't think Mikee is imitating it. Almost everything in Bat House is a direct evolution of one of Mikee's previous mansions. Each new mansion in the Mikee series adds a thing or two.

Right now, though, I agree there's a lot of frustrating backtracking. There's an area in the first section that you have to walk through at least six times in a row. And the rooms are very similar to each other. But I have to confess, I kind of like Mikee's mansions. I'm excited to see each new section, and I like the simple challenges. I think he's gradually evolving to the point where he'll make a really good mansion, and we get to see each step of the way. A bit of honest feedback will probably help.

I don't know if you were referring to my ADHV. If so, I don't have the feeling at all that he is imitating it. In a matter of fact, I think that HE was first with this style. So maybe, I am to blame. Huh

And about the honest feedback, the major problem for the time being is a matter of language. aquaMat was already so kind to translate a few stickies into German, so that Mikee knew better what to do with the new mansions he made.

IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #13 - 09.03.2007 at 17:42:02

Freddy wrote on 09.03.2007 at 03:49:45:
Right and wrong together. The more mansions we have, the better. And like with books or music, not all mansions are for all players. The mansions that Mikee made so far are perhaps nice evening strolls for experienced players, but at the same time other people are struggling to reach the first saving point.

I guess you're right, with your comparison to books and music.......  in German we have a saying that goes "You can't argue about taste" (even though I tend to belive: Yes you can.... and you have to  (taking into consideration the terribly frustrating modern pop charts music for example.....    bad taste is and remains bad taste (and I'm of course not saying this in reference to Mikee's mansions, but to the current state of pop music) !!)

Freddy wrote on 09.03.2007 at 03:49:45:
(BTW: I experienced a strange bug while playing Bat House: every time I opened the map, all rooms in the map appeared twice (next to each other), and sometimes whole floors appeared twice (on top of each other). Now what is that ???)

Did NOT experience that. But ... euh ... do you use two monitors?? Grin

Yeah I guess that was the reason.... I had my 2nd monitor connected...and even if he went black, that probably produced that strange phenomenon !!

Why is a carrot more orange than an orange ?
IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #14 - 09.03.2007 at 17:45:11

Aaah, and BTW:  I found that foot-switch that closed a grey door (without a possibility to re-open it) quite irritable, too !

(Even if I understood what was behind it was only a pile of special bonus cash..... probably meant to reward the player who did not stumble upon the foot-switch....  BUT WHO IS TO KNOW THAT during his first play-through ??)

Why is a carrot more orange than an orange ?
IP Logged

Chippy
Treasure Hunter

Switzerland
Reply #15 - 10.03.2007 at 01:24:16

I saw your video to Wingy. Haste well easily however naturally does not play with the same way.  Wink

And have you the trick found out with blue doors at the start? hehe.. Wink Cheesy

As I it built had I at the start still no notion for which I a blue door make again. But then I had a good idea... More betrayal I you however not, If I see so my built Mansion, I am surprised, because sometimes I have genuinly no more overview  Huh Then I mistake one Mansion very gladly, But otherwise everything is in the green area  Wink Grin

crisscross24  
IP Logged

Chippy
Treasure Hunter

Switzerland
Reply #16 - 10.03.2007 at 05:30:16

Here is a Video... I created it in
minutes and achieved a Score of
with 26 lives and
100 %
Cheesy

I am as I the lives saw somewhat frightened  Wink

See the video and you know then like one it correctly play to the end  Wink Cheesy Cheesy

crisscross24  
IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #17 - 10.03.2007 at 06:09:11

You lost 4 lives in your own mansion? I only lost one! Tongue

IP Logged

Chippy
Treasure Hunter

Switzerland
Reply #18 - 10.03.2007 at 23:42:15

Grrr...  I become you already still wars!  Wink

I tried evenly again new functions in the Mansion, because I did not know no more the whole Mansion by heart  Smiley Cheesy

crisscross24  
IP Logged

sherryl199
Explorer

Wilmington, NC USA
Reply #19 - 11.03.2007 at 02:50:47

Very good mansion, Mikee. It should be the 'advanced' tutorial for MM - lots of timing/ jumping practice. I think it's a terrific beginner++ mansion. Sometimes it is just fun to play this game without dying, restarting, dying, restarting and panicing to get to a save point!

"There are three kinds of people in the world - those who are good at math, and those who are not"

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print