Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Discotheque Of Doom (Read 14470 times)
aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Discotheque Of Doom
20.03.2007 at 19:44:29

I know, I've been talking about it for quite some time now, but....

Discotheque Of Doom
is close to release now !!

(Oomph...(sigh of relief)  Wink Cool).

The beta-testing is finished, thanks to brell (and Freddy) who did a wonderful job, and to JoeB. who gave me several valuable tips on how to perfect some custom characters. Thanks a lot to you all !

I only have to set the music IDs, make a package containing all the necessary files, send it to the admins....and we're up and running!

For those who don't like custom graphics (or the file swopping that comes attached to it):
even though custom graphics are used in DoD only sparingly, and the mansion is playable with the standard file set (but looks rather strange at certain places), I'll really recommend you make those few steps needed to use the custom file set.... as it really is part of the gameplay:
- the music is important for the dancefloors, for the rhythm of your moves
- the decoration, like paintings and statues are important for the look and feel of the discotheque, and sometimes important for the gameplay
-  last but not least: it's simply more fun (and looks much better, too).

Rest assured though, it's not 20 files that need to be changed.... just 3 folders.  I will supply an easy, straightforward explanation.

Thanks for your patience.... I know I wanted to have that ready at least several weeks earlier.
Now it's only a matter of 2 more days or so.

As a last appetizer, below you'll get a glimpse into one of the inner rooms.....near the central dancefloor.
« Last Edit: 31.08.2008 at 00:47:46 by brell »  

Why is a carrot more orange than an orange ?
IP Logged

Anthony
YaBB Administrator

Nova Scotia, Canada

Canada
Re: Discotheque Of Doom
Reply #1 - 20.03.2007 at 20:19:12

Looks facinating, AquaMat! But when you said Jack would have a party suit on, I thought you meant something along the lines of a tux... Tongue Look at the graphics! What Apps. did you use? Lemme guess... PhotoShop?  Tongue

More screenshots! 20 files? Wow... Ted is... lemme count... 19, and climbing. I'm going to chance some other screens, like the buttons, and make more music... already made a chatchy jungle drum theme for when Ted arrives at the mainland! It will even make Freddy have even more a "robinsin cruisoe" feeling!  Tongue Also got a Opening theme, which I hope you'll have, too!

My little secret with the opening screen: Make a little bass go for 6 seconds, then give it everything you got! At 6 seconds of the song you're at the main menu!  Roll Eyes

Hope I'll enjoy this as much as you'll enjoy Ted!  Roll Eyes But you said this mansion was for fun, not to be frusterated... that's what the point of games are, fun!  Cheesy

Anthony Duchesne ~ Original designer of Castle Basano, Leofani Manor and Jasperlone Mountains
Anthony AnthonyDuch http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=590111070  
IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #2 - 20.03.2007 at 21:24:26

Wingy, I said it's NOT 20 files, that need to be changed...more like 3 !!

And PhotoShop was only one of the tools I used..... and I said before, the graphics are nothing too special. And you got to remember, that when I finished the beta-version of DoD in early January, there was no Dominator yet....nobody had changed Jack's appearance at all (at this point in time).

So when Dominator appeared, of course I was set back a bit.... as it was so beautifully done, as far as graphics are concerned...and especially the JAC character was soo impressive, that all my changes seemed to dwarf in comparison.

Took me a while to get over that.....  but as IMHO the main point of interest in DoD is not the custom graphics per se (they're just the icing on the cake), but the gameplay and my attempts to get the most oiut of the standard tools we have (which don't lean very much towards designing anything that is not castle- and/or spook-related etc.)...and tweak that into a bit of Pop Art, with the added help of some custom graphics...(which are nowhere as "complete" (= a complete new world) as in Dominator for example).

To your other questions: no, I didn't go as far as changing the opening theme, not even the opening screen BTW.
While my original plan was to write & produce completely new music for DoD, I couldn't manage that (as I had to score several films in the meantime and simply didn't have enough time left)....so I decided to include several music tracks I had written some time ago (for other projects), which fit just as well.

IP Logged

joeb
Adventurer

Reply #3 - 20.03.2007 at 23:52:13

Quote:
as I had to score several films in the meantime and simply didn't have enough time left

WHOA DUDE!!!!!

You score for a living??????

I think we could get some kind of reciprocal assistance going here. Although I play several different instruments (most brass, flute, upright bass and bass guitar, harmonica, and a very nasty right hand on keyboards) I am still musically challenged.
We need to talk, I'll email you later today. If your DoD (Wow hard to type that without thinking Department of Defense) doesn't have a mirror ball I might be able to show you how to do a pseudo animated simple one.

BTW, I didn't mean to set you back any with Dominator. As a matter of fact I think my timing was bad there. There seemed to be a LOT of commentary surrounding it and all I wanted to do was see whether something so different would be playable and how much new diversity it would spawn. Wasn't meant to stir up a hornet's nest. I actually have a much more advanced version of Dominator waiting in the wings. Two of the things that bothered me most were the lack of consistency in look of the objects and the music. I've addressed the graphics but not the music.

Whoops, didn't mean to hijack the thread. Sorry....

Joe B

IP Logged

Anthony
YaBB Administrator

Nova Scotia, Canada

Canada
Reply #4 - 20.03.2007 at 23:54:05

Can you... put DoD up sooner? Becaues in two days I'm going away incase you haven't read my Wingy's going away topic. If this isn't possible, I'd have to go away thinking that I wouldn't be able to play your mansion! (With the pro music!) I thought you said it was 20 files in three folders, (screens, data and music) but its better with only afew. Actully, now that I think about it, its better with more files!!  Wink

BTW: Is there speech in the music?  Roll Eyes You said you wrote some. I can think that means writing the notes, but it could mean speech... did you?  Huh

According to my calculations, you made Jack just like I did in StarCraft exept a bit differently. (Well I could, don't know if you could) But what I'm saying is that I could detect all the blue on Jack, and chance the color level to red, and bam, I got a red-jack. Hey, that's the way you could color jack if Mikee's MM - online came out! :p

EDIT:
@Joeb:
You should wait till the expansion comes out until you make Dominator II. Then  it'll REALLY be a II with new bad guys, music and yeah!

Anthony Duchesne ~ Original designer of Castle Basano, Leofani Manor and Jasperlone Mountains
IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #5 - 21.03.2007 at 03:02:33

joeb wrote on 20.03.2007 at 23:52:13:
BTW, I didn't mean to set you back any with Dominator. As a matter of fact I think my timing was bad there. There seemed to be a LOT of commentary surrounding it and all I wanted to do was see whether something so different would be playable and how much new diversity it would spawn. Wasn't meant to stir up a hornet's nest. I actually have a much more advanced version of Dominator waiting in the wings. Two of the things that bothered me most were the lack of consistency in look of the objects and the music. I've addressed the graphics but not the music.

@ Joe
hope you didn't get me wrong there..... my words about Dominator above were absolutely NOT meant as any kind of criticism about the release date or anything else of Dominator.  It was just a coincidence that you happened to release Dominator at this point in time when I was finishing the Discotheque..... !  No reason to worry or apologise AT ALL....  everybody has the right to release his mansion when he is ready.... and I simply wasn't ready before Dominator.

And as I siad... the custom graphics in DoD are only a small part (of it) anyway.... !

Mirror Ball.....  I remember having downloaded a DAZ model for a ball (and a microphone and a whole lot of other things I never got around doing) !!  I never completed the DJ (and DJ booth) for example ...as it simply got too complicated.
So mitrror ball sounds great....if you happen to have it lying around somewhere....

(I have to admit.... I never got far in my attempts to master DAT Studio   Embarrassed Roll Eyes)
@Wingy:

When I say "written" that doesn't necessarily have to imply lyrics.... the music is written as well....   Smiley
About the release date: I try to be as fast as possible....but it also depends on the admins....so I can't promise anything.
« Last Edit: 22.03.2007 at 19:26:37 by aquaMat »  

IP Logged

Anthony
YaBB Administrator

Nova Scotia, Canada

Canada
Reply #6 - 21.03.2007 at 03:26:30

@Admins:
As soon as you get it this final version of this mansion, put it on the list!!  Tongue Just make sure you get it out by tomarrow night, at the very least. I have to leave at 8:00 A.M. the next morning and drive to the bus!  Undecided

@AquaMat:
Pretend you are a jedi and you have force-speed on.  Tongue

But this is the real question: What happened to the guests of the dance?  Shocked

IP Logged

joeb
Adventurer

Reply #7 - 21.03.2007 at 03:29:08

@aquaMat:
Not taken as criticism! But the bad timing issue still stands. I should have done a couple of plain mansions and then a minor custom mansion, maybe two.

Yeah, I'll see what I can do about a mirror ball and I do think I have one around. The mike stand is no biggie.

@Wingy:
There's about half a dozen programs out there that'll do text to speech and it is possible to use a virtual voice in a song. The issue is getting the vocal inflections to sound natural and of course you need a GOOD VVoice to start with. Personally I like the AT&T Natural Speech (or is it Voice) voices. I have a couple of them but they're PRICEY! $200 for 2 voices and simple text to speech software. I'm a sucker for Australian accents and one of AT&T voices, Samantha I think, is VERY cool sounding. But again I'm off thread here.......
Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed

Joe B

Joe B

IP Logged

Anthony
YaBB Administrator

Nova Scotia, Canada

Canada
Reply #8 - 21.03.2007 at 03:36:00

@Joe:
Er... I didn't want voice for my music and I never will!  Tongue But thanks anyways. ($200?? I only earn $25-$30 a week!!) Biggest thing I ever bought was... this computer. $850!  Tongue Anyways... back to subject...

@AquaMat:
Is force speed working?

BTW: Why can't I post on that Alternate of Death topic?? There's no reply button!  Shocked

IP Logged

joeb
Adventurer

Reply #9 - 21.03.2007 at 04:04:40

Quote:
BTW: Why can't I post on that Alternate of Death topic?? There's no reply button!

Is my name in red?

Ask an admin, I ain't got nuttin to due wit it....

jb

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print