Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Editor Navigation Buttons/Keyboard Shortcuts (Read 7974 times)
ryos
Explorer

Colorado, USA

Utah, USA
Editor Navigation Buttons/Keyboard Shortcuts
21.03.2007 at 13:05:02

Hey,

I know that Vern always says that the feature list of MM is more or less closed...and then he goes ahead and adds features anyway. Smiley I figure that as long as this forum is here, I may as well use it and hope for the best, right?

So, I'm tentatively dipping my toes in the waters of the editor, and I immediately noticed something that I want very badly: navigation buttons! It seems there is a lot of back and forth involved when tweaking the boundaries between rooms, and the "open room" dialog can get a bit cumbersome for this purpose. A "compass rose" of buttons that move to any of the eight adjacent rooms when clicked would be great for this.

Actually, the buttons themselves become superfluous if keyboard shortcuts are employed. I know GUI programming is usually the hardest part, so I would be quite happy if all that gets added are keyboard shortcuts. I'm thinking command-arrow keys here. You could also use the numpad for the diagonals, but it's harder to reach for and I'm betting that diagonal motion would be infrequently used anyway.

So, after a long and winding post, I come down to just requesting that command-arrow keys be made to move between adjacent rooms.

Thanks for noticing me. [/eyore]

"Fun game: try to post a YouTube comment so stupid that people realize you must be joking.  (Hint: this is impossible)" -Randall Munroe

IP Logged

joeb
Adventurer

Re: Editor Navigation Buttons/Keyboard Shortcuts
Reply #1 - 21.03.2007 at 13:24:22

Agree!

Joe B

IP Logged

Semi-Native
YaBB Administrator

Orlando, FL  USA
Reply #2 - 21.03.2007 at 19:05:40

Maybe this is saying the same thing, I'm not sure, but if it was possible to have 2 rooms open at the same time, that would be great for copying and pasting.

Smiley

IP Logged

VernJensen
YaBB Administrator

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #3 - 17.05.2008 at 01:42:19

That's a great suggestion. The thing is, you'd have to learn to his Command-S before hitting the navigation buttons/shortcuts, otherwise you'd be getting a "Save before closing?" message when you hit the shortcuts. But I think this should be very doable... at least the Command-arrow keyboard shortcuts. I'll consider it!

As for adding features... I've learned that releasing updates to the game is the best form of advertising... sales always increase after I do so! And sales have really dropped off to almost nothing lately, so I need to get another update out... So in a way, it actually pays to add a feature to the game, or fix a few bugs, every now and then. So while I want to spend most of my time on Insectoid work, I will occasionally take a day off and add a feature or fix a few bugs, so minor features (i.e. NOT anything new to the actual gameplay) actually have a small chance of being added.

IP Logged

VernJensen
YaBB Administrator

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #4 - 17.05.2008 at 03:08:04

Done! The feature is there now, so next update you'll have Command-arrow navigation of levels. It's really fun, and really makes it far quicker to move between rooms -- excellent suggestion!

IP Logged

Anthony
YaBB Administrator

Nova Scotia, Canada

Canada
Reply #5 - 04.06.2008 at 04:06:11

Hey, wouldn't this new feature conflict with the new app Spaces in Mac OS 10.5 Leopard with some people? Huh I use the Command+Arrow keys to move from my desktops. Shocked

I suppose you could just change this in the System Prefs for spaces to like Option+Arrows, so yeah. Oh well. Would be nice that you could change that in the Editor to Option+arrows or Ctrl+arrows, instead of just Command+Arrows...

^^ Just another suggestion Tongue lol

Anthony Duchesne ~ Original designer of Castle Basano, Leofani Manor and Jasperlone Mountains
Anthony AnthonyDuch http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=590111070  
IP Logged

VernJensen
YaBB Administrator

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #6 - 04.06.2008 at 04:19:44

I don't have OS 10.5 (haven't bothered upgrading yet) so I was unaware there was a possible conflict.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print