Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Discotheque of Doom  -Release Notes- (Read 36228 times)
aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Discotheque of Doom  -Release Notes-
22.03.2007 at 18:54:59

DISCOTHEQUE OF DOOM
 Release Statement:

Later today DoD will be released.... but before I'd like to give you the story, a few tips and other remarks.
Even if I didn't find the time to design all of the custom graphics I had originally planned (it got far more work than I could handle....and I didn't want to delay the release any further), there are enough custom graphics in the game to create the effect I was after. And although it is possible to play DoD with the standard sprites set, please don't. It just doesn't look good. Please take the exra second to replace/add the graphics, sprites and music files. It's well worth it.....

The Story:

On his way through the teenage wasteland, Jack has met some creatures of the night  who told him about a mysterious place:

Into the caves of a hill, a rich lunatic has built a discotheque.

Only few wanderers have ever reached it, the path is long and full of dangers.

It's the Discotheque Of Doom, and Jack will try to find it...

Jack doesn't fear the dangers that await him, so he put on his fancy nightlife outfit -
for he is sure that one day he, too, will be one of the chosen few
who ever danced at the Discotheque Of Doom.

Tips & Advices:

DoD is not an easy mansion. Its difficulty ranges from normal to (occasionally) very hard.

You should especially keep in mind:

Be alert at all times.  There might be secrets hidden where you're not expecting them...and occasionally there might be dangers where you're not expecting them.

DoD contains quite a number of secret rooms or areas.
You got to know that some secrets are hidden more than others, so you might only find them during later, repeated plays. This is done purposely to keep the replay value high. So PLAY AGAIN !

Take care  at the edges of the rooms: Is the floor really going all the way through?  
Sometimes it is required to JUMP from room to room.

Some zappers are quite hard, but only if you head straight into them. It's always advisable to first wait and watch.... soon you'll see the pattern and it will be quite manageable.

One thing is unique to DoD: at several points on your route, you can suddenly be "propelled back" to a spot much earlier on your way !!
This can be good or bad, depending on the situation:
Good:  sometimes the "exit" out of a certain area is via such a "shortcut" to an earlier part and sometimes it is a means to get out of a hairy situation alive. It might be unnerving to have to do mileage again you thought you had already mastered, but at least you are alive...so it's good !
Bad:  there are other occasions where you simply make a wrong step (say instad of jumping, you're walking into a gap in the floor) and instead of dying you are landing in an earlier room. Again: you didn't lose a life.....  but you have to walk....and walk...

But don't panic: if you take care and watch your steps this shouldn't happen....

Always remember: the goal for Jack is to find the central  big dancefloor.

About the music:
In a discotheque the music is always important, and even more so in the Discotheque Of Doom. So please play with music ON.

The mansion starts out silent, though..... and more often than not you'll come through silent areas.
That could mean several things:
- Suspense level is rising
- Keep your ears open..... the sound of critters, footsteps or other things might help you
- you're obviously not close to a dancefloor if you do not hear any music.
- you're in a secret area. (In most secret areas of DoD the music is off)

All tracks have been written, played and produced by me... some specificially for DoD, but the majority for other projects (but even those have been re-edited for DoD). Please DO NOT distribute or share the music tracks on their own.  Respect the copyright. Thx.

Have Fun !

(And don't hesitate to post any questions you might have).

aquaMat

« Last Edit: 31.08.2008 at 00:46:51 by brell »  

Why is a carrot more orange than an orange ?
IP Logged

Amplifyed
Adventurer

Formally known as "Sam
S."

Down the hall on the 3rd right
Re: Discotheque of Doom  -Release Notes-
Reply #1 - 23.03.2007 at 05:53:18

I can't wait! Grin Grin Grin

-Vintage Octopus-

IP Logged

joeb
Adventurer

Reply #2 - 23.03.2007 at 05:57:38

Quote:
And don't hesitate to post any questions you might have

So how much disco floor time did you actually have in your life?

Cheesy Cool Cool Cool Cheesy

Congratulations on your release and Matt and I look forward to playing it!!!!

Matt & Joe B

IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #3 - 23.03.2007 at 07:02:41

Smiley It is on!!

Go to the Lists for downloading and ... be patient. The zip-file has a size of 18,6 MB. So that may take a few minutes.
Push back the furniture, roll up the carpets and ... start to dance! Smiley

IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #4 - 23.03.2007 at 07:09:33

Thanks everybody.....!!

And now..... the music is on !!  Smiley

IP Logged

ryos
Explorer

Colorado, USA

Utah, USA
Reply #5 - 23.03.2007 at 10:01:45

Wow. Leave it to aquaMat to out-aquaMat aquaMat! This mansion is so...weird. I don't know what to say, I've only made it a few rooms in.

Momma always said that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all, so... Lips Sealed

...OK, that was probably meaner than what I was going to say. Wink From the few (~10) rooms I've seen, this mansion is the epitome of the aquaMat style--it's unlike anything else out there (in a bizarre way). It's full of devious (and sometimes unfair) traps for the unwary. It frequently forces you to search for hidden clues just in order to continue. It often penalizes you for leaving a room without making clear it was going to do so.

I'm showing a pretty strong negative slant here, so let me be absolutely clear: aquaMat's mansions seem technically excellent on almost every level. I just don't enjoy his style, and given the punishing difficulty of all of his mansions, I haven't been able to force myself to complete any of them except SPoG.

I'm willing to put in the effort to try and like it on the hopes that it will reward the investment with a sense of achievement or something, because fun it is not. Still, a musical analogy is apt for this mansion. Some albums (and bands) take a while to grow on you. The first few times played a CD of one of my now-favorite bands (the Squirrel Nut Zippers), I was thinking the whole time, "What on earth did I just buy?" But since I had spent the money and couldn't get it back, I tried to like it. And, with time, began to recognize how truly wonderful their music is.

Or will it be like Pearl Jam, who, having released two stellar (and one pretty good) albums at the beginning of their career, have been cranking out mostly-unlistenable dreck ever since? I tried really hard to like post-Vitalogy Pearl Jam, but I just couldn't. I'm still saddened by this...

Ahem. Sorry to get off track. Anyway, aquaMat, I'll try to keep my opinions to myself in the future as I have in the past, but, having a rather loud mouth, was unable to silence it on this one. And, after all, I've only played ten rooms (and died...twice...); maybe I'll get into it eventually.

"Fun game: try to post a YouTube comment so stupid that people realize you must be joking.  (Hint: this is impossible)" -Randall Munroe

IP Logged

Psychotronic
Explorer

Alaska
Reply #6 - 23.03.2007 at 10:15:28

I wouldn't worry about keeping your opinions to yourself. It does say "Talk" at the top of the screen, and not "Praise". I don't think anybody minds the occasional opinion essay, as long as it's not aggressive or insulting. When I get a chance to play this one, I'll chime in. Maybe we can even get a discussion going.  Cool

IP Logged

ryos
Explorer

Colorado, USA

Utah, USA
Reply #7 - 23.03.2007 at 12:30:30

Played a bit more. The jury is still out, but I thought I'd report that the game crashed on me. I don't have a room number (unless I open in the editor...Tongue), and unfortunately the room in question is rather nondescript. I think it may have had a green door in it, and it definitely had around four eyeballs. The room before it had a bunch of platforms oscillating up and down before the entrance. The game actually crashed with jack in midair (I jumped through the boundary).

Console just reports the crash, and that a crashlog was written. I got no error message.

"Fun game: try to post a YouTube comment so stupid that people realize you must be joking.  (Hint: this is impossible)" -Randall Munroe

IP Logged

joeb
Adventurer

Reply #8 - 23.03.2007 at 13:52:56

aquaMat,

I'm about 20 rooms in and just died. Very cool and devious so far. I like the look and layout so far but I want to see more.
Haven't seen any JS or what I would call cheap deaths although others might because you have to look before you leap. I'll see if I can get some more play in over the weekend but I'm looking at Church as well.

Talk to you later,

Joe B

IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #9 - 23.03.2007 at 19:54:06

Ryos

even back when you wrote your arguable "Sins Of The Mansion Builders" I felt you had a special disliking of my mansions......
of course I have no problem of your saying so...as long as it is on reasonable grounds and within certain confines of politeness.
To be honest... I really like a good discussion. But I'm not sure if this is one, but it might become one....

In this case I have the feeling you already disliked the mansion after the first couple of rooms, judged by the speed of your post....
I'm not sure why, though.

Why don't you see it  (what you call "devious and unfair traps") as a challenge.... as I do.

'Cause unfair is something that is "not right" or "unjust".... which is definitely neither what I had in mind, not what I have actiually done.

Just because I have the principle of hiding (some) secrets more than others, doesn't make me u nfair..... there is still almost always a hint somewhere...even if it's not the "usual" hint (of using crooked bricks, for example). We've discussed that one before.

I have tried to avoid really cheap deaths and I think I managed to do so.
And just because a mansion is HARD doesn't make it UNFAIR. I can't begin to tell you how many times I had to replay the same sections of ACO time and again, 'cause they were so unbelievingly hard...to a point where I felt it was....well... a bit unfair that it's so hard. Yet I realise it's just very hard...and I never would accuse Psychotronic of unfairness....and haven't heard anybody else do so either.

So tell me..... where do I penalize you for leaving a room....?
Why do you feel I "force you to search for hidden cclues in order to continue"...when this is simply part of the game, a challenge..... just a means to make it more interesting (even in repeated plays).

As I said before: DoD is designed in a way so you cannot find all secrets during your first game.....  why don't you see it like I do, as a positive thing, that you can actually play it more than once and still find new things.

If you don't like that style....why don't you play  -say- The Swiss Mansion Easy, where you get a basic, simple, straightforward gameplay that you can finish in 10 minutes.

And rest assured:  you are rewarded for your efforts to play through DoD. You are rewarded by:
- finding secret areas and getting a triumphant feeling from it   Wink
- finding the central dancefloor at last, and many new rooms along the way
- at the end you'll find -as usual- a gold chamber

Because that is how this game works.

If you do not consider this fun...well.... then maybe you simply have a different taste...... I can't please everyone...and I never set out to try.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print