Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Cave Days (Read 7255 times)
aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Cave Days
26.03.2007 at 20:18:43

A couple of days ago I found a new 2D platformer game that is quite charming (even though, of course, nowhere as good as MM).
It's called  CAVE DAYS  and features several cavemen that are hunting dinosaurs and many other things..... and even if its graphics aren't as detailed as MM's it has quite a number of cute bits....and also involves stuff like moving platforms, ropes/vines, water-diving & swimming....... and other nice features.

I liked it....(and until now it hasn't become boring).

So much so, in fact, I even bought it when the 60 demo minutes were over.... something I can't say about many games.

Anyone ever tried it ?

Why is a carrot more orange than an orange ?
IP Logged

rose
Treasure Hunter

Sweden
Re: Cave Days
Reply #1 - 27.03.2007 at 01:29:02

Never heard off! I'll go "hunting" for it!

IP Logged

Anthony
YaBB Administrator

Nova Scotia, Canada

Canada
Reply #2 - 28.03.2007 at 03:04:40

It was at apple.com/games/demos/... I played it and didn't like it. You've seen my games folder, right? Any game not there I don't like!  Tongue

Anthony Duchesne ~ Original designer of Castle Basano, Leofani Manor and Jasperlone Mountains
Anthony AnthonyDuch http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=590111070  
IP Logged

Psychotronic
Explorer

Alaska
Reply #3 - 28.03.2007 at 05:29:16

Can't play it on my G3. Sad but true.

IP Logged

brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Reply #4 - 28.03.2007 at 05:35:17

I hate time limited demos.

A stuck Jack is better than no jack

IP Logged

Psychotronic
Explorer

Alaska
Reply #5 - 28.03.2007 at 05:48:46

No kidding, right? The game is all, "You can't play any more, ever. You gotta pay up." And I'm all, "I'm just gonna play something else. You don't own me." And then I move my head back and forth in a sassy manner and wag my finger aggressively.

The way to do a demo is the way they did the one for God of War II. You spend fifteen minutes fighting this one gigantic boss all over the rooftops of Rhodes. Then about the third time he knocks you halfway across the city, you find yourself on the top floors of a building, looking out a window onto the war-torn landscape. Then the boss sticks his head in front of the window and glares in at you with his giant eye. You stab him in the eye, he reels back in pain and slams his fist into the building, KNOCKING IT DOWN WITH YOU INSIDE IT, and the demo ENDS RIGHT THERE as the entire building topples toward the ground. "God of War II. The End Begins in March."

I physically had to buy the game when it finally came out. It was like an addictive substance in my body until then.

IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #6 - 29.03.2007 at 17:58:58

That sounds almost like "subconscious marketing" or something..... Mmmh ?!  (Although it sound like the type of game I wouldn't enjoy...see below)

I usually don't like timed demos either - most of them are just timed TOO short, and I usually react by NOT buying them either.... but in this case I made an exception, and I have not regretted it....!!

Every level offers something new.... I just came across lava, BTW.

What I really don't like, is anything associated with "Warcraft", shooting, science fiction....all that aggressive stuff...I couldn't care less. (Although they are often visually stunning).
Even less I care for role-playing esoteric fantasy games..... with ridiculously epic stories about wizards or nordic elfs....all that s**t.

But MM, Bud RedHead and to a lesser extent Cave Days....or stuff like GooBall or the old Oxyd... that's fun.

Why is a carrot more orange than an orange ?
IP Logged

Psychotronic
Explorer

Alaska
Reply #7 - 30.03.2007 at 05:45:53

It's hardly subconscious advertising. The point is that the demo ends on a high note, and I wanted to see what happened next. Timed demos usually end on a sort of "aaw" note, and that's not the final impression you want to leave a player with.

Part of the reason I like God of War so much (it's one of the most satisfying game purchases I've ever made) is that it doesn't draw on the same Tolkien-inspired Dungeons and Dragons mythology as everything else. It's a tribute to the great stories of Greek mythology, with some liberties taken for the purpose of keeping the game exciting and playable. There's certainly things about the game that could be a shade more intelligent or less meat-headed, but it weaves together the elements of gameplay, story, character, and technology better than almost any game out there.

But if you're hellbent against aggression in games, then it's most definitely not the game for you. It's one of the most violent games out there. I don't go for all these First-Person Shooter things, or the military simulators, or Warcraft, but give me a game with an original premise, a stylish presentation, and solid visceral gameplay that allows me to let off a little steam? Heck, yes. Sign me up.

I never cared for Bud Redhead, though. I like those kinds of games a lot, but I never cared for the level design or the control in that one. Wish I could try Cave Days.

IP Logged

VernJensen
YaBB Administrator

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #8 - 31.03.2007 at 02:28:05

Psychotronic wrote on 30.03.2007 at 05:45:53:
Wish I could try Cave Days.

Is there a reason why you can't?

http://www.macgamefiles.com/detail.php?item=19413

It's a pretty well-done game, but I think aimed at a younger audience. And funny some of the similarities between it and Midnight Mansion (single screens, ladders, moving platforms that you turn on with switches, etc.) It has its own unique twists though, like you whack dinosaurs with a stick, and then can pick them up and carry them around, which looks funny. Smiley I'm left wishing it were faster-paced though. Ladder climbing in particular is so slow. But still it's a very polished game. Quite a team of people worked on it.

IP Logged

Psychotronic
Explorer

Alaska
Reply #9 - 31.03.2007 at 02:46:29

VernJensen wrote on 31.03.2007 at 02:28:05:
Is there a reason why you can't?

It won't work on a G3.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print