Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cave Story (Read 5268 times)
ryos
Explorer

Colorado, USA

Utah, USA
Cave Story
30.03.2007 at 15:10:25

Hey,

Since others have been recommending good games here, I figured I'd chime in with this one.

Cave Story is a very unique game written by a lone Japanese man and given away for free. It's something like a cross between Zelda and Metroid, with a compelling story, interesting characters, great music, and addicting, fun, challenging gameplay.

The graphics are a mixed bag, at times reminding of the NES, and other times surpassing many 16-bit-era games. What is consistent however is the quality of the art, which is very high. I personally find the presentation and style quite charming, though others may disagree.

It starts out a little slow, but the pace picks up fast!

Sorry to rave, but I just love this game, and if someone on another forum hadn't recommended it to me, I probably never would have found it. So, there you go.

Download the game from here: http://www.nakiwo.com/software.htm (the page is in Japanese, but the link to download says "Ver.0.0.7 download (universal binary)"). You can get the English translation patch here: http://www.wctc.net/~luvmimac/cavestory/DoukutsuEnglishPatchMacUniversal.tar.gz

Enjoy... Wink

P.S. for aquaMat: This game involves a lot of shooting, so maybe you wouldn't enjoy it. However, it is about as violent as Space Invaders (IOW, not violent at all). You never know what you may enjoy...I'm finally starting to enjoy DoD, and I never thought that would happen! Grin

"Fun game: try to post a YouTube comment so stupid that people realize you must be joking.  (Hint: this is impossible)" -Randall Munroe

IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Re: Cave Story
Reply #1 - 30.03.2007 at 22:16:50

Yeah I have that one.... while I liked some parts of it, after a while its "too-old-school" vintage 8-bit look got a bit on my nerves...
I also didn't like the fact you had to restart from the very beginning  too often.

But maybe I gave up too early.....  Undecided

BTW: In this case the shooting didn't bug me at all ... it's only those games whose main and only purpose is the shooting or warfare etc. that I don't like !!
For example I have no problem with the "violent bits" in - say -  CaveDays, where the caveman hits all the dinosaurs over their heads.... it's so much in a "comic-strip" context that it bears no relation to any real-world violence.... just like "The Itchy & Scratchy Show" if you know what I mean...   Wink Smiley

Why is a carrot more orange than an orange ?
IP Logged

ryos
Explorer

Colorado, USA

Utah, USA
Reply #2 - 30.03.2007 at 23:05:16

???? Start over from the beginning? The game has save points you know!  Huh

Oh yeah, I forgot to give the controls (since they're not listed anywhere in the game):

Arrow keys - move
Down arrow key - Action (talk, use save point, use teleporter, etc.)
Z - jump
X - shoot
A,S - switch weapon
Q - item screen
W - map screen (once you obtain the mapper)
Tab - toggle fullscreen

"Fun game: try to post a YouTube comment so stupid that people realize you must be joking.  (Hint: this is impossible)" -Randall Munroe

IP Logged

Psychotronic
Explorer

Alaska
Reply #3 - 30.03.2007 at 23:43:37

Maniac and I talked about this one a bit on the old forums. Great game with tons of personality. The guy who made it just released a fun little freeware space shooter, too, but I don't know if there's a mac version anywhere yet. I'm sure somebody's working on it.

EDIT: I wasn't sold on Cave Story at first either. But it's a humble game that keeps some of its best material in reserve for later. If you're not hooked once you see the giant frog boss, it's probably not the game for you, though.

And yeah, there's save points all over the place. Little rotating disks. Stand in front of them and press up.

IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #4 - 31.03.2007 at 01:19:40

ryos wrote on 30.03.2007 at 23:05:16:
???? Start over from the beginning? The game has save points you know!  Huh

No, no  Cheesy .... I meant, when you first started the game and played through the first area (I didn't get much further than that anyway), before you reached any kind of saving point....and lost your lives, you were forced to go throu some tiring start routine again and again (it's too long ago to exactly remember what it was that puzzled me) before you could continue to play where you left off.
Apart from that...I remember what puzzled me was that control was a bit akward...... so moving was a bit "stiff".

Maybe I should just retry again.... might be more fun once you've managed to get behind the first save...  Undecided Wink

IP Logged

ryos
Explorer

Colorado, USA

Utah, USA
Reply #5 - 31.03.2007 at 01:31:27

Oh, heh, wow. You never made it past the first cave? No wonder you didn't like the game...

I think that first cave is sort of a forced tutorial on moving and jumping and the like. You die a few times, and then you learn! Fortunately, that part of the game is extremely short. There is sooo much content that you're missing.

Like Psychotronic, I didn't get really "hooked" on the game until I made it to the third area (Grasstown). The Balfrog was really just icing on that cake.  And, the last few areas are really the best in the game. Cool

IP Logged

VernJensen
YaBB Administrator

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #6 - 31.03.2007 at 02:31:49

Yes, definitely play past the first area. I got a little lost (and very bored) here, and almost gave up, but I'm glad I didn't! The areas, and story, beyond that area are fantastic! Cave Story is really a gem of a game.

IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #7 - 02.04.2007 at 01:55:31

Aah...okay, I see !
I'll check it out again....later today !!
Thx.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print