Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
COLORS (Read 16737 times)
joeb
Adventurer

COLORS
14.05.2007 at 08:32:03

Comments go here...

Joe B

IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Re: COLORS
Reply #1 - 15.05.2007 at 05:10:21

Hi Joe,

I tried both MMT 4 and MMt3.

MMT 3 is IMHO much to "stressful" on the eyes. Too much dark colors, and generally the contrasts are too high, or -in case of the grey text on black underground (which can't hardly be read), not high enough.

MMT 4 is much better, I'm still using it at the moment.... although I could imagine it becoming a bit too tiring or distracting too ...after a while, but I'm not sure.

Generally I believe it's better to go with colors that are less "striking", more "opaque " (if that's the right English word for it).
The standard light blue and white tones, as boring as they were, were quite good at "not getting in the way" etc.  But I personally think it's better to go for warmer tones (than blue)....and I believe the color system of the old forums (with their orange/yellow-ish tones) was very good: not too "attention-grabbing", yet still warm.

Why is a carrot more orange than an orange ?
IP Logged

frost
Wanderer

Bremen
Reply #2 - 17.05.2007 at 00:30:08

I am 100% with aquaMat here.

One other comment: for me the headlines should not be paler than the color of the subtext which is done in MMT4. Just the other way around  Smiley

IP Logged

joeb
Adventurer

Reply #3 - 17.05.2007 at 02:23:43

I'm just about done with MMT8 which I personally like because of the midnight coloring. I've also tried a couple of the graphics I'm going to use and they look outstanding (again in my opinion) I have to fix a coupple of more things and then I'll post here when you can take a look.

Thanks for the feedback!

Joe B

IP Logged

joeb
Adventurer

Reply #4 - 17.05.2007 at 02:41:54

OK MMT8 is ready to look at.

MMT4 was the last template I did totally with the YaBB template editor. Since then I have been using Dreamweaver to put together the CSS sheets and it has worked a lot better. Even so there are still some little things that must be tweaked to get it all to look tight. Again, right now I'm just  trying to get a general idea of what everyone thinks.
I've also got a solution for the hints issue (how to present "cheats" without everyone seeing them if they don't want to).

Keep sending feedback!!!!

joe B

IP Logged

joeb
Adventurer

Reply #5 - 17.05.2007 at 02:54:40

OH MAN did I just get a SHOCK!!!!!!!!!

I tried the new templates under Safari (I use Firefox) and IE on the Mac and IE on Windows. Safari doesn't parse the CSS file the same way as Firefox. And IE on windows has a totally different color set.

Back to the drawing board.......

Joe B

IP Logged

ryos
Explorer

Colorado, USA

Utah, USA
Reply #6 - 18.05.2007 at 04:29:38

Heh, you had to pull me in via email. I'd had the Announcements board collapsed because there's rarely if ever anything posted here I'm interested in.

General comments:
  • Doggie-doo brown? Really? Wouldn't have been my first choice, but the colors are generally well-coordinated. (If you're asking my first choice I'll share, but it would take mocking up.  Huh)
  • I hate it when sites change the textarea background. It makes the insertion point all but impossible to see (Safari is leaving it black. This is probably a bug.)
  • The a:visited color stands out more than a:link.
  • There are still many artifacts of the old style that I assume you're cleaning up, such as name colors that don't fit and images that don't work. (The blue/yellow checkmark icons are particularly problematic. The blue stands out quite a bit and the yellow is so ignorable it's almost invisible.)
  • I like the icon, but it could use a border.

I just had a quick look at the CSS. UGH! Not a single ID selector to be found. How annoying is that?  Angry

Anyway, I haven't a clue what's going wrong with Safari. Since I don't know what was changed from the default, I'm not in a position to offer insight. Sorry. Sad

"Fun game: try to post a YouTube comment so stupid that people realize you must be joking.  (Hint: this is impossible)" -Randall Munroe

IP Logged

ryos
Explorer

Colorado, USA

Utah, USA
Reply #7 - 18.05.2007 at 04:41:11

An addendum: This shot of my Firefox errors console might help. The highlighted line in particular looks fishy. That "border: 1px; #666666 solid" should definitely read "border: 1px solid #666;" and may very well be the source of all (or most) of your CSS parsing problems.

Picture_1_012.png (108 KB | )
Picture_1_012.png

"Fun game: try to post a YouTube comment so stupid that people realize you must be joking.  (Hint: this is impossible)" -Randall Munroe

IP Logged

joeb
Adventurer

Reply #8 - 18.05.2007 at 05:04:14

Yes, doggy-doo brown....
Trying to match the background of the graphic. Actually I moved a little up from the original colors for that very reason. If you think THESE look doggy-doo............. It had started out with a reference to the old board being kind of orangey colored. That was WAY to bright especially since I know of at least one person out there who has a color issue and the red component bloomed too much into the text and made it less readable

No it shouldn't be #666. As far as I know all color specifications are 6 digits, 2 hexadecimal digits (0-255) for each color component, RGB.

As far as what's really got me annoyed is that Safari refuses to show the CODE colors correctly. I was going to use that for the hints issue. If you look at the forum using Firefox and look in the Here We Go section you'll see a reply from me that has DON'T RESPOND TO THIS, yada,yada,yada..... If you look at that post and go to the CODE box (solid black) you can't see the text AT ALL unless you highlight it and no matter what your default highlight color is the text will be readable. But unless I can find out what the Safari issue is that's going to be a problem. Another weird thing is that the category coloring is as it should be and it's defined the same way (although with a different name) as the section coloring. I posted on the forum board about it because we're kind of stuck with their (YaBB) variables in the CSS sheet and if Safari has a problem with that I don't see what can be done except rewriting all the Perl script with different var names. OH BOY, WHAT FUN!!!!!

Yes, there are a ton of little tweaks but until I've got the overall look set I'm not going there.

Last but not least I guess that'll teach you to not look at the WHOLE board........

Thanks for the feedback,

Joe B

doggy doo hmmmmmmmm..............

IP Logged

ryos
Explorer

Colorado, USA

Utah, USA
Reply #9 - 18.05.2007 at 05:51:40

Quote:
No it shouldn't be #666. As far as I know all color specifications are 6 digits, 2 hexadecimal digits (0-255) for each color component, RGB.

If the color consists of 3 pairs of two digits, then it can be abbreviated. Thus #666666 becomes #666 and #AABBCC becomes #ABC.

Try it and see. Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print