Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Monty's Mansion (Read 5492 times)
Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Monty's Mansion
17.06.2007 at 15:38:07

To find my MM-skills back, yesterday I started to play the very first (serious) custom mansion ever.

I know that this mansion was built as a kind of tribute to an other game that has to do with a certain Montezuma. As a MM-mansion it was however a little bit disappointing. The repetitive character of the rooms, which at first was fun, became at last dreading. Especially since too many rooms were almost empty, so with not much to do. There are a nice number of forks in
Monty's Mansion
, but missing the right order involves a lot of backtracking. Or a pretty long walk through dark rooms, before being able to go completely back to find the 3rd yellow key, needed to catch the lantern. Speaking for myself, I was far too early at the exit, which forced me to do a large detour before returning to that same exitdoor.

Besides that general feeling, twice I needed to restart because of Jack-stucks.
1° Right after the beginning of the game, I succeeded to go down alive in room 16300. With no way back. But I suppose that squirreljumps were not common in those building days.
2° In room 17103 there is a cave that can be reached by jumping up to the right. And Jack can't get out of it any more.

Special remark about room 17499. That is the one with the 2 x 3 yellow doors. Well, while it is VERY obvious how to use the 3 yellow keys (either left OR right), it is a technical fact that the wrong use of keys may lead to the largest JS-area ever seen in MM-history.

I also believe that a BBB-message is not the right way to prevent Jack-stucks. In room 16499 there is the clear advice to open the left door first. But suppose:
- a player doesn't read the BBBs;
- a player doesn't understand English;
- a player forgot what was on the BBB (because someone called him away for dinner);
- a player believes that the message is there to wrongfoot him;
and he/she opens the right door first ...

Because the difficultydegree was, in my opinion, normal, I succeeded in finishing with all secrets and exactly $ 10.000.

« Last Edit: 21.09.2008 at 23:16:58 by brell »  

IP Logged

Anthony
YaBB Administrator

Nova Scotia, Canada

Canada
Re: Monty's Mansion
Reply #1 - 17.06.2007 at 23:41:45

In my contest mansion, there's about a BBB in a room that is a "fork in the road." It explains which ways there are to go, and what they lead to. But this may be a problem, because I give advise that may lead to death if you don't follow the advise. Sad I guess I'll just put a delay on the skeletons when they rise up...  Undecided You see, if you walk through the skeletons they rise up and unless you escape and re-enter the room, you're doomed. You have to jump over them to not activate them, you see. Hmmmm.... But other then that, the other BBBs are just telling you where you're going...

Anthony Duchesne ~ Original designer of Castle Basano, Leofani Manor and Jasperlone Mountains
Anthony AnthonyDuch http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=590111070  
IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #2 - 20.06.2007 at 19:19:22

Yeah, Freddy..... I remember when it first appeared I played Monty's Mansion and didn't like it..... for all the reasons you stated.

I finished it....however it is one of very few mansions I never had the desire to play again.

(sorry for being so frank....).

Why is a carrot more orange than an orange ?
IP Logged

ryos
Explorer

Colorado, USA

Utah, USA
Reply #3 - 21.06.2007 at 07:04:44

I got bored with it too. I just put it down to the game it tries to recreate (an Atari-era game) not aging well. Since I never played that game I have no nostalgia attached. If I had I may have enjoyed Monty's Mansion more.  Cool

"Fun game: try to post a YouTube comment so stupid that people realize you must be joking.  (Hint: this is impossible)" -Randall Munroe

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print