Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Insectoid (Read 38000 times)
VernJensen
YaBB Administrator

Los Angeles, CA
Insectoid
08.09.2007 at 03:07:50

I've mentioned I'm doing a new game. Here's a VERY preliminary screenshot to wet your appetite. (Note that many things will change, including some of the graphics you see here. Some of them are quite preliminary.)

The game is a shooter, much like Galaga. Level design is being done by our very own Psychotronic. And I have an artist who is just amazing.

insectoid.jpg (82 KB | )
insectoid.jpg

IP Logged

Anthony
YaBB Administrator

Nova Scotia, Canada

Canada
Re: Insectoid
Reply #1 - 08.09.2007 at 03:12:24

Hey, I reconize that type of game! It's like Diamos Rising by Ambrosia! I loved that type of game!  Roll Eyes Make sure you add lots of cheats that make you shoot ridiculous things like burning sheep.  Tongue

Anthony Duchesne ~ Original designer of Castle Basano, Leofani Manor and Jasperlone Mountains
Anthony AnthonyDuch http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=590111070  
IP Logged

VernJensen
YaBB Administrator

Los Angeles, CA
Another one
Reply #2 - 08.09.2007 at 03:12:39

Another picture. This one is actually a static background. Whereas the screenshot I posted earlier is a new (in-progress) background that actually is animated: the sun's rays move slowly over time, and the asteroids all move. The idea is to have lots of interesting animated backgrounds that add visual "wow!" to the game.

insectoid2.jpg (97 KB | )
insectoid2.jpg

IP Logged

VernJensen
YaBB Administrator

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #3 - 08.09.2007 at 03:14:07

[Reply to Wingy's post]

Well, Mars Rising and games like it are in a category called "vertical shooters" because the screen scrolls vertically. I'd like to make a game like that some day, but that's a lot more work.

Insectoid is even more retro than that... the screen is static. You aren't flying anywhere. Just aliens on the screen to shoot, and when you shoot them, you advance to the next level. Classic arcade goodness.

IP Logged

Anthony
YaBB Administrator

Nova Scotia, Canada

Canada
Reply #4 - 08.09.2007 at 03:17:05

Ahh yes. It's like that old Swoop game that Ambroisia made. I think this will definatly be a great... remake of this type of game.

And... uh... why is the main shooter thing a bug?

Anthony Duchesne ~ Original designer of Castle Basano, Leofani Manor and Jasperlone Mountains
IP Logged

VernJensen
YaBB Administrator

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #5 - 08.09.2007 at 03:26:45

Anthony wrote on 08.09.2007 at 03:17:05:
Ahh yes. It's like that old Swoop game that Ambroisia made. I think this will definatly be a great... remake of this type of game.

And... uh... why is the main shooter thing a bug?

Like I said, some artwork will change. The main shooter is a bug because that's place-holder artwork until I get final artwork for it. Same for the blue ships in the first screenshot. And some parts of the background.

Swoop is itself a clone of an old arcade game from the Galaga era called Galaxian. But Swooop didn't add too many new ideas. I always like to add ideas of my own and change things up, so I'm not just cloning some other game. I'm making my own new game, but it's based on principles and concepts from older games... hopefully the principles and concepts that made those games so much fun.

IP Logged

Anthony
YaBB Administrator

Nova Scotia, Canada

Canada
Reply #6 - 09.09.2007 at 07:55:09

Looking forward to it! Smiley
Wingy

P.S. Make sure you add cheats to shoot
burning
flying
sheep
!  Tongue Roll Eyes Grin
Ok, I think I had my laugh. I'll stop saying that. Wink

IP Logged

Psychotronic
Explorer

Alaska
Reply #7 - 09.09.2007 at 12:24:44

What are the flying sheep from? Worms?

IP Logged

Anthony
YaBB Administrator

Nova Scotia, Canada

Canada
Reply #8 - 10.09.2007 at 01:57:43

Worms 3D, yes it has that, but not burning sheep. The idea I had in mind came from Warcraft III. I was playing the other day and there is a place in the expansion of WarCraft III where theres a secret level powerup surronded by burning flying sheep! Tongue

IP Logged

Alan Falcon
Wanderer

Vegas, baby
Reply #9 - 02.02.2008 at 21:28:46

Anthony wrote on 10.09.2007 at 01:57:43:
Worms 3D, yes it has that, but not burning sheep. The idea I had in mind came from Warcraft III. I was playing the other day and there is a place in the expansion of WarCraft III where theres a secret level powerup surronded by burning flying sheep! Tongue

Reminds me of the Cow Level from another amazing Blizzard game, Diablo II, but that may be before your time!

I absolutely LOVED Swoop when it came out.  Sure it was a pretty straightforward port, but at least it was done well.   I went looking for this the other day and was even willing to buy it again (I bought it when it first came out, but don't have that registration code anymore) but found that it never made the transition to
OS X
and I have an Intel Mac Mini now, so no Classic for me.

Definitely looking forward to Insectoid.  I've been wanting to see something awesome made with Torque 2D for some time!

-------> Original Designer of 'Falcon Manor', 'Chateau de Medusa'
-------> Now making iPhone games at FalconEmpire.com
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print