Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
Send Topic Print
A resort for retired goldhunters (Read 50385 times)
brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Re: A resort for retired goldhunters
Reply #40 - 02.10.2007 at 03:18:50

Toybox wrote on 01.10.2007 at 19:10:10:
brell wrote on 01.10.2007 at 06:22:19:
Only if I may "quote" it from you on the BBB  Cool

Be my guest  Grin

Done!

Will appear in the next update.

A stuck Jack is better than no jack

IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #41 - 02.10.2007 at 04:32:18

aquaMat wrote on 01.10.2007 at 20:24:06:
... whereas the hardest parts in ARFRG are created by pushing masnion design to its limits, with things like ladder jumps, hi-speed platforms, jumps into the void after which you have to land on the tiniest bit of vine ...

Hey, aquaMat! I KNOW that you got bored in MMaM. No problem with that. But stopping in a custom mansion always means that you are missing things. Did you play
Bedlam
? There I introduced the 2RJ = two-rooms-jump. The first ladder jumps I created already in a WiP, ages ago, which is now
House of Wonders
. In the green (easy) and blue (normal) area of MMaM, I learned players in a better, tutorial way how to do ladder jumps. Etc.

So far, I haven't seen any unfairness in
A Resort for Retired Goldhunters
. The purple area, e.g., didn't give me any problems. More or less common knowledge, if I may say so. But, no good for built-in mansion, of course. Although that isn't the point, since we are talking about CUSTOM mansions. And custom mansions only need to be fair.

IP Logged

SandyBean
Adventurer

Deroche,BC,Canada
Reply #42 - 02.10.2007 at 04:52:01

OK...... It  must just be me, since no one else has mentioned this issue, and it seems there is lots to mention.

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the multi-colored key in room 13500 on the far right corner.  I have tried jumping off of everything in sight, moving or not, climbing, going down, NOTHING IS WORKING !!!  PLEASE HELP  Undecided

I want to do the purple section first to have the backpack (that's the easy part), but see that I cannot go much further up without this key.

thanks,
Sandybean

IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #43 - 02.10.2007 at 05:13:33

brell, please apologize me, but there is a trick to take the rugsack in the second room, without opening that door in the URC ... So, from the beginning my Jack always has a rugsack! Cool

And that solves one of your problems, Sandy Bean. (This hint is dedicated to Murphy! Wink)

IP Logged

brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Reply #44 - 02.10.2007 at 06:10:54

SandyBean wrote on 02.10.2007 at 04:52:01:
OK...... It  must just be me, since no one else has mentioned this issue, and it seems there is lots to mention.

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the multi-colored key in room 13500 on the far right corner.  I have tried jumping off of everything in sight, moving or not, climbing, going down, NOTHING IS WORKING !!!  PLEASE HELP  Undecided

I want to do the purple section first to have the backpack (that's the easy part), but see that I cannot go much further up without this key.

thanks,
Sandybean

Hi SandyBean!
You don't take this key until you've finished the purple section.  You don't need it in the section itself!

IP Logged

brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Reply #45 - 02.10.2007 at 06:15:19

Freddy wrote on 02.10.2007 at 05:13:33:
brell, please apologize me, but there is a trick to take the rugsack in the second room, without opening that door in the URC ... So, from the beginning my Jack always has a rugsack! Cool

And that solves one of your problems, Sandy Bean. (This hint is dedicated to Murphy! Wink)

Hehe.  I always forget the "Toybox novelty" although it is no novelty anymore.  You could also take the gold sacks behind the blue and green door as well.  But not in the next update!  Smiley

IP Logged

ryos
Explorer

Colorado, USA

Utah, USA
Reply #46 - 02.10.2007 at 13:46:29

aquaMat wrote on 01.10.2007 at 20:02:48:
brell wrote on 30.09.2007 at 21:04:01:
Please give examples of:

1. Nasty surprise deaths

Brell, you wanted me to give a few examples...I give a few below, and those are only of the first few rooms of the 4 paths I tried yet. There might be more examples, but these are the ones I now can remember:

Purple section
1.  Rooms 13498 - 13500:  When jumping from that tiny floor bit (Left middle of room 13499) onto that bit with the purple key in  13498...and you walk back: surprise fall (well....one tends to forget that a jump is needed).

Quote:
1. Well, I cannot help if you forget that a jump is needed.  Why not take a look at your map?

Whoa guys, deja vu. I had this exact same conversation a few months ago with Aquamat about Small Palace of Gore (see attached image for context). Sadly the posts seem to have gone missing...Sad

I and others have argued before that room boundaries ought to be safe, even in hard mansions. This subconscious expectation is built up in the player by playing the built-in mansions. Nobody thinks about crossing room boundaries, nobody remembers the details of the room they just left, and most certainly nobody thinks to check the map before walking off an invisible cliff.

Toybox wrote on 01.10.2007 at 20:30:17:
Actually you get used to having to jump into the next room instead of walking there. Or you can jump into the next room, turn back in mid-air and go back where you started from - then take a peek in the map to see if there is a floor at all to support your steps Wink

Ok, so maybe not NOBODY. Wink But the point is that the game conditions you to trust the room boundaries. I would go so far as to posit that the association is as strong as one of the code-enforced rules of the game: Jack can jump, spiders kill you, and room boundaries are safe.

An unsafe room boundary feels like a broken promise, like a save pedestal that does not work or a vine that is fake and sends the player to his death. "I trusted you!" cries the falling Jack. "You promised you would hold me, but when I jumped to you I flew right through!" Likewise, floor tiles that go to the edge of a room are an open invitation for Jack to step across. Put a gap on the other side, and the player feels cheated when he dies.

Such a player would likely conclude that the mansion is poorly designed. He might even hop on the Internet, track down the mansion's designer, and point out the deficiency in hopes that he might find it helpful.

So. What happens when the designer then gets defensive and responds, in essence, that the player is at fault for forgetting that the designer has broken the rules of the game? Well...that would depend on the player.

...BUT...this is just rehashing arguments I'd vowed to let lie, having agreed to disagree and moved on and all that. I just couldn't let the irony pass me by (that aquaMat was repeating with Brell the same conversation that I'd had with him previously, but with the roles reversed). I thought it was funny! Let's all have a laugh together. Grin Grin Grin
« Last Edit: 02.10.2007 at 17:31:37 by ryos »  

spogtrap.png (69 KB | )
spogtrap.png

"Fun game: try to post a YouTube comment so stupid that people realize you must be joking.  (Hint: this is impossible)" -Randall Munroe

IP Logged

Psychotronic
Explorer

Alaska
Reply #47 - 02.10.2007 at 16:25:41

Oh, hi. Is this still the family friendly game forum where I can go for arguments and feuding? Awesome. Just checking.

IP Logged

Toybox
Treasure Hunter

Kiel, Germany
Reply #48 - 02.10.2007 at 16:50:54

ryos wrote on 02.10.2007 at 13:46:29:
But the point is that the game conditions you to trust the room boundaries.

But there is no reason to trust them in a very hard mansion: you just get used to being very, very cautious when walking around. It somehow reminds me of Indiana Jones who often has to be careful where to step Cheesy

As a little aside, I eventually got through the mansion with 100% secrets and 30025$ (maybe)  Cool

profile picture 'The Book of Secrets'
(c) Marta Bevacqua http://m0thyyku.deviantart.com/
IP Logged

ryos
Explorer

Colorado, USA

Utah, USA
Reply #49 - 02.10.2007 at 17:35:50

Wow. I just reread what I wrote, and I sound like an idiot. I wrote that while in a bad mode for reasons completely unrelated to MM or this forum. So I've stricken and yellowed the bits I'd rather not have said. Read them if you want to see me at my worst.  Embarrassed

I really did think it was funny when aquaMat complained about something I'd complained to him about before, and was trying to have a laugh, but it just came out all wrong. Sorry guys; carry on.

"Fun game: try to post a YouTube comment so stupid that people realize you must be joking.  (Hint: this is impossible)" -Randall Munroe

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
Send Topic Print