Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
A resort for retired goldhunters (Read 50144 times)
brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Re: A resort for retired goldhunters
Reply #50 - 02.10.2007 at 18:06:41

Ryos, while I am not offended in any way by your comments I strongly disagree with you that jumping between rooms is breaking the promises between the player and the builder.  So I have nothing against the jumping you point out in agauMat's PoG.

A stuck Jack is better than no jack

IP Logged

SandyBean
Adventurer

Deroche,BC,Canada
Reply #51 - 02.10.2007 at 23:18:28

Thanks Freddy and Brell for the tips and info, I was obsessed with getting that key in the first purple room, and it was really holding Jack up.  (Murphy is greatly relieved, also).

Now we have done the purple and blue sections, and are having a great time in the green section;  I think it is my favorite so far.  VERY DIFFICULT to jump the moving platforms in room 14501 !!!!  Exact timing is essential.  I loved the BBB's in the section, the humor was delightful.

Excellent work, Brell, I am truly enjoying this challenge.

Sandybean Smiley

IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #52 - 03.10.2007 at 00:56:53

Ryos.... what you say is just proving my point (and you probably know it ?!)....'cause I AM FULLY AWARE that we had a similar conversation before...and that IS the point. I remember what amount of heat I had to take for some harder spots in PoG and DoD, including being asked to remove some of the hardest bits prior to release (by  Freddy....and RIGHTLY so, I might add!).

And exactly those kind of tricks, only MUCH harder, are being pulled in ARFRG !!  And somehow I have the feeling brell feels personally attacked by my comments.....but it has NOTHING TO DO with that at all. Quite the contrary.... I said it several times before, I really love this and his other mansions (including the hard parts).

I just wanted to point out that apparently here some of the same things that caused heated discussions in DoD and PoG and God knows where else are okay and nobody dares to question them !!!

I also never said, brell, that you personally had ever asked me to remove things from my mansions, but I had discussion like that with Freddy (and rightly so, as I said above, for today I know he was right). Also I have to say if I would release PoG today it would certainly look different...'cause I have learned and back then that was my first mansion.

I just don't buy it, that I have been accused (repeatedly) of unfairness after the release of DoD, and if I dare to point out that there are similar, but harder things in ARFRG I get told I simply don't play good enough, or I should have consulted the map...etc.

Once and for all: I know how to do LADDER JUMPS. I never said they were new, or too hard per se. I have often done hi-speed platform jumps.....and survived. Not here. Also I do NOT RUN INTO ROOMS. I always walk slowly. But I still fell to my death. Just let's take that last thing as an example:

When I used a gap in the floor in the above pictured "grey rooms" in SPoG / PoG  I was told it was a bit unfair. (By brell among other people, BTW, if I remember correctly......)  I pointed out that the gap ONLY occurs when Jack goes back into a room he has been in before, meaning he has already seen the gap !!

In ARFRG such sudden gaps occur in rooms Jack has NOT seen before, immediately after he enters those rooms (rooms 13300 and 13502) !!   Isn't it understandable that I feel I should at least be allowed to point out that this is exactly the same situation I've once been blamed for....only more so... ??!!

I don't know why you react as if I attacked you personally, brell.  That's really not the case, and I siad it at least in every post, how much I liked your mansions. I did say it was only very occasionally you were going a bit too far out. That's all.

Unfortunately my English doesn't allow me to reply as fluently as I would in German....  so I probably be misunderstood again.
If so, I apologize already.
« Last Edit: 03.10.2007 at 02:08:48 by aquaMat »  

Why is a carrot more orange than an orange ?
IP Logged

brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Reply #53 - 03.10.2007 at 02:21:25

aquaMat wrote on 03.10.2007 at 00:56:53:
And exactly those kind of tricks, only MUCH harder, are being pulled in ARFRG !!  And somehow I have the feeling brell feels personally attacked by my comments.....but it has NOTHING TO DO with that at all. Quite the contrary.... I said it several times before, I really love this and his other mansions (including the hard parts).

I just wanted to point out that apparently here some of the same things that caused heated discussions in DoD and PoG and God knows where else are okay and nobody dares to question them !!!

aquaMat, I am pleased that you love my mansion and believe me, I am not taking your comments personally.  We are disagreeing on a few things and we have both the right to disagree.  Smiley
My point is that Arfrg is advertised as much harder than both PoG and DoD, for example.  You seem not to share that opinion and although we disagree on that I will fight for your right to have other views than I do on this (as they said in France on the debate of free speech/mind etc.  Wink ).
I also hope that you never ment to give the impression that I am getting away with something other builders don't just because of my position as admin.

I just don't buy it, that I have been accused (repeatedly) of unfairness after the release of DoD, and if I dare to point out that there are similar, but harder things in ARFRG I get told I simply don't play good enough, or I should have consulted the map...etc.

I am truly sorry if I offended you, that was not my meaning.  And again, Arfrg is meant to be a much harder mansion than DoD and PoG

When I used a gap in the floor in the above pictured "grey rooms" in SPoG / PoG  I was told it was a bit unfair. (By brell among other people, BTW, if I remember correctly......)  I pointed out that the gap ONLY occurs when Jack goes back into a room he has been in before, meaning he has already seen the gap !!

In ARFRG such sudden gaps occur in rooms Jack has NOT seen before, immediately after he enters those rooms (rooms 13300 and 13502) !!   Isn't it understandable that I feel I should at least be allowed to point out that this is exactly the same situation I've once been blamed for....only more so... ??!!

I just looked at the posts on PoG and SPoG and I couldn't find any by me telling you that the jump across rooms was unfair.  And as I said in an earlier post I have added maps to warn the player about those rooms in question, which will be included in the first update of Arfrg.

I don't know why you react as if I attacked you personally.  That's really not the case, and I siad it at least in every post, how much I liked your mansions. I did say it was only very occasionally you were going a bit too far out. That's all.

Unfortunately my English doesn't allow me to reply as fluently as I would in German....  so I probably be misunderstood again.
If so, I apologize already.

I am sorry if you have taken my answers as I have been offended in any way.  That is not the case.
In the end a person's opinion on any given mansion is a matter of taste.  That is completely all right.

And, unfortunately my German doesn't allow me to read as fluently as I do in English so thank you for writing in English  Grin    But Icelandic would of course have been better.  Cool

IP Logged

ryos
Explorer

Colorado, USA

Utah, USA
Reply #54 - 03.10.2007 at 02:27:15

Ryos.... what you say is just proving my point (and you probably know it ?!)....'cause I AM FULLY AWARE that we had a similar conversation before...and that IS the point. I remember what amount of heat I had to take for some harder spots in PoG and DoD, including being asked to remove some of the hardest bits prior to release (by  Freddy....and RIGHTLY so, I might add!).

Huh. My impression from our prior conversations is that we just agreed to disagree on that point and moved on. I knew that Brell and others (and, I thought until now, Aquamat) disagreed with me that room boundaries should be safe, and was prepared to just let the issue lie (although if I had been a tester for ARFRGH I would have commented on it to be sure). But, like I said I had a fart cloud in my brain or something and had to just fart out the same old arguments that never helped anything.

So, on a lighter note, typing ARFRGH, I realized it's an onomatopoeia for the sound that escapes from one's mouth while playing it. Grin Tongue Grin

"Fun game: try to post a YouTube comment so stupid that people realize you must be joking.  (Hint: this is impossible)" -Randall Munroe

IP Logged

brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Reply #55 - 03.10.2007 at 02:34:07

ryos wrote on 03.10.2007 at 02:27:15:
So, on a lighter note, typing ARFRGH, I realized it's an onomatopoeia for the sound that escapes from one's mouth while playing it. Grin Tongue Grin

But it is ARFRG, not ARFRGH!     Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Cool Roll Eyes

IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #56 - 03.10.2007 at 17:20:09

ARFRG could also be the sound of bones crashing......   Wink  Grin

...which gives me a great idea how we could celebrate that we've overcome this discussion: Let's make a new joint custom mansion.... but one where the principles of the game are reversed and Jack dies all sorts of hilarious, unnatural deaths. Each of us adds a room or two, that incorporates another hardship which only results in one thing: Jack dying again.   Wink   Cheesy

In the first room we use what I now call "Wingy's brother's money bag extravaganza" and supply money bags for 99 lives, and in each successive room the resp. designer has Jack master some unmanageable task resulting in his death. Maybe each successive designer tries to make it even more hilarious and over-the-top than the one preceeding him.....

The aim of the game???
1. Fun
2. The player has to arrive in the last room with 0 lives.
3. Remind us again that MM is - after all - only a game designed to bring us fun, so it doesn't matter if we lose 1 or 100 lives in a mansion..... in the end all we have to do is RESTART and we can have another go. Wish life would be that easy !
Smiley

Or maybe that's a stooopid idea and I've now gone completely crazy ?!
Oh....I don't know.....

Why is a carrot more orange than an orange ?
IP Logged

Chippy
Treasure Hunter

Switzerland
Reply #57 - 03.10.2007 at 19:00:34

Hey, who have this Mansion play ready? I not, its really to hard for me. Can you make this Mansion a little easier plz?  Undecided

crisscross24  
IP Logged

Toybox
Treasure Hunter

Kiel, Germany
Reply #58 - 03.10.2007 at 19:19:53

aquaMat wrote on 03.10.2007 at 17:20:09:
...which gives me a great idea how we could celebrate that we've overcome this discussion: Let's make a new joint custom mansion.... but one where the principles of the game are reversed and Jack dies all sorts of hilarious, unnatural deaths.

Wasn't this how Douglas Adams came up with the idea of Vogons destroying the Earth in order to build a new galactic bypass? If my memory serves me right, he had intended to write short stories, each of which ending up in Earth being destroyed (in an entertaining fashion).

Cheesy

Apart from that, I also thought about Custom Mansions lately....  It seems to me that they fall in two rough categories: standard and non-standard ones.

By "standard" I mean, when a player who likes the original mansions can download it and play it with no afterthought.

By "non-standard" I mean that it involves a fancy trick (ladder jumps, toybox trick, whatever) which maybe had been introduced in a previous mansion by means of tutorial or hints of some sort, and is re-used afterwards like a normal feature. This means that it might be very difficult for someone who doesn't follow all mansions all the time to play such a custom mansion without preparation. In other words, he might feel cheated if he downloads the mansion at random and tries to play it, feeling stuck or something.

While I certainly like both sorts of CMs, maybe some sort of warning should be issued so that a player wouldn't end up innocently trying to play a mansion which turns out to be impossible unless you learn the trick before?

profile picture 'The Book of Secrets'
(c) Marta Bevacqua http://m0thyyku.deviantart.com/
IP Logged

brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Reply #59 - 03.10.2007 at 19:45:23

Chippy wrote on 03.10.2007 at 19:00:34:
Hey, who have this Mansion play ready? I not, its really to hard for me. Can you make this Mansion a little easier plz?  Undecided

Mikee, as for now I have no plans to make an easier version.  Meanwhile, if you want to practise ladderjumps and other non-standard tricks, I recommend you play Freddy's Midnight Mazes and Monsters, which starts very easy and then gradually becomes more difficult until it ends very hard.

Also, in my Arfrg, try to start in the red section where you accumulate lives most quickly.

Other hard mansions with non-standard tricks to practise are e.g. House of Wonder and Bedlam, both by Freddy.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print