Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Talk boards in the custom mansions category (Read 8855 times)
brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Talk boards in the custom mansions category
14.10.2007 at 01:08:52

Freddy and I think it is time we start talking about the future layout of the Talk boards on our forum.  Right now we have two demonstrations:
1. Talk boards by popular mansions
2. Talk boards by builders.

As we see it we have 4 choices:
1. As above
2. As above
3. Talk boards about every mansion
4. Only THE "Talk" board and no other talk boards.

All of the above have their "pros and cons".  I will discuss them in reverse order:

4. Pros: The category "Custom mansions" will not get cluttered, but
Cons: The "Talk" board will.  With many different threads abou the same mansion making it very difficult for people to find appropriate posts.

3. Pros and cons reversed from number 4 and THE "Talk" board will be more or less meaningless.

2. We have now around 20 builders so if we use this approach the "Custom mansions" category will get very cluttered and THE "Talk" board will be more or less meaningless.

1. This is what we admins think is the best approach.  When I last changed the separate boards for popular mansions some mansions that had a lot of traffic much earlier were excluded.  If we had made the decision to try this in, say, July or August, then some of those mansions would have gotten their own board.
Of course the "Hall of fame" clould include mansions like DoD, ACO and perhaps one or two more that got a lot of traffic after they were published.  It is easy to do that.
If we decide to pursue this approach our suggestions for rules are:
a) The mansion gets a lot of talk traffic.  The definition of "a lot of traffic" is open to discussion.
b) When the traffic subsides all threads will be moved back to "Talk" and the separate board will be removed.  This happens after 3 months of no traffic.
c) The mansion will become a part of the "Hall of fame".

We would like to see other people's opinions on this matter before we make any decision.

A stuck Jack is better than no jack

IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Re: Talk boards in the custom mansions category
Reply #1 - 14.10.2007 at 06:14:50

What about this approach:

Wait until a certain designer has "caused" a certain amount of traffic for his mansions. This might happen after he has created his 2nd or 3rd mansion....or.... maybe even if his very first mansion caused many discussions, right after his first.

Once designer X, say, has "accumulated" for example  3 threads for his mansion A, 1 for his mansion B and 2 for his 3rd mansion C, you could create a new category Talk / Designer X, with the 3 sub-categories "Mansion A', 'Mansion B' and 'Mansion C'.

That can stay forever and will be expanded with a new sub-category once he has made a new mansion that again has caused some traffic.

Anther designer, let's call him Y, has so far only made one mansion, for which until now exists only one thread. We will leave this thread in the normal TALK category until this designer has "accumulated" more post traffic, either by creating new mansions or thru new discussions about his 1st one.

This is somewhat similar to what Freddy has suggested a while back, and I think it's the best compromise between making the orig. TALk category not too cluttered and making it obsolete (on the other hand), and also making it easy to find - say - all discussions having to do with designer W's mansion F, should a user come looking for it.

With this method all a user needs to do is:

- he needs to know (or look up) which designer created the mansion he wants to find infos about
- next he has to check if that designer already has a catgeory of his own.
- If YES, he only has to open that and locate the subcategory "Mansion F"
- If NO, he only has to open the regular TALK category and locate the thread(s) concerning "Mansion F"

I find this approach far better than giving individual categories to individual MANSIONS, which will result in far too many categories.

Just my 2 (euro-) cents......  Wink

Why is a carrot more orange than an orange ?
IP Logged

Scout
Wanderer

Reply #2 - 14.10.2007 at 11:18:29

Well, a euro is more valuable than Canadian currency so this is not probably worth much, but...

As a regular player, and one who doesn't design mansions, I have to confess that the name of the designer is not something I generally want or need to know, to the extent that this kind of search would require. If I need help with a mansion it is logical to be able to look it up by the mansion name.

...just my .175 cents worth.

IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #3 - 14.10.2007 at 18:28:57

I understand your position....BUT:

1.  Finding out which designer created a certain mansion is very easy: You can look it up in the "Downloads" section, under "Downloads sorted by mansion-name".

2.  Plus, we have the "SEARCH" functionality on the top right of every forum page. This could be a shortcut to providing that information. Just fill in the resp. mansion's name and chances are high you will find a post that tells you the designer's name instantly. (Or maybe not.... I never tried it  Cheesy   Grin)

3.  Sooner or later you will know it anyway.... Like, I'm sure you know Freddy made "Midnight, Mazes and Monsters", don't you ?

And after all, wouldn't it be the better solution to ask the users to make that (small) extra step if it prevents us from having forum categories that are too cluttered ?

Why is a carrot more orange than an orange ?
IP Logged

Toybox
Treasure Hunter

Kiel, Germany
Reply #4 - 14.10.2007 at 20:56:48

Or the name of the designer could be included in the 'comments' box of the Mansion file. It could simplify their ordering within the Custom Mansions folder, too.

profile picture 'The Book of Secrets'
(c) Marta Bevacqua http://m0thyyku.deviantart.com/
IP Logged

Scout
Wanderer

Reply #5 - 15.10.2007 at 02:32:33

I think your idea is well-thought out, AquaMat. It's just that it has been my experience that once one little inconvenience is justified, there is a tendency to continue in that vein until suddenly there are a number of tiny inconveniences that add up to one big inefficiency.

If the priority is ease-of-use for the users, then perhaps the following suggestions may be helpful (bearing in mind that I know nothing about organizing a forum and don't wish to create additional work for those kind enough to volunteer as administrators):

The home page could be divided into three main areas with subfolders: (simplified here initially by ACTION; 1. Inform, 2. Discuss, 3. Download.)

1. About the Forum
Subfolders: Posting rules, Administrators, Forum design, Members

2. Talk
Subfolders: Original Mansions, Custom Mansions, Designing, Off-topic, News

3. Download
Subfolders: Original Mansions, Custom Mansions, Test Mansions, Updates

Leaving in, at the bottom, the "Forum Statistics" and "Users Online".

Currently there are three folders on the main page that could possibly be combined : "Forums Messages", "Layout of the Boards", and "Forums Issues". Also, "Your First Post" and "Rules for Posts" perhaps could be combined. Perhaps if we can find an efficient way to organize everything else, the Mansions could be left in their own folders by Mansion name, since that is the most efficient way to find mansion-specific information. There are currently a couple of Talk folders indicated by Designer, that could be changed to their Mansion name for consistency.

I understand that Designers want recognition for all their hard work; I just don't think that it should be the means to get information about specific mansions.

IP Logged

Anthony
YaBB Administrator

Nova Scotia, Canada

Canada
Reply #6 - 15.10.2007 at 07:09:32

Scout wrote on 15.10.2007 at 02:32:33:
2. Talk
Subfolders: Original Mansions, Custom Mansions, Designing, Off-topic, News

Thats a nice idea... do you mean that each of these subfolders will go to more folders for each individual mansion subfolder? Is that possible? That would be much better, instead of that e.g Talk / Volcanis, Talk / Pirate invasion, etc...

Scout wrote on 15.10.2007 at 02:32:33:
3. Download
Subfolders: Original Mansions,...

Who needs to download the original mansions?? They're already in the game!

Anthony Duchesne ~ Original designer of Castle Basano, Leofani Manor and Jasperlone Mountains
Anthony AnthonyDuch http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=590111070  
IP Logged

brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Reply #7 - 15.10.2007 at 07:44:13

Just to make it clear:

It is only possible to have categories with boards within.  So we have two levels:

1. Categories

2. Boards

IP Logged

Scout
Wanderer

Reply #8 - 31.10.2007 at 09:08:02

Sorry Brell. When I offer a differing opinion I tend to try to make the opinion more welcome by also including alternative suggestions. It's a habit from years of business, where one often encounters a surplus of opinion but fewer actionable ideas Shocked)

I didn't realize that the limitations of the forum had already been posted elsewhere. Didn't mean to step on any toes.

IP Logged

brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Reply #9 - 31.10.2007 at 18:05:38

You didn't step on anybody's toes, Scout.  It is nice to have your opinions on this matter.  Frankly, I am disappointed in that so few of our users have commented on this matter.  Perhaps they don't care so much about the look of our boards.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print