Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hiding lethal traps (Read 9177 times)
Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Hiding lethal traps
06.12.2007 at 20:44:50

Toybox wrote on 06.12.2007 at 16:59:41:
... I didn't get actually stuck in Immortal Ruins, I just lost all my Jacks and didn't really get to start again from the last saving post. I was a little bit put off by Layer 6 hiding potentially lethal traps Undecided

Huh It may be interesting to know some more details about those traps. I did the beta-testing of this very first mansion of SandyBean and thought that everything was reasonable. But I am pretty sure that she would like to fix things that are felt as (far) over the edge.
« Last Edit: 31.08.2008 at 21:34:02 by brell »  

IP Logged

Toybox
Treasure Hunter

Kiel, Germany
Re: Hiding lethal traps
Reply #1 - 06.12.2007 at 21:43:53

I don't know if they were over the edge, really. It could well have been me having a sloppy day. I'll have to re-explore the mansion, really (difficult parts tend to get easier in time, too!)

To tell you a secret: any hidden place where you can potentially lose a Jack means I will lose several   Wink That and red birds, of course. No matter how safely far away they are flying I'm almost bound to jump into them or into some lava pit trying to avoid them Roll Eyes

EDIT: 'lethal traps' was really a poor choice of words. I meant any place where potentially you might lose a Jack, even it it means playing very clumsily (I've been known to jump into red birds without apparent reason!). I didn't mean they were cheap, nor, indeed, that they were meant as traps at all.

profile picture 'The Book of Secrets'
(c) Marta Bevacqua http://m0thyyku.deviantart.com/
IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #2 - 06.12.2007 at 21:49:56

Hah, Toybox....

that instantly gives me the idea of making a Hitchcockian Birds-mansion, just for you....  Cheesy    Cool

Like, Toybox Headren in  
"The (Red) Birds"

Why is a carrot more orange than an orange ?
IP Logged

Toybox
Treasure Hunter

Kiel, Germany
Reply #3 - 06.12.2007 at 21:52:39

You little Smiley

Tongue

IP Logged

rose
Treasure Hunter

Sweden
Reply #4 - 06.12.2007 at 22:11:39

I have also lost lives in Immortal ruins and stopped playing the mansion. Too much was hidden in the same rooms. I am usually very persistent playing. I have conquered MMM but in mansions where there isn't enough lives or shields I give up.

IP Logged

SandyBean
Adventurer

Deroche,BC,Canada
Reply #5 - 06.12.2007 at 23:42:14

Hi Rose and Toybox,   Smiley

As IR is my first Mansion I did expect it to have areas that could be improved or helped to be better.  

I would really be interested in knowing what rooms/sections you found with problematic traps, or too much hidden.   Huh

As I do plan on making more mansions in the future, this type of feedback would be very helpful, so I can build more player-friendly mansions.  Wink

Thanks in advance,

SandyBean Smiley

PS: Any other feedback from other players would be appreciated also! Smiley

PS2: Toybox:  Sometimes with the birds and a few other sprites, it is best for
Jack to wait a bit, and let them settle down

IP Logged

Toybox
Treasure Hunter

Kiel, Germany
Reply #6 - 06.12.2007 at 23:54:51

Indeed, it is very difficult to judge the difficulty of dark (in a loose sense) room when you build it. Well, I'll replay it soon and tell you more details  Smiley (Also, let me add that I liked very much playing the rest of the mansion).

And thank you for the red bird hint... Although I don't think it will prevent any irrational behaviour on my side when I see them next time  Grin

(Actually, I also have trouble with fish... Maybe I'm just bad at dodging creatures?)

IP Logged

rose
Treasure Hunter

Sweden
Reply #7 - 07.12.2007 at 00:08:21

I will try again later too but it might be until next year!

IP Logged

Toybox
Treasure Hunter

Kiel, Germany
Re: IR > Hiding lethal traps
Reply #8 - 11.12.2007 at 17:37:03

There we go. I tried playing Immortal Ruins again yesterday, and I found what I had been referring to.

I think it was the Old Warehouse. On the good side, it really looks terrific  Cool But on the other hand, what a killer!

There are lots of hidden parts behind which Jack has to walk around. Of course, the ways being hidden, you have no idea where you should go - left, right, up, down, should you jump and grab a vine, is there a lever etc. Fair enough. The difficulty is that if you make the wrong guess you may well fall to Jack's doom, which is a bit unfair. (Also, some monsters feel a bit too difficult to avoid - I'm thinking of pairs of scorpions here - but this might just be me not being careful enough).

Hidden bits should be either fool-proof, or a bit less hidden so you can keep track of where Jack is, or just have any sort of clue which may help you around (mirror image for example  Wink, or having passed the exact same room, but visible, just before, etc.).

This is not easy to do and the difficulty of such an area is very hard to assess for the designer.

Actually the mines inside the mountains (above the Warehouse section) were also a difficult hidden part, but for some reason I felt it a bit less hard. Maybe it was shorter, maybe it was easier to keep track of Jack (maybe there were fewer pitfalls).

Smiley

IP Logged

SandyBean
Adventurer

Deroche,BC,Canada
Re: IR > Hiding lethal traps
Reply #9 - 12.12.2007 at 00:11:08

Ok, Toybox,  I really appreciate the description you gave of where it might be too hidden, or too hard.   Undecided

I will play that section later tomorrow, and see how my Jack does, after so much time away from the mansion.  I will also discuss with my wonderful beta-tester as to possibilities. Smiley

thanks so much,

SandyBean Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print