Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
MM for PC's ??? (Read 31468 times)
Chippy
Treasure Hunter

Switzerland
Re: MM for PC's ???
Reply #10 - 15.12.2007 at 18:38:29

Sandy,

Look at your posts! You make always at end of your posts a smiley  Wink Cheesy That can I too!  Cool

Mikee Smiley Smiley

crisscross24  
IP Logged

ryos
Explorer

Colorado, USA

Utah, USA
Reply #11 - 06.01.2008 at 13:18:35

Wasn't there a version of MM that ran on OS 9? SheepShaver is a cross-platform (Runs on Mac, Windows, Linux) Classic Mac OS emulator/virtual machine. You need a few things to get it up and running, but once you've collected those it works fairly well. Performance is pretty good on my Intel Mac, all things considered.

If you want help getting SheepShaver to run send me a PM and I'd be happy to help.

I've also heard of people getting OS X to run in VMware for Windows. You could probably find a VMware image that would run in the free VMware player if you looked in the right (dark, seedy) corners of the Internet.

"Fun game: try to post a YouTube comment so stupid that people realize you must be joking.  (Hint: this is impossible)" -Randall Munroe

IP Logged

Anthony
YaBB Administrator

Nova Scotia, Canada

Canada
Reply #12 - 08.01.2008 at 03:16:43

I right-clicked MM, and selected "Show file contents." In /Midnight mansion PPC.app/Contents/MacOS/ there is a file of MM for Mac OS 9. So, obviously, if you have a non-intel based mac, and you start in OS 9, you just go to where you keep MM on the OS X side, and double-click Midnight Mansion when you usually boot it up. It should work. The MM PPC application works on both OS X and OS 9, when you double click the PPC version in the MM folder. The PPC version only came out in 1.1.0 I think.

Anthony Duchesne ~ Original designer of Castle Basano, Leofani Manor and Jasperlone Mountains
Anthony AnthonyDuch http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=590111070  
IP Logged

ryos
Explorer

Colorado, USA

Utah, USA
Reply #13 - 08.01.2008 at 06:06:15

If you look at the "Downloads" page, it lets you download MM 1.0.3 which was the last version of MM for OS 9. I'm downloading it now to see if it will run in SheepShaver.

"Fun game: try to post a YouTube comment so stupid that people realize you must be joking.  (Hint: this is impossible)" -Randall Munroe

IP Logged

ryos
Explorer

Colorado, USA

Utah, USA
Reply #14 - 08.01.2008 at 06:31:06

...So, I just tried it. Turns out MM for OS 9 requires OS 9.1, which SheepShaver can't run (it tops out at OS 9.0.4). So, that's a dead end. It was such a promising lead, too. Sad

IP Logged

SandyBean
Adventurer

Deroche,BC,Canada
Reply #15 - 08.01.2008 at 07:40:26

Thanks Ryos and Wingy for trying so hard to see if it would work, since the above stuff read like Greek to me !!!  (Total Computer Newbie)

I guess my niece and Grand nieces will just have to wait until they get an iMac to play MM, and then, boy won't they be pleased (on both counts)!!!

Thanks again so much, Cheesy

SandyBean Smiley

IP Logged

ryos
Explorer

Colorado, USA

Utah, USA
Reply #16 - 08.01.2008 at 16:49:31

Lookee what I did...mwahahaha!

What you see there is, in fact, Midnight Mansion running under a virtualized instance of Mac OS X 10.4.10 running inside VMware Fusion. I managed to acquire a pre-built VMware image so I wouldn't have to do any of the hacking myself. I also haven't tested the image under Windows, but since it works in Fusion it ought to work in VMware player as well.

Oh, and the game is tragically, unplayably slow. Did I mention that? Yeah, check out the frame rate. You thought Freddy's "Moon" level was bad? I guarantee you, this is worse. MUCH WORSE.

So, alas, my two great ideas have come to naught. It was fun to try anyway. Smiley

If Apple were to officially allow virtualization of Mac OS X, both VMware and Parallels would modify their software to vastly improve the experience. Maybe then MM would run. Unfortunately, if this day ever comes, it will be far in the future. I'm not holding my breath.

As it stands now, virtualized Mac OS X is a novelty created by clever hackers, but not very useful beyond that.

IP Logged

Anthony
YaBB Administrator

Nova Scotia, Canada

Canada
Reply #17 - 09.01.2008 at 13:44:41

I guess I know why that you can barely run Mac on Windows Mode. Apple probably put some anti-virtualize stuff in its base-code so... it just won't run, fast enough, at least. Thats the message. Don't buy a windows computer to run Mac, just buy a mac. Tongue

E-bay has some pretty good Mac junk, er- I mean, "antiques." If you just want a $100 thing that runs MM, then go check E-bay out.

(HINT: Don't get anything thats older then 1987)

By the way, Ryos, I had windows on my computer.... I would've loved to see some people "try" to run Mac on windows, but, *sigh* alas, Mac is in the world's best Personal Computer. I even think Linux is better, seriously. I had to delete windows because... I opened my web brower to see if the Internet was working, BAM 3 downloads 1,300 virus' on my Windows side. I had to erase it all.

And how many times have I gotten a Virus before on my Mac? *sigh* Too bad, Windows, 0.

Anthony Duchesne ~ Original designer of Castle Basano, Leofani Manor and Jasperlone Mountains
Anthony AnthonyDuch http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=590111070  
IP Logged

ryos
Explorer

Colorado, USA

Utah, USA
Reply #18 - 10.01.2008 at 02:59:47

Actually, it's nothing so sinister as that. VMware does a pretty good job of creating a virtual computer for your guest OSs to run on, but for a really smooth experience, you need optimized drivers and other bits installed in the guest OS. This affects everything from mouse movement to (most important) graphics performance.

Windows runs similarly slowly until you install VMware tools. The difference is, Windows XP's graphics API (GDI) is not nearly so GPU-intensive as Quartz, so you don't notice the slowness quite so much as with a virtualized Mac OS X. I bet Windows Vista would also be quite slow without VMware tools, but I haven't tried it yet.

VMware provides tools for a huge number of OSs, from Windows to Solaris to several Linuxes. If Apple were to allow it, they would surely write tools for OS X as well, but Apple wants to sell hardware and, thus, doesn't want people virtualizing OS X on El Cheapo commodity hardware.

IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #19 - 13.01.2008 at 03:07:46

Huh After Greek, we got some lessons in Latin!  Grin

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print