Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Problems with older custom-graphics mansions (DoD) (Read 4931 times)
aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Problems with older custom-graphics mansions (DoD)
13.12.2007 at 17:48:05

Dear friends,

a couple of days ago I replayed my old "Discotheque Of Doom". As you might remember it was created back in March with an earlier version of MM. Back then, when we wanted to incorporate custom graphics we had to supply additional "Midnight Mansion Sprites" and sometimes even "Midnight Mansion Graphics" files for the game data folder.

This is no longer needed since version 1.0.9. came out.
However, I found out that older mansions with custom graphics can show some very strange effects when opened in MM 1.0.9.

To be able to play DoD with the custom graphics I had to exchange the MM Sprites and MM Graphics files (the old way) in the Game Data folder. After doing that it should be possible to play pre-1.0.9. custom graphics mansions quite perfectly (that's what Vern said).

BUT: While all my custom graphic bits worked perfectly, suddenly there was a new problem - in every room were I used switches (floor buttons) they were surrounded by a square white background, which totally - corrupted - the images and often gave the game away (by immediately showing were hidden switches were etc.).  (Just to make it clear: those switches are NO custom graphic bits, except for one !!!)

It looks terrible. See for yourself (Pic below).

In the meantime I discovered the reason for that:
Apparently Vern has changed the "method" with which floor switches are designed. While (in the res file) they used to have their image on a WHITE background in older versions, like most other sprites, they now have their image on a turqoise (purple-ish) background (which is the color for "transparent background").

After I have changed my custom switch to a transparent background the problem was gone.

I advise you strongly, should you ever have created mansions with custom graphics PRIOR to version 1.0.9., to check them for problems !

- edited by brell
« Last Edit: 15.12.2007 at 02:51:17 by brell »  

Why is a carrot more orange than an orange ?
IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Re: Problems with older custom-graphics mansions (
Reply #1 - 13.12.2007 at 17:54:17

Another big problem were the custom-BBBs I used in DoD.
You might remember there were those beautiful special BBBs that had a 1970s-style DoD-logo plus an orange circular graphic on them (with additional text of course).

For those backgrounds I had to supply players the extra "MM Graphics" file for Game Data.

I finally have found a solution for that too, and the new update (see different thread for info on this) will no longer need any additional res files at all, but still have those custom backgrounds and all other DoD functionality.

IP Logged

Toybox
Treasure Hunter

Kiel, Germany
Reply #2 - 13.12.2007 at 18:09:22

Tut tut Aquamat, no swearing  Lips Sealed

aquaMat wrote on 13.12.2007 at 17:48:05:
BUT: While all my custom graphic bits worked perfectly, suddenly there was a new problem - in every room were I used switches (floor buttons) they were surrounded by a square white background

Oh, I had noticed that before on a colour-blind customised sprites set which Ryos had made for me (thanks again Ryos by the way!). I had no idea what was going on, so I went back to the old style again Undecided

I look forward to DoD 2 then anyway!

profile picture 'The Book of Secrets'
(c) Marta Bevacqua http://m0thyyku.deviantart.com/
IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #3 - 13.12.2007 at 19:11:22

Toybox wrote on 13.12.2007 at 18:09:22:
Tut tut Aquamat, no swearing  Lips Sealed

What does that mean ??  Undecided

IP Logged

Semi-Native
YaBB Administrator

Orlando, FL  USA
Reply #4 - 14.12.2007 at 19:33:54

aquaMat wrote on 13.12.2007 at 19:11:22:

What does that mean ??  Undecided

Read the 4th paragraph of your topic post, aquaMat.

IP Logged

brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Reply #5 - 14.12.2007 at 19:45:34

Semi-Native wrote on 14.12.2007 at 19:33:54:
aquaMat wrote on 13.12.2007 at 19:11:22:

What does that mean ??  Undecided

Read the 4th paragraph of your topic post, aquaMat.

Oops!  I missed that.  aquaMat, please modify ASAP.

Edit:  Paragraph modified by brell
« Last Edit: 15.12.2007 at 02:52:06 by brell »  

A stuck Jack is better than no jack

IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #6 - 15.12.2007 at 20:50:16

I had discussed that one already via PM with Toybox.

That word only "slipped through" because I copied that exact text from a private mail to Freddy (after he told me I better report that problem on the boards).
(That was the reason why the middle of the F-word wasn't xx'ed out).

Apart from that, I have to say I really find it a bit "politically over-correct" to define the word "fuxxxd up" (in the sense it was used here) as "swearing".
And I also think it's pretty ridiculuous to believe kids will be endangered by the use of that word on a web forum.

Just listen to the average rap lyrics those exact same kids are listening to, or take a look at the explicit killing of people in modern action films. Nobody finds the latter politically uncorrect, but God beware there'd be a (semi-) nude woman in that same film......

Least of all, listen to some average kids' day-to-day use of language and you will find words in there that will definitely go well beyond what even I categorise as swearing....   Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print