Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Discotheque Of Doom 2.1 - coming soon (Read 14568 times)
aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Discotheque Of Doom 2.1 - coming soon
13.12.2007 at 17:56:42

After finding solutions for the problems discussed in "Talk >Problems with older custom graphics mansions (DoD)" I announce the arrival of:

Discotheque Of Doom 2.1

In this update it is no longer necessary to swop any graphic files. You can experience DoD easier than ever before.... only the supplied music files should be put into Game Data >Music (provided you don't have them already) and off you go !

A good reason to re-play DoD !

PS: I have sent all necessary files to Freddy yesterday, and I'm sure he will release it very soon.

(Version-number completed by Freddy)
« Last Edit: 30.08.2008 at 23:50:33 by brell »  

Why is a carrot more orange than an orange ?
IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Re: Discotheque Of Doom 2 - coming soon
Reply #1 - 16.12.2007 at 04:46:24

Version 2.1 is downloadable now. Smiley The only file swopping that is left, is the dragging of 5 music files. Makes MM-life much easier!

About the downloading:
1° since the zipfile has a size of 16 MB, the downloading will take several minutes;
2° in the DoD-folder you get, after unzipping, a read-me-first file explains how to do the file swopping.

IP Logged

Toybox
Treasure Hunter

Kiel, Germany
Re: DoD > Discotheque Of Doom 2.1 - coming soon
Reply #2 - 17.12.2007 at 23:16:00

I'm started replaying DoD, and there is this little detail which puzzles me. Sometimes you exit a room with music and enter a silent zone, but when you come back into the previous room the music doesn't start again. (I didn't note down the room numbers  Embarrassed) Maybe it would be nice to amend this?

(It is terrific music by the way  Cool)

profile picture 'The Book of Secrets'
(c) Marta Bevacqua http://m0thyyku.deviantart.com/
IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #3 - 19.12.2007 at 00:08:58

First of all, thanks for the compliments on the music, Toybox.

The effect you notice is due to the way music is handled within the game (which can sometimes work to one's advantage and sometimes not.....).

In any given room you can decide whether music is OFF, or ON (in this case the ID determines WHICH music file is played, OR (by choosing ID 0) you can determine that no change will occur (compared to the room before).

This way it can happen, that - say - in room A music file 1 is playing, next is room B, where there is NO CHANGE selected (music 1 keeps playing), and a third room, room C is silent.
If you now return to room B, from room C, music has been set to "Silence" and when you return to room B NO CHANGE will occur, resulting in room B being silent (even if it was not when you entered it coming from room A).

Hope that was clear enough ?!

On top of that, as a change in music sadly results in a visible delay when entering a room, selecting NO CHANGE is often preferrable.

IP Logged

Toybox
Treasure Hunter

Kiel, Germany
Reply #4 - 19.12.2007 at 03:49:42

Yes, I know how the music changes work (I had quite a few problems in, I think, Dragon's Trap  Undecided). And I agree that both methods, restarting the music or keeping the silence, have their pros and cons.

But it was a bit frustrating to have the nice custom music and then to lose it because I popped in somewhere to have a peek in a neighbouring room. Obviously, it means I should play more carefully next time  Wink (Not to mention finding only 80% secrets!)

I would also like to complain about the zapper beams in rooms 20719 and 20906, although it means I am much more skilled now Roll Eyes Mostly, I miss a saving point close before Embarrassed

Also, in 20906, there might be some little problem with one zapper beam not corresponding to a coloured-ball-brick. (I'm not sure, it needs checking).

IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #5 - 19.12.2007 at 07:32:52

Dear Toybox,

I agree that the zappers in the rooms you mentioned are kinda tough, but they are manageable (even if only after a bit of rehearsing  Wink).

I spent quite some time finetuning those zappers, and you can be sure that there's nothing there left to accident or chance.....

Room #20719:
As usual watch carefully before you make your move! Especially the third "zapper block" is tough.....  try to get in the groove.....!

Room #20906:
Well.... what shall I say.... Wink   Here you picked indeed the toughest zapper room (in fact only Psychotronics thunderstorm strikes me as more vicious).... but, again, once you've figured out what the groove is (there's a method to that madness) you will make it.

However, even I still lose lives there (after I haven't played for a while)....but as a hint: there is 1 certain point in the rhythm of the zappers where you should start to jump "upwards" (>to the balcony), and that point usually looks as if it's too early.... (did you understand that hint ??).

BTW: There's no error in that room..... every zapper gets turned off (and back on again) at exactly the time and place where I wanted it to happen.... and - in case you don't already know that - I'm sorry to report: you will have to go through that room again (!!)....but before the second time there's a saving point, so that's a small "compensation"......

PS: In case you didn't know: I don't like zappers very much either....so room 20906 is very un-typical for me....! (I probably deliberately buoilt something in to frustrate myself  Cheesy   Wink )

IP Logged

Toybox
Treasure Hunter

Kiel, Germany
Reply #6 - 19.12.2007 at 16:18:22

aquaMat wrote on 19.12.2007 at 07:32:52:
Room #20719:
As usual watch carefully before you make your move! Especially the third "zapper block" is tough.....  try to get in the groove.....!

The first time I tried to go through the room, I lost all my Jacks in the first zapper blocks Embarrassed The next time, I could pass them almost without stopping, and the third block did it  Cry

And then I finally managed. Expertise comes with rehearsing  Cool

Room #20906:
Well.... what shall I say.... Wink   Here you picked indeed the toughest zapper room (in fact only Psychotronics thunderstorm strikes me as more vicious).... but, again, once you've figured out what the groove is (there's a method to that madness) you will make it.

I never got through the Thunderstorm  Shocked

However, even I still lose lives there (after I haven't played for a while)....but as a hint: there is 1 certain point in the rhythm of the zappers where you should start to jump "upwards" (>to the balcony), and that point usually looks as if it's too early.... (did you understand that hint ??).

Yes, I found the point finally. Looking too early describes it very accurately Smiley

BTW: There's no error in that room..... every zapper gets turned off (and back on again) at exactly the time and place where I wanted it to happen.... and - in case you don't already know that - I'm sorry to report: you will have to go through that room again (!!)....but before the second time there's a saving point, so that's a small "compensation"......

Maybe the decoration felt misplaced. I think the zapper starts one brick to the right of the little coloured ball. Then again, maybe not.

PS: In case you didn't know: I don't like zappers very much either....so room 20906 is very un-typical for me....! (I probably deliberately built something in to frustrate myself  Cheesy   Wink )

Who likes zapper beams anyway? Wink
I usually force myself to include a few in my mansions, because you have to, but it makes me feel a bit guilty  Cheesy

IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #7 - 19.12.2007 at 16:30:37

I didn't ever get through that thunderstorm (completely), neither !!  Sad

IP Logged

Toybox
Treasure Hunter

Kiel, Germany
Reply #8 - 19.12.2007 at 17:24:22

Legend has it that once you pass the first room it becomes comparatively easy.

Ah, we should have suggested as a new feature some sort of Faraday Helmet, to get through zapper beams unscathed. Or a magic Smiley

IP Logged

Toybox
Treasure Hunter

Kiel, Germany
Reply #9 - 19.12.2007 at 22:19:40

Eighty percent? EIGHTY PERCENT? But but but.... I have found at least a thousand of them! How many were hidden in this mansion? Could it be linked to those huge black areas I had in the map at the end?  Wink

Smiley

Picture_1_005.jpg (138 KB | )
Picture_1_005.jpg

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print