Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
The end of swopping-files ? (Read 16643 times)
Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
The end of swopping-files ?
28.12.2007 at 19:33:52

Thanks to a reminder by Vern AND to aquaMat's recent work at Discotheque of Doom, I am pretty sure that almost all custom mansions in future will be playable without any files-swopping.

The following 2 mansions will be updated by the admins to prove that it is really possible:
Immortal Ruins
and
Discotheque of Doom

Two other mansions can be done fast as well, but first need to be beta-tested and fixed in a serious way. From one of them, I already received an update to do some aplha-testing. No beta yet, I am afraid.

For the few designers who also used customized graphics, sounds and/or sprites (
Wingy
and
joeb
) I advise to contact aquaMat. Not only to know how he handled his sprites and graphics, but also why and which problems he got. And IF Wingy's 3 and joeb's 2 mansions could be changed like DoD, than ALL CUSTOM MANSIONS SHOULD BE FREE OF FILES-SWOPPING.

What a comfort would that be!   Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Semi-Native
YaBB Administrator

Orlando, FL  USA
Re: The end of swopping-files ?
Reply #1 - 28.12.2007 at 19:35:08

Amen to that. File swapping gets pretty tiresome.
That would be really great.

IP Logged

joeb
Adventurer

Reply #2 - 28.12.2007 at 22:22:57

HUH?

Where's the start of this thread? I have absolutely no idea what this is about but since I being asked to fix something I'd kind of like to know what it is I'm fixing.

Thanks guys,

Joe B

IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #3 - 29.12.2007 at 03:56:34

You didn't miss anything joeb!

But I was going to make this introduction-post with the "good news", followed by the updates of IR and DoD. And emails to Wingy and you. Alas, this afternoon something came in between and the post stayed isolated and was probably confusing.

What is going on ... ? Two seperate things! But that hopefully will lead to one target: the end of files-swopping. I explain. More clearly now.

1° When I did send an email to Vern a few days ago, with an idea about a better handling of
music- and screenfiles
, he replied me that already in MM 1.0.8 he added a feature to make things even more easy than what I was asking for right now. I am to blame that I missed that issue, but the good news is that we, admins, don't need any help of all the seperate designers to make the needed updates. The update of
Immortal Ruins
will show how it is possible, after downloading a mansion, to drag ONLY ONCE the mansionfile and the datafolder to the Custom Mansions folder. And afterwards no more files-swopping. So far the story about
screens and music

2° This second part is about
graphics, sprites and sounds
. And a coincidence! A few weeks ago aquaMat reported me that, since version 1.0.9, his
Discotheque of Doom
couldn't be played any more in a proper way. He sent me images of indeed awful looking rooms with white areas and other odd stuff. He assumed that it had to do with the new feature of "built-in" graphics and sprites that are possible since 1.0.9, while DoD was build before. He very surprisingly came with an update where all his graphics and sprites were built-in. Thus, since the last update od DoD (version 2.1) the graphics- and sprites-files don't need to be swopped any more. I know he put a lot of time and energy in it, but I am sure he will share his experiences with the 2 other designers, Wingy and joeb, who worked with customized graphics, sprites and sounds as well. Now, and here comes the coincidence, if Wingy and joeb, because of problems with some of their mansions (since 1.0.9) or not, would be so nice to built-in their graphics, sprites (and hopefully also sounds) as well, than files-swopping will be the Paleolithicum!!

My next steps are:
1° creating updates for IR and DoD;
2° sending emails to Wingy and joeb.

IP Logged

joeb
Adventurer

Reply #4 - 29.12.2007 at 04:49:03

Thanks Freddy.

I don't know why aquaMat had an issue with custom graphics. I just put them into the mansion file and they work fine. No swapping needed! I need to find (unless you know where it is) the doc from Vern about the custom backgrounds.
If I remember correctly the background screens need to be put into a Screens folder. That folder and the custom mansion file need to be in their own folder inside the Custom Mansions folder in the MM folder structure.
For instance the mansion I'm about to release, which Matt has named Radeka (don't ask me why the name), the setup would be:

Custom Mansions -> Radeka (folder)
Radeka (folder) -> Radeka (mansion file)
Radeka (folder) -> Screens (folder)
Screens (folder) -> background7.jpg, background8.jpg, etc.

Is that right? Also FYI I think you mean file SWAPPING.   Wink

Speaking of Radeka, who do I send it to for testing?

Thanks,

Matt & Joe B

IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #5 - 29.12.2007 at 05:06:29

@ joeb:
Speaking of a superfast reply! Thx.

I don't think that aquaMat had problems with building in his graphics and sprites. But BEFORE doing that, playing his mansion with 1.0.9 showed odd features that he couldn't fix in an easy way. He may tell you everything about it, but he is on holiday for the time being. Lucky guy!

Concerning the backgrounds (= screens), don't worry. That is our stuff. Besides e.g. the Radeka mansionfile, we make a Radeka Data folder with both the screens and the music. Both file and folder need to be dragged to the Custom Mansion folder for once and for ever. Sounds nice, isn't it!

Please send your updated mansions to me. But, unless you changed things in it, no screens or music. All those files I have. Please have a look at my question about the secrets as well. See my email from the 8th of December. Thx.

The updates of IR and DoD are already downloadable.

IP Logged

joeb
Adventurer

Reply #6 - 29.12.2007 at 07:14:08

email or PM? I don't see anything in my email from you. You might have gotten filtered out though. I've been getting like 90% spam so I keep adding filters and it might have caught a word in your email that was on my restricted list. I'll just add you to my email pass addresses rule.
Sorry about that.
Radeka was a 60 room mansion that would have been my contest mansion. It has since expanded to ~100 rooms and is by far the most difficult Matt & I have created. His original name for it was Sneaky Chateau because of all the little visual hooks. We've created a swamp brick that Jack can move thru but he's 80% hidden. There are also slime snakes which blend in with the swamp brick and can only be recognized by their bright yellow eyes when they're swimming. Some of the traps might be considered "CHEAP DEATHS" but I don't consider them so because if you watch for things (like web strands) you'll know that there is a critter (web strands = spider) in hiding. Should be to you in about a week (or sooner)

Thanks,

Matt & Joe B

IP Logged

joeb
Adventurer

Reply #7 - 29.12.2007 at 07:20:47

Here's a swamp shot with one of the snakes sittin on a platform and 4 more swimming in the muck

jb

ps that's a custom bg that you don't have yet.

swamp.jpg (250 KB | )
swamp.jpg

IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #8 - 29.12.2007 at 13:10:47

joeb wrote on 29.12.2007 at 07:14:08:
email or PM? ...

Email. Sent it again, a few minutes ago. Please give a yell if it shouldn't arrive. Thx.

IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #9 - 29.12.2007 at 13:16:37

joeb wrote on 29.12.2007 at 07:20:47:
Here's a swamp shot with one of the snakes sittin on a platform and 4 more swimming in the muck

jb

ps that's a custom bg that you don't have yet.

Superb. The snakes are almost invisible! Shocked

And of course, when a designer created new music or screens, those files need to be sent as well.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print