Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
The end of swopping-files ? (Read 16796 times)
Toybox
Treasure Hunter

Kiel, Germany
Re: The end of swopping-files ?
Reply #10 - 30.12.2007 at 01:22:05

I'm getting confused with the file-swopping thingie. So now I have to ask:

1) If I have a mansion with only custom background or music (ie. not the sprites), for example 'Church':

Is it enough to put the extra screens and music in a 'Church Data' folder inside the CM folder and just play without worrying about anything else?

Do screens and music have to go into separate subfolders of 'Church Data'?

2) If sprites too are custom-made, as in 'Starcraft' for example: does it work the same way?

Huh

profile picture 'The Book of Secrets'
(c) Marta Bevacqua http://m0thyyku.deviantart.com/
IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #11 - 30.12.2007 at 01:37:14

Well, what I was up to, was preparing the 9 custom mansions for all our MMF-members and -guests, where not-standard music, screens, graphics, sprites and/or sounds are involved. So far, only 2 got "done". See upper left corner of our homepage.

As I tried to explain in a previous post, there is a major difference between:
1° sprites, sounds & graphics;
and:
2° screens & music.

When items from point 1 are involved, you really need to wait. As soon as I receive the updates of those mansions of the designers, they will get released.

When only music and/or screens are involved (and you can't wait  Wink) you need to create a folder with exactly the same name of the mansion + Data. In your example: Church Data. In that folder you put all screens and music files. You place that folder besides the mansionfile in the Custom Mansions folder. And when you start playing Church, the game automatically finds the needed files in the Church Data folder!

IP Logged

Toybox
Treasure Hunter

Kiel, Germany
Reply #12 - 30.12.2007 at 01:41:23

I had understood correctly then Smiley

Let's make the folder changes now.

profile picture 'The Book of Secrets'
(c) Marta Bevacqua http://m0thyyku.deviantart.com/
IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #13 - 30.12.2007 at 01:45:48

The reason that the other 7 mansions are coming a little bit later is because of other issues. E.g. sam skelton is right now busy with the fixings in Church.

IP Logged

ryos
Explorer

Colorado, USA

Utah, USA
Reply #14 - 06.01.2008 at 10:02:48

If memory serves (and I think it does Wink), this is how things have worked since 1.0.8:

1) Tiles and sprites can be placed in the mansion file and will be loaded by the game.
2) Screens and music need to be placed in a folder named "[Mansion Name] Data" and will be loaded by the game. The mansion is not placed in this folder, and both the mansion file and the folder are placed in the root of the "Custom Mansions" folder.
3) The game will not load custom sounds. So, if you want to change the sounds you still need file swapping. I'm pretty sure "Dominator" is the only mansion that has changed the sounds. In that case, Decorum is your friend.

I've been a little confused about the new mansions that have come out with instructions on how to swap the files in by hand, when it's not longer necessary. I had no idea that people just didn't know about these things, since (I thought) they were pretty well-documented. Anyway, kudos for this new effort.

"Fun game: try to post a YouTube comment so stupid that people realize you must be joking.  (Hint: this is impossible)" -Randall Munroe

IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #15 - 06.01.2008 at 12:57:24

ryos wrote on 06.01.2008 at 10:02:48:
... I've been a little confused about the new mansions that have come out with instructions on how to swap the files in by hand, when it's not longer necessary. ...

Guilty as charged!  Embarrassed Sad Angry Wink

IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #16 - 24.01.2008 at 20:52:34

This feature might be around longer than we have noticed, however there are still many custom graphic mansions out there that have not yet been updated accordingly.
Dominator, Mummy's Revenge, Star Craft, Testing Mansion and Church are the ones I remember now, but there could be more.....!

I'm sure there are other users out there, like myself, who would like to play - say - Dominator again, and would do so much more spontaneously if the mansion could be played without the need of file-swopping.
So it's only a small step for the designer, to misquote Neil Armstrong, but a huge leap for MM-ankind..... to make these mansions work with the new feature.  Wink

Why is a carrot more orange than an orange ?
IP Logged

ryos
Explorer

Colorado, USA

Utah, USA
Reply #17 - 25.01.2008 at 04:31:37

aquaMat wrote on 24.01.2008 at 20:52:34:
I'm sure there are other users out there, like myself, who would like to play - say - Dominator again, and would do so much more spontaneously if the mansion could be played without the need of file-swopping.

I've been playing Dominator since the betas without manual swapping, via Decorum. Decorum's been available for quite some time (almost a year, right?), and is so much nicer than swapping by hand that I'm frankly a little bemused when people who don't use it complain about what a pain it is to swap files by hand.

I'm just saying. Cool

Quote:
So it's only a small step for the designer, to misquote Neil Armstrong, but a huge leap for MM-ankind..... to make these mansions work with the new feature.  Wink

While I agree that it would be nice if designers did this, I also recognize that there's nothing stopping anyone from doing it themselves. It really isn't that hard...just a copy/paste job with a resource editor, right?

However, it's worth noting that Dominator will never be swapping-free, due to the fact that MM does not load custom sounds and (if Vern is to be believed) never will. Sad

EDIT: I decided Joeb probably wouldn't mind if I posted Dominator (and Chase the Bots) here, wrapped in Decorum. So, here you go. Have fun. Wink

Play_Dominator.zip (12985 KB | )

"Fun game: try to post a YouTube comment so stupid that people realize you must be joking.  (Hint: this is impossible)" -Randall Munroe

IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #18 - 25.01.2008 at 19:17:53

Ryos,

I know that you developed and use Decorum for that purpose, but - although I downloaded it back then - I never got to grips with it.

Apart from that.... the new "process"/method would be even simpler than Decorum.

And as for your second point: I agree that users could do it themselves, and, frankly, I did in a few instances. But not only would it be better if the designers did it "officially", there also are a few more "complicated" custom graphics mansions out there, that require a bit of fine-tuning before the new method can be applied.

That was the case with Discotheque Of Doom, I had to change/adapt a couple of things, including BBB backgrounds and texts and more....and that would have been clearly beyond the scope of the "normal user".

Besides I wouldn't want all the users to mess with my mansions, resulting in X differently adapted versions. Then I rather make the effort to invest an hour or two of work and adapt it myself.

Lastly, as for "Chase The Bots", which was my creation based on the Dominator graphics, I had thought about adapting that....but I found it'd make more sense to let Joe release an adapted Dominator first.

Why is a carrot more orange than an orange ?
IP Logged

ryos
Explorer

Colorado, USA

Utah, USA
Reply #19 - 26.01.2008 at 11:13:06

Interesting. Out of curiosity, what sorts of issues did you encounter getting DoD ported over?

I'm also interested to know what factors kept you from "coming to grips", as you put it, with Decorum. Not that I'm likely to improve it (as you correctly note, it's pretty much unnecessary as of MM 1.0.8), but I like to hear constructive criticism on my work in the hope that things I do in the future turn out better. Smiley

As for my "just do it yourself" quip...I think I have to apologize. It's my kneejerk reaction to complaining on Internet message boards--there's so many people pining for others to do things for them that they could do for themselves that I tend to get a little grumpy about it. I do agree that it would be nice if developers adapted their mansions, and didn't realize the greater issues facing such efforts, but I'm also the type to try and fix things that annoy me before asking someone else to do it for me.

So, I'm sorry I said anything. Wink

Oh, and sorry also for not giving credit for "Chase the Bots". I'd forgotten it was you who made that. I'll say it a third time - a "converted" version of Dominator is impossible due to the custom sounds. It remains the only graphic set for which something like Decorum is absolutely necessary if you want to avoid swapping by hand.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print