Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
The end of swopping-files ? (Read 16753 times)
Toybox
Treasure Hunter

Kiel, Germany
Re: The end of swopping-files ?
Reply #20 - 26.01.2008 at 21:29:15

I tried to install Decorum (and even the ready-made Play Dominator) but didn't manage. Here comes a (possibly nebulous) account:

1) The ready-made file.

I tried to launch it, but got several Error messages (I can't remember which ones, but I'll check that after I put my laundry to dry). Apparently, files were not all in the place they should have been.

Honestly, I didn't try to look further into the matter. It was late and I was tired anyway. Most probably, if I tried to read *and to understand* the messages, I could end up putting the right files in the right places and Bob's your uncle.

2) Decorum.

Well, I read the instructions but didn't quite understand what I was supposed to do, then I gave up.

Again, I must point out that it was a quick read. Most terms and notions were unfamiliar to me, so that again I didn't put too much effort into understanding the procedure - and if you don't try to understand something you're not familiar with, you can imagine the result.

I will however, definitely get back to it and try to see what I should do. It shouldn't be so hard, especially since you really took the trouble for a step-by-step procedure to follow! Besides, that's how we learn, isn't it? (Just promise me I won't do anything irreparable if things go wrong  Wink)

Smiley

OK, to summarise things: the reasons why I didn't manage are, on the one hand unexpected errors and not in the right state to try and fix them; on the other hand some unfamiliar procedures which I was a bit scared and too lazy to attempt to follow.

In any case, I'll go back to it during the week-end and keep you posted.

EDIT: launching Play Dominator gives me the following message:

"AppleScript Error

Finder got an error: An item with the same name already exists in the destination. (-15267)"

profile picture 'The Book of Secrets'
(c) Marta Bevacqua http://m0thyyku.deviantart.com/
IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #21 - 26.01.2008 at 23:00:37

@ryos:

1. The issues I encountered while porting DoD:
A) Since I used special BBB-backgrounds in DoD (featuring a cute 1970s-type DoD-logo plus graphic) I had to somehow incorprate those into the new version of the game. You might remember that BBB-procedures have changed (since 1.0.8 I guess), so now it's possible to type the BBB-text directly into the BBB in the editor, whereas at the time of DoD's initial release you still had to use a res editor.
The problem: The dowwnside of that is, that I had to find a new solution for the BBB-backgrounds, which used to be in the extra supplied "MM graphics" file (in the old versions).

B) Another problem was my use of a custom switch. Suddenly all floor switches (not only the custom one) had white squares around them (see resp. thread with screenshot about that topic). I found out that - somewhere between the last 2 updates - Vern had apparently changed the "design method" for floor switches. Where they once used white background (which later appeared transparent) they now use that purpleish/blueish-colored background that is also used for other transparent backgrounds (e.g. ladders).
After I had changed my one custom floor switch, the white squares around ALL floor switches vanished too, bizarrely.

These are just 2 major examples, there was more....
As you see, it isn't always as straightforward as simply naming a folder XXX-mansion Data and throwing that ino the Custom Mansions folder.

I strongly recommend all designers that have used custom graphics in mansions that were designed with MM versions 1.0.7 or earlier to check if they still play as they should. Take a special look at those floor switches, BBB-texts etc.

BTW: I just played "House Of The Dead" again (it's so full of faults...I was sshocked) and there - amongst loads of other issues I also saw non-working BBBs (empty text-fields were displayed).
Although - given the general state of this mansion - it can very well be that this has nothing to do with "versions".... maybe the designer simply included a BBB without text ?!

2. My problems with Decorum were basically the same as those described by Toybox, although I haven't yet tried your new "packed" Dominator version. But I remember from when you released it, that I had problems to get it to work properly.
Like Toybox I admit I haven't been patient enough to try it longer or again......

Why is a carrot more orange than an orange ?
IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #22 - 26.01.2008 at 23:12:30

....Aah...and of course you are absolutely right with your comments about the custom sounds in Dominator !!
I had completely forgotten that this mansion has custom sound FX.

Why is a carrot more orange than an orange ?
IP Logged

ryos
Explorer

Colorado, USA

Utah, USA
Reply #23 - 27.01.2008 at 16:28:17

@Toybox:
Just launching the app gave you that error? If so, what version of Mac OS X are you running? I've not seen that.

Or did it happen when you clicked the "Play" button? If so, do you, by any chance, already have Dominator in your Custom Mansions folder? On my machine, this causes the error you're seeing when the "Play" button is clicked. Move BOTH Chase the Bots AND Dominator out of your Custom Mansions folder and it should work. (Decorum has a copy of the mansions inside its application bundle, and will move them into your Custom Mansions folder when you press "Play". If they're already there, you get an error.)

As for the rest...well...yeah, you do have to learn how to set it up, and I recognize that this isn't ideal. The whole thing is geared towards mansion developers packaging their mansions inside Decorum and distributing them that way, so the process is not as user-friendly as it would be if I expected "normal" users to do it. The program itself is dead simple to use, but there's that barrier to entry of learning to set it up.

What follows is a long account of how Decorum came to be and why it is as it is. Read on if you're curious.

Decorum actually began life as "Custom Asset Enabler", a program designed to enable developers of scenarios for Ambrosia Software's SketchFighter 4000 Alpha to use their own graphics. I wrote it then because SketchFighter's data files live inside the application's bundle, and the procedure for swapping them out is considerably more involved than it is for Midnight mansion. In fact, it's so onerous that it would be completely unreasonable to expect people to do it.

Unlike with MM, SketchFighter maps with custom assets would be pretty much untenable without a utility that performed the swapping for you, every time you wanted to play. This is where the developer-oriented mindset comes from; I knew that, in that case, mapmakers would need the utility to even consider making maps with custom graphics.

When I began beta testing Dominator for Joeb, I found the file swapping to be quite a headache. I soon realized that I had already solved the problem when I created the Custom Asset Enabler. The program's code only required a few simple changes in order to work with Midnight Mansion. And so Decorum was born.

However, the user/developer landscape was quite different for Midnight Mansion. Users were already accustomed to swapping files, and the barrier was low enough that many developers were requiring it. I guess people were confused by that configuration step that was required of normal users because no developers decided to distribute their mansions in a Decorum wrapper.

If I knew then what I know now, and if I had written Decorum from scratch for MM, I would have done things differently. I would have had a drop well in the GUI for users to drop mansion files and associated data into; this would build a library of mansions with custom graphics that could be swapped in by selecting them from a list and pressing a button.

Of course, that would also have been a lot more work, and the program may never have existed at all had I been that ambitious about it. It certainly will never happen now that its reason for existing has been almost entirely obviated by MM 1.0.8.

In its current form, Decorum provides a rather nice solution for those old mansions that have yet to make the jump to the 1.0.8 format (and for Dominator, which can't). It does just want I want it to do, and I'm satisfied with the way it works. So, when people complain about having to swap files and what a pain it is, I can't help but point out that it's a solved problem, at least in my eyes.

If you have any questions about the set-up process I'd be happy to answer them. It's really not that bad once you know how to do it.

"Fun game: try to post a YouTube comment so stupid that people realize you must be joking.  (Hint: this is impossible)" -Randall Munroe

IP Logged

ryos
Explorer

Colorado, USA

Utah, USA
Reply #24 - 27.01.2008 at 16:34:37

You know, it just occurred to me that I could post decorum-wrapped versions of any mansion, by request, so that nobody has to learn how to do the setup themselves. If you think that would be useful, say the word and I'll do it.

"Fun game: try to post a YouTube comment so stupid that people realize you must be joking.  (Hint: this is impossible)" -Randall Munroe

IP Logged

Toybox
Treasure Hunter

Kiel, Germany
Reply #25 - 27.01.2008 at 19:54:52

ryos wrote on 27.01.2008 at 16:28:17:
@Toybox:
Just launching the app gave you that error? If so, what version of Mac OS X are you running? I've not seen that.

I have OS X 10.3.9. However:

Or did it happen when you clicked the "Play" button? If so, do you, by any chance, already have Dominator in your Custom Mansions folder? On my machine, this causes the error you're seeing when the "Play" button is clicked. Move BOTH Chase the Bots AND Dominator out of your Custom Mansions folder and it should work. (Decorum has a copy of the mansions inside its application bundle, and will move them into your Custom Mansions folder when you press "Play". If they're already there, you get an error.)

Hum, yes, both Chase The Bots and Dominator are still in the Custom Mansion folder  Embarrassed I will try to move them away and tell you what happened.

As for the rest...well...yeah, you do have to learn how to set it up, and I recognize that this isn't ideal. The whole thing is geared towards mansion developers packaging their mansions inside Decorum and distributing them that way, so the process is not as user-friendly as it would be if I expected "normal" users to do it. The program itself is dead simple to use, but there's that barrier to entry of learning to set it up.

Ah, but fiddling with something which is *just a little bit* harder than what you are familiar with is a good way to learn: once I manage to set up Decorum following step-by-step instructions, it will be easier to understand retrospectively the underlying principles of how the installation works.

Moreover, there is the reward of playing that custom mansion afterwards, too! A little bit like cooking an elaborate dish for the first time.

Still, I'll make a safety copy of the MM folder, just in case....  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Toybox
Treasure Hunter

Kiel, Germany
Reply #26 - 27.01.2008 at 20:04:20

Move BOTH Chase the Bots AND Dominator out of your Custom Mansions folder and it should work.

Smiley It worked!

You're a star Cool

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print