Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Who's Where?? (Read 30787 times)
aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Re: Who's Where??
Reply #30 - 09.01.2008 at 20:10:40

Joe,

what strikes me as extremely odd in Radeka is: once you made it through that especially-lethal section (ca. the rooms around / between 9302 - 9504 etc.) you finally arrive back up where you started from (rooms 9101 / 9102) and have gained nothing at all, just lost a LOT of lives.
If you wanted, you could bypass the entire lower section and just go from 9102 into 9101 (as you already have all the red keys needed) and simply spare yourself a lot of trouble.  Wink

Considering how hard that lower section is and how many lives I keep losing there (especially in room 9501) I can't help feeling it's a little pointless....   Undecided   Wink

There should be some reward of some sort, like a key needed later (there is money there of course...but that's counterbalanced by the amount of lives lost) .... 'cause as a simple "fun-to-explore - extra-route" it's just too frustratingly lethal !

Why is a carrot more orange than an orange ?
IP Logged

joeb
Adventurer

Reply #31 - 09.01.2008 at 22:05:20

AHA!!!
That's where the extra doors were supposed to go. See I should have listened to Matt. Good point though! I could go back and retro fit the mansion with the doors and new path that requires going thru the bottom section but I'll just leave it as an explorable part of the mansion. Not like I haven't seen similar instances in other mansions and since so many people have already played and completed it I don't really want to change it plus I promised Freddy that I'd fix some minor issues with some of the old MJ mansions.
Again, there was also a 6-8 month lag in the start to completion of this mansion so all in all I'm surprised it did come out as well as it did. I do appreciate the comment because that has been one of the design issues that I have tried to work into our mansions.
Just as an FYI Matt has already come up with a new mansion that will be a radical departure from the norm in the vein of Dominator, so there will be a lull in MJ mansions for a couple of months as I prepare the new artwork. During that time I may go back and add some more to Radeka, there was a whole other section that Matt wanted to add that I nixed.

Thanks again for the comments!

Joe B

IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #32 - 10.01.2008 at 20:33:47

Wow, that sounds very interesting !!

Why is a carrot more orange than an orange ?
IP Logged

joeb
Adventurer

Reply #33 - 10.01.2008 at 21:43:43

Oh, by the way, it's terrestrial not space based
Wink

jb

IP Logged

Scout
Wanderer

Reply #34 - 11.01.2008 at 10:42:58

Thanks for another intriquing mansion, Joe and Matt! It's been great fun (although your ears may have been burning at a few points). Please let Matt know how much I like the name, too.
I only got 30% secrets, so it's back to the beginning for me, I think.
And yikes - some of those spiders are particularly agile...Great fun though, thanks so much.

IP Logged

ryos
Explorer

Colorado, USA

Utah, USA
Reply #35 - 26.01.2008 at 15:26:05

Fourth save pedestal here. I got all the way to the snowy mountain with the three purple doors, only to realize, oh crap! I missed a purple key! So, back down I went, and as I went, I lost my last life. Sad

In general it's been great. A nice challenge in spots, but always with plenty of lives (provided you don't have to backtrack through a quarter of the mansion...Sad I feel like this is something that, in general, should be designed around whenever possible. A technique that I've seen that I like is designing in "blocks", where you have nonlinear sections of moderate size that must be completed before moving on to the next section, thus minimizing backtracking if you happen to miss a key. That, or just always putting the keys a bit closer to the doors.)

I really liked the background effects, with "time" passing. Backgrounds are generally what I like least in MM (why do they always look so awful?), but yours here are generally quite good.

I was going to report a bunch of stuff, but none of my screenshots took (???) so I can't remember any of it! Sorry. Sad

Can't wait to finish this one. It's been a long time since I really played MM, and it took me a bit to get back into the groove, but this mansion is reminding me of why I love this game.

P.S. The name "Radeka" reminds me of the Spanish word "radica", which is a conjugated form of the verb "radicar", meaning "to base in/on", generally in reference to ideas or ideologies. So, if I were to build a mansion using Radeka's graphics, I could say, "La mansión se radica en Radeka." Cheesy

"Fun game: try to post a YouTube comment so stupid that people realize you must be joking.  (Hint: this is impossible)" -Randall Munroe

IP Logged

Lara
Explorer

Lewisham, England
Reply #36 - 29.01.2008 at 05:09:14

Hmm? I only found/used three save points, and finished with 80% secrets and the red and yellow keys you mentioned.

Is that good?

x

WWW Lara  
IP Logged

ryos
Explorer

Colorado, USA

Utah, USA
Reply #37 - 30.01.2008 at 12:53:34

Aaaand I finished it. I was too slow with the screenshot (this MBP is faster than my G4, even running the game in Rosetta), but I got 80% secrets, 60K-ish gold, and took over 70 minutes.

Turns out that the place I thought the purple key I missed was really just a huge pointless detour. It was also the most difficult part of the mansion.  Angry

But, I found the key that I'd missed (embarrassingly close to the top), and finished in short order.

@Lara:
The save pedestal that you missed was likely near the the beginning, at the start of a vertical dead end. There's not much point in visiting it, unless you want to get all of the gold. Wink

Another nice mansion from M&J!

"Fun game: try to post a YouTube comment so stupid that people realize you must be joking.  (Hint: this is impossible)" -Randall Munroe

IP Logged

Lara
Explorer

Lewisham, England
Reply #38 - 30.01.2008 at 18:15:05

ryos wrote on 30.01.2008 at 12:53:34:
@Lara:
The save pedestal that you missed was likely near the the beginning, at the start of a vertical dead end. There's not much point in visiting it, unless you want to get all of the gold. Wink

Hey Ryos,

I think that was a room with a rising brick that has a hidden wall in the top right corner, I found that and got the gold. I just don't remember the save pedestal.

Currently playing 'Questing for the Rainbow Key'.  Smiley

WWW Lara  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print