Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Dr Tronic's zoo (Read 30212 times)
Missy
Treasure Hunter

Toronto, Canada
Re: Dr Tronic's zoo
Reply #10 - 29.12.2014 at 08:25:54

brell wrote on 29.12.2014 at 06:56:23:
The MM HD Custom Mansions folder must be inside the MM HD folder.

Also, the Dr. Tronic Zoo normal folder is one level too deep.  You are not supposed to have Dr. Tronic Zoo normal folder inside of another Dr. T.Z. normal folder.

Brell, I have no idea how to make the changes that you are talking about bcos
this is the way my system has been set up from day one and I have never had
any problems with it.  Even when I trash all MM files and re-download the original MM game, play all the mansions so that it unlocks the custom mansions for me,
this set up always appears automatically.

I think that this particular mansion must have some sort of setting in the save area that prevents it from opening.  Could someone just check out the save
settings in this custom mansion.  Perhaps an error was made when it was
transformed into a HD game and no one has played it since and now that I
am playing it, this mistake is coming to light.

In the past, MM use to show up in my Applications folder.  Now days, it just
shows up in my Downloads folder and I chose to leave it there. 

Now, bcos of you, I am trying to move things around, I moved the MM HD game to the Applications folder and now I can't put it back into downloads. 
My ENTIRE MM HD game is not working now!!!  I should have left the MM HD
game where it automatically placed itself, in my Download folder and I should
have left it there.  Now I have to trash EVERYTHING and start playing
Vern's games all over again so that I can unlock the custom mansions! Shoot!

I am operating a Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks.  Maybe this is why MM no longer
appears in the Application Folder.  I just trashed EVERYTHING and re-downloaded
the MM HD game and again, it only appears in my Downloads folder with
NO Custom Mansion Folder.

See pic below:

Before the move mentioned above I tried to put the MM HD Custom Mansions folder into the MM HD, the one with the little man, that Vern created and sold to us, but it won't go into it and there is NO other MM HD folder that you are
talking about.

« Last Edit: 29.12.2014 at 11:05:24 by Missy »  

Missy

IP Logged

Missy
Treasure Hunter

Toronto, Canada
Reply #11 - 29.12.2014 at 08:50:40

I just downloaded the MM HD game again and when I clicked on Open Mansion
I got this pop up, see below pic.

And if I don't move the custom game into this folder, which creates the 3 deep
you were talking about, the custom mansion does not play if it's only left
in the Download folder, where it's only 2 deep as you say it should be.

It looks like I don't have to play all the mansions in the MM (Vern's) game
to access the custom mansions.  Whew!

Like I said before, I think that someone made an error in the game itself
when converting it into HD.  Please have someone check the "save" settings
in the mansion level builder.

« Last Edit: 29.12.2014 at 11:06:16 by Missy »  

Missy

IP Logged

josephine
Adventurer

California
Reply #12 - 29.12.2014 at 16:37:07

I figured out what's going on. Did a fresh download of both DTZs, and upon unzipping it creates a folder with a readme and another zip file. If you unzip this 2nd one you get the folder with all the subfolders of game data ('BGND' etc.) Moved this folder into MMHD Custom Mansions and all works fine.

IP Logged

Missy
Treasure Hunter

Toronto, Canada
Reply #13 - 29.12.2014 at 16:46:56

josephine wrote on 29.12.2014 at 16:37:07:
I figured out what's going on. Did a fresh download of both DTZs, and upon unzipping it creates a folder with a readme and another zip file. If you unzip this 2nd one you get the folder with all the subfolders of game data ('BGND' etc.) Moved this folder into MMHD Custom Mansions and all works fine.

Hi Josephine,   Thank you for trying to help.  But the zip and the subfolders
are in the MM HD Custom Mansion folder to begin with. 

Moving it to the 1st window makes no difference.  Yes the game will play whether you moved it to the main folder or left it in the sub folder.  It's the "save pedestal" that is the problem.  The game saves but it will not open when I am ready to play it at another time.

Missy

IP Logged

brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Reply #14 - 29.12.2014 at 18:54:53

Missy, the MM HD folder and all of it's subfolders must be within the Applications folder.  Otherwise you will eventually run into problems.

Now, the "Midnight Mansion HD Custom Mansions" folder is not created when you download the game from the App store.  You must create it yourself inside the "Midnight Mansion HD" folder which is inside the Application folder.  Then you must drag the custom mansions folder from downloads to the MM HD CM folder.

And, Josephine is right.  Some of the HD custom mansions were uploaded to the forums in such a way that when you unzip the file, you'll get a folder with a readme and another zip file.  Unzip the 2nd one and you'll get the CM folder with all it's subfolders.  Drag this subfolder into the MM HD CM folder.  This should work.

Below is a screenshot of the folder layout in my computer. The "Midnight M...m Mansions" is my MM HD CM folder.

A stuck Jack is better than no jack

IP Logged

Missy
Treasure Hunter

Toronto, Canada
Reply #15 - 29.12.2014 at 19:12:11

Brell, I cannot say it plainer.  When I download the MM HD game from Action Soft,
it does NOT provide a MM HD folder.  The game downloads in a zip format then I
click on it and Vern's MM game appears.  There is no separate MM HD folder
as it appears in the pic you provided.  AND THE GAME DOES NOT WORK IF I MOVE IT TO THE APPLICATIONS FOLDER.

If I want to create a MM HD Custom Mansion folder, I then have to open the
MM HD Vern's game and click on Open Mansion, then a pop up appears asking me if I want the Custom Mansion folder to
appear be stored in the same place the MM game is stored.  I click yes and the
below pic is what I end up with. 

I AM OPERATING WITH A 10.9 MAVERICKS PROGRAM.  MAYBE THAT'S WHY
YOURS, JOSEPHINE'S AND MINE ARE DIFFERENT???

The left column IS my download folder.  I made a "download sub folder" within
the download column on the left, so as to store my more permanent downloads.
The left column is full of things that I delete and I don't want to accidentally delete things of importance.  Perhaps that is what is confusing you?   Either way,
the MM game is in the download folder, only it's a sub folder within the download
folder.  But there is no separate MM HD FOLDER as you have in your pic.

Missy

IP Logged

josephine
Adventurer

California
Reply #16 - 29.12.2014 at 19:37:27

Hi Missy- maybe your saved game is going into the wrong folder. It should be:

hard drive > Users > whatever the account's user name is > Library > Application Support > ActionSoft > Midnight Mansion > Saved Games > whatever the game's user name is > Doctor Tronic's Zoo.

Try trashing the prefs file too, maybe there's something wonky going on. (Same path as above but ActionSoft > Midnight Mansion > Midnight Mansion HD Prefs.)

IP Logged

Missy
Treasure Hunter

Toronto, Canada
Reply #17 - 29.12.2014 at 20:03:19

josephine wrote on 29.12.2014 at 19:37:27:
Hi Missy- maybe your saved game is going into the wrong folder. It should be:

hard drive > Users > whatever the account's user name is > Library > Application Support > ActionSoft > Midnight Mansion > Saved Games > whatever the game's user name is > Doctor Tronic's Zoo.

Try trashing the prefs file too, maybe there's something wonky going on. (Same path as above but ActionSoft > Midnight Mansion > Midnight Mansion HD Prefs.)

Keep in mind, I am operating a 10.9 Mavericks platform.

If I follow your instructions, starting with Finder/Hard Drive/ etc., there is
is nothing to do with MM after I click on Application.

Perhaps you meant that I should click on Finder/whatever the account user name is/Library etc.  then yes, the trail leads to Action Soft/MM/ etc.  (I had to use my
Easy Find to locate this info)

Thank you for this lead.  I forgot to trash there as well.  I will use Easy Find to
locate ALL MM folders and trash them too.  You're right, maybe that's what's causing the problems. 

Anyway, the MM game does not load into my Finder/Applications folder like it use to.  It only goes to the downloads folder and I have to play it from there.  Any idea as to why?

Edit:  I just took a pic of the trail from Finder/my user account name.
My question is, other than deleting the Midnight Mansion HD Prefs folder as you suggested, pls look at the pic and tell me what else I should delete in order to
re-download the MM HD (Vern's game) again.   Pls note that there are license folders too, should I delete everything to do with MM???  If yes, won't that cause a lot of problems for me when I try to re-download the game from scratch?

Missy

IP Logged

Missy
Treasure Hunter

Toronto, Canada
Reply #18 - 29.12.2014 at 20:48:21

Hi Josephine,

I posted a reply to you but I had to edit it a few times, now I'm not sure if
you got the newer reply?  Please look at it and respond.  Thank you.

Missy

IP Logged

josephine
Adventurer

California
Reply #19 - 30.12.2014 at 12:50:03

Hi Missy- I'm not on Mavericks, so just to make sure I have this clear:

Quote:
... starting with Finder/Hard Drive/ etc., there is
is nothing to do with MM after I click on Application.

You're sure you're going to "Application Support" and NOT "Applications?" (Your screenshot looks correct though.)

Quote:
It only goes to the downloads folder and I have to play it from there.

Can you manually move the DTZ mansion folder (with all the weirdly named subfolders) to the CM folder and have it play OK? If not, try moving the  downloaded  zip to the CM folder. Then unzip (you'll get a new folder called Doctor Tronics Zoo with a readme and a new zip file), move the new zip file up to the CM folder, and delete the old zip file and folder. Unzip the new file- you'll get the folder with the weird subfolders- and then move that folder up a level to the CM folder, and delete the folder it was in.

Quote:
...there are license folders too, should I delete everything to do with MM???

Keep the licenses, that wouldn't mess up your saved games. Just delete the "Midnight Mansion HD Prefs" file.

Also- are there any saved games in that Saved Games folder? Do a search and see if Mavericks is putting DTZ saved games somewhere else. If so, manually move them to the Saved Games folder and try to play.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print