Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
A Tale of One City: Playing without custom graphics (Read 12914 times)
frost
Wanderer

Bremen
A Tale of One City: Playing without custom graphics
23.08.2008 at 11:41:43

Hi,

I started playing this mansion without the custom graphics and some weird things happend but only in MM version 1.1.3
No problem with previous versions.

Now to the weird stuff:
The room design of the rooms adds up.

To show you what happend I took some screenshots.

First the starting room.
If I play it in MM version 1.1.2 the background is only stars. Btw in that verson the stars - background will be in every room.
« Last Edit: 27.12.2009 at 21:19:11 by Freddy »  

IP Logged

frost
Wanderer

Bremen
Re: Playing without custom graphics
Reply #1 - 23.08.2008 at 11:44:30

Here is a pic of the second room:

2nd_room.jpg (103 KB | )
2nd_room.jpg

IP Logged

frost
Wanderer

Bremen
Reply #2 - 23.08.2008 at 11:48:14

Back to room number 1

1st_ret.png (186 KB | )
1st_ret.png

IP Logged

frost
Wanderer

Bremen
Reply #3 - 23.08.2008 at 11:54:50

And room number 3

3rd_room.jpg (109 KB | )
3rd_room.jpg

IP Logged

frost
Wanderer

Bremen
Reply #4 - 23.08.2008 at 11:59:39

I think these examples will show the problem.

I don't know how this can happen.
I've tried two other CMs with custom graphics without using them - no problem.
So far it is only this mansion and as I mentioned only in MM version 1.1.3

My Mac is an old tiny lady  Wink
iMac 700
May be it's because of that.
May be it's a bug in version 1.1.3
May be something is wrong with Freddies datas - I don't know.

As I said it is weird.

By the way, Freddy, great tough mansion of yours. Haven't made it through jet, but I'm on it  Smiley

greetings to you all

IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #5 - 23.08.2008 at 14:24:06

Smiley Hello frost! Nice to know that you are still around. And playing
A Tale of One City

Now, there is nothing to worry about. Since the time I did the betatesting of SandyBean's
Immortal Ruins
, I know 'everything' about this feature. To say something: I am pretty sure that you have a 'toing'-sound as well when Jack moves from one room to an other.

Before explaining what is going on, I want to thank you to bring this issue on the boards, because it brings me to give an important message to all MMF-guests and -members.

When a custom mansion has customized graphics, you are obliged to use them. Adding them is NOT optional!

Okay. The original Screens-folder contains 7 backgrounds numbered from 1 to 7. In e.g. ATo1C I added 4 new backgrounds: no. 8 to 11. Now, when Jack enters a room where I linked one of the new backgrounds to, the MM-game can't find it and then the game chooses (randomly?) one of the backgrounds 1 to 7. And then you get those weird rooms like you showed in your posts.

If you want to, you can go to that original Screens-folder and double-click on the 7 backgroundfiles. You will surely recognize the pictures that you encountered.

IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #6 - 23.08.2008 at 14:36:59

Huh Oops. Forgot to say something about the difference between 1.1.3 and later vs. 1.1.2 and older.

Only since version 1.1.3 the game is able to find customized data (e.g. backgrounds) automatically. So that is why the newest versions give even more problems.

IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #7 - 23.08.2008 at 18:22:27

Hi Freddy,

that definitely explains why Frost has the trouble with the backgrounds.

But does it also explain her trouble with several rooms' elements "adding up" to other rooms ??

Do you believe that is also due to the fact that she didn't use your custom graphics and/or the computer couldn't find the custom graphics?

I tend to think it could also have to do with the fact that she plays a CM constructed with version 1.1.4  using an earlier version of the game (1.1.2 or 1.1.3).
And the "background-issue" comes on top of that.....

Why is a carrot more orange than an orange ?
IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #8 - 23.08.2008 at 21:23:56

Well. I am still building and playing with version 1.1.3. So it has nothing to do with the latest version 1.1.4.

I believe that it has to do with what I briefly said. Version 1.1.2 and earlier do NOT work automatically. So those versions do NOT care about missing any backgrounds. They only take an other not supposed one.

But with the versions 1.1.3 and 1.1.4 I don't know. However, I can imagine that when things get atomatically linked, the weirdest things can happen when some files don't be found. Undecided

IP Logged

frost
Wanderer

Bremen
Reply #9 - 24.08.2008 at 00:57:10

Hi Freddy,

like AquMat said, I meant this adding up of the room elements, not the strange background. I'm used to that when playing without custom graphics.
The complete room interieur of the previous room turns into background in the next room and is adding up the more rooms you play.
You should try that, it's really a challenge playing under these circumstances Grin

And as I said, it only happens with your mansion so far. The other mansions with custom graphics I tried, without using the graphics don't show this problem.

@AquaMat
I just tried version 1.1.4 - same issue.

greetings

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print