Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
A few hints (Read 19848 times)
leo
Wanderer

A few hints
12.10.2008 at 23:52:06

Hi everybody!

Thanks for downloading Palais Pompomrouge!

This is a hard mansion. This might sometimes even be a frustrating mansion. Because although you can find immense amounts of gold, you can also reach spots where you have to try 35 times before you get across that laser-beam or accomplish that crazy jump. Don't give up!

I have an easier version of the same mansion on my computer. But I will only send it in for release if too many players feel like they want to break something because of frustration  Grin

Palais Pompomrouge has the biggest part of the gold hidden away in secret areas. These secrets are never indicated by cracks in the wall but by other stuff (and sometimes not at all, so you have to get lucky or check for hidden ladders and stuff every step). So you will have to pay attention every second. Rule of thumb: Whenever there is a bit of excess wall or something that breaks the pattern or something that is there for no apparent reason you should become suspicious.

Everybody should at least give the hard version a try because - as I said - there's lots and lots of gold to be found and you don't just want to stroll through the rooms, cashing in all the dough without having the satisfaction of beating a hard mansion.

Well, I hope you all have a bit of fun playing this mansion. In the meantime I'll be working on the sequel "Jacques' Revenge", which probably will be easier than Palais Pomponrouge.

IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Re: A few hints
Reply #1 - 13.10.2008 at 23:04:46

Leo,

I really like PP so far, especially the visual side of it. It looks great.

But even as a very experienced player, and one who likes constructing pretty hard mansions himself, I feel it can be a bit frustrating when you have to replay again and again because you run out of lives (= money) long before the save pedestal.
I guess you are aware of this danger..... even the most beautiful section can get a bit repetitive when you have to replay it time and again.
That is especially true if there are longer "marches" .... and Jack has to do a lot of walking in the first 10 rooms of PP.

I never made it to the first save yet....

As good and innovative as your idea sounds on paper, in practice I think it could help a lot, if you either handed out a little more money along the way....or add a few saves.
Alternatively.... if you'd like to keep closer to the "hardly any extra money along the way, only in secret places - concept", you could give Jack simply more lives from the start (by putting a lot of money bags in the starting room) !!

Nevertheless...I like it a lot.... and I won't give up yet !!   Wink

I'm looking forward to see the rest of the mansion....

Why is a carrot more orange than an orange ?
IP Logged

leo
Wanderer

Reply #2 - 14.10.2008 at 05:21:53

I'm sorry!  Undecided

I guess I got carried away by the concept. I'll think of something for the update, either more money from the start or more safe-points.

IP Logged

Olle the Greatest
Adventurer

Sweden
Reply #3 - 14.10.2008 at 14:47:16

I can agree in some of the critique, but I think it's just the beginning that's a bit tedious [but beautiful Smiley]
Once I got past the first save, I never thought about it again but just enjoyed the playing as well as the design Smiley

"How come things that happen to stupid people keep happening to me?"
IP Logged

leo
Wanderer

Reply #4 - 14.10.2008 at 15:31:15

Wow Olle!
Did you already make it through?
If so, can you tell me how many secrets you found? Or at least if you thought they were easy or hard to find?

IP Logged

Olle the Greatest
Adventurer

Sweden
Reply #5 - 14.10.2008 at 16:00:07

not through yet, still trying to calm down from that silver coin hoax at the red door... Smiley

IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #6 - 15.10.2008 at 01:43:38

That's reassuring....maybe it really gets "less nerve-wracking" after the 1st save....    Wink    Huh

Why is a carrot more orange than an orange ?
IP Logged

Semi-Native
YaBB Administrator

Orlando, FL  USA
Reply #7 - 15.10.2008 at 02:35:18

Well, it took me 4 or 5 attempts to make it to Save 1, then it got easier for a while. After Save 6 it gets REALLY hard, so be prepared. That's where I'm sitting right now.

Great mansion, though, I really love it. But some more save pedestals or money to give Jack extra lives would be very beneficial, I think, to keep people from getting discouraged.

The design is outstanding, very beautiful.

IP Logged

Olle the Greatest
Adventurer

Sweden
Reply #8 - 15.10.2008 at 04:07:50

I'm only at the fifth save... going to bed now... with my macBook... to finish this mansion... Smiley

Found that one could fall all the way from room 15903 to 17103 and hit the vine, climb down and get the green key and continue without having to go through all of the monsters... but then I'd miss a lot of gold, too Smiley

IP Logged

iRock
Wanderer

Pacific NW Washington State
Reply #9 - 15.10.2008 at 09:14:56

You guys must be genius or something. I have been through the first part over a dozen times and cannot get near the first save at all. It is a beautiful mansion though.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print