Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
GraphicConverter (Read 12808 times)
josephine
Adventurer

California
GraphicConverter
14.05.2009 at 12:59:17

Hi all- does anybody have experience using GraphicConverter? I can use it to access and modify graphics in the MM Sprites file (like changing a brick color.) But the saved changes don't show up in resource file. GC also lets me add/replace graphics to the file but those don't show up in the mansion builder either. Any ideas?

(Forgive my naive questions, I've read all the readme's and joeb's excellent tutorial but I'm still not sure if I need a resource editor with GC.)

Thanks!

IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Re: GraphicConverter
Reply #1 - 14.05.2009 at 19:34:04

Hi Josephine,

I have no experience using "Graphic Converter" (even though I have the software, I have never used it), however I do use other applications to change sprites or tiles in MM.

First of all you should use a Resource editor, I feel that "Rezilla" works best (as far as MM goes), but even Rezilla has its fair share of bugs.....

Usually I first open the resource file of the tile / brick / sprite etc. I want to change, using/opening the files "Midnight Mansion Graphics" or "Midnight Mansion Sprites" in Rezilla.
Then I open the image of said resource - say a blue floor switch - (within Rezilla) and copy the image into Photoshop (for example).

There I can change the image to my taste and maybe save it under a new name. When I'm finished I copy the (changed) pic again.

Back in Rezilla I open the file ________ (your mansion name), and once it is opened I "Create a new Res", make it a "PICT" resource and give it the same res ID (number) as the original tile / sprite I have changed (in our case: the orig. blue floor switch). An empty resource field opens.....with cmd-V I paste my (copied) new picture into the field, hit save and close it.

Voilà:  Within my custom-mansion's resource now resides a new custom graphic "PICT" res file which afterwards automatically shows up in the Mansion Level Editor, and - ultimately - within the game, whenever I play the new custom mansion.

I hope that helps ?

Why is a carrot more orange than an orange ?
IP Logged

josephine
Adventurer

California
Reply #2 - 16.05.2009 at 13:21:54

Thanks aquamat!

I was hoping to just use Graphic Converter since I'm only making simple changes, like colors not ID's. It looks like I will have to learn ResEdit  Tongue

Oh well, Graphic Converter is ok (and free) but not nearly as good as Photoshop.

IP Logged

Olle the Greatest
Adventurer

Sweden
Reply #3 - 16.05.2009 at 19:13:30

aquaMat wrote on 14.05.2009 at 19:34:04:
Back in Rezilla I open the file ________ (your mansion name),

Perhaps the mistake is to change the image in the Sprites file and not in the [as aquamat points out] mansion file?

"How come things that happen to stupid people keep happening to me?"
IP Logged

josephine
Adventurer

California
Reply #4 - 17.05.2009 at 17:23:09

Thanks Olle. (I'm not exactly sure how I did this but...) with a combination of GC, ResEdit/Classic and Photoshop my new brick appeared in the mansion builder and the custom mansion.

Once.

After making another change to the new brick and reimporting it, it disappeared  Angry

Anyway, now that I have a better idea of the steps, I'm going to start over with all new files. Wish me luck!

IP Logged

SandyBean
Adventurer

Deroche,BC,Canada
Reply #5 - 18.05.2009 at 10:03:00

Hi Josephine,

I'm going to wish you luck too, cause whatever you three are talking about, it sounds like Greek to me!!!  (And I have built one mansion, and have one half finished for the new, improved mansion builder when the Expanded MM is released), and still have not got a clue of the advanced stuff and other programs you guys are talking about and using with obvious ease!

My Kudos to you guys for being so inventive and resourceful !!!
 Smiley

Thanks for sharing your mansions made with all you guys' hard work with our MM world !

SandyBean Smiley

IP Logged

brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Reply #6 - 18.05.2009 at 19:24:23

Josephine, are you doind the changes in the classic environment?  Perhaps it is causing a problem?  You could try Rezilla instead of ResEdit.

A stuck Jack is better than no jack

IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #7 - 18.05.2009 at 23:02:04

I would guess so too.

As I said above, I feel that Rezilla works better for MM than ResEdit anyway.... and I didn't even take the "Classic issue" into account.

But considering this you're almost beggin' for troubles!   Wink

As far as PICT resources go....the good thing about Rezilla is that "what you see is what you get".
But beware: after having changed a PICT res and copied it into a Rezilla res ID window you should hit SAVE immediately and once more after closing the ID window....and then it still happens sometimes that the new PICT has disappeared when you reopen the same PICT res window.
This is one of the major bugs in Rezilla, that I mentioned above.

So after including several new PICT resources you should always re-check ALL of them at least once to make sure they are still there !

Why is a carrot more orange than an orange ?
IP Logged

josephine
Adventurer

California
Reply #8 - 19.05.2009 at 10:52:42

Thanks guys. I've been making the graphics changes in OSX but using ResEdit in Classic mode to make a new resource and ID's (mostly because ResEdit was already on my computer.) I downloaded Rezilla, will give it a try.

SandyBean- Immortal Ruins was good, you should do another mansion (nudge nudge  Wink  Grin ) Smooch the horses for me!

IP Logged

josephine
Adventurer

California
Reply #9 - 21.05.2009 at 18:44:11

OK, Rezilla seems to work when modifying a brick (say, changing the original blue brick to dark blue.) And like you said aquaMat, sometimes the "saved" PICTs disappear. But I'm not having any luck adding a new brick. The new brick appears in the MM Sprites file when I open it in Rezilla but not in the mansion builder (like the resource map isn't seeing it or something. I have only a vague understanding of forks and stuff. Can you tell I'm not a programmer?  Cheesy )

This is what I did:

Open MM Sprites file in Rezilla> copy blue brick> quit> open Photoshop> new file, paste, change brick to dark blue> save, copy, quit> open MM Sprites in Rezilla> new resource> type PICT and give it an ID that's not already taken (in this case 202)> new window opens, paste dark blue brick> SAVE> save again just for fun> close window> save and quit. Open MM Sprites in Rezilla again, new brick is there, quit. Open mansion builder but there's no new brick.

It's probably not a big deal, as long as my custom mansion doesn't need lots of different bricks. But I hate being limited   Wink

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print