Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
MM on iPhone (Read 12902 times)
VernJensen
YaBB Administrator

Los Angeles, CA
MM on iPhone
13.08.2009 at 04:59:14

An Apple employee was just telling me today of another developer -- I probably shouldn't say who -- whose worse-selling iPhone app sells 500-1000 units a day. A DAY. What the heck?! Granted, it's only 99 cents, but that's still around 375 dollars or more a day after Apple gets its cut. Holy cow.

Makes me wonder if I should look into porting Midnight Mansion to the iPhone. The iPhone has half the resolution of Midnight Mansion's current resolution, so it would probably look just great on the iPhone. And unlike my latest game Insectoid, which requires a 1.2 GHz computer or faster to run (and even then barely makes it), Midnight Mansion's system requirements are much lighter... the game would perform just fine on the iPhone.

I'm not sure what would be involved in porting it... how much work it would be... but I'm starting to wonder about it, having heard of those crazy sales figures. Of course, not all iPhone games are a success -- some have barely made the author $500 in return, but Midnight Mansion could really fill a niche in that market.

The only question is if it makes *sense*, given the controls.... up, down, left, right, jump, and action... how would that translate to the iPhone? I could superimpose a control pad over the screen, but I'm not sure if that would work well. Or have players tilt left/right/up/down to move Jack, and jolt the iPhone up real quick to make him Jump. Maybe tap the screen for action. OR maybe touch the screen to Jack's left or right to make him walk in that direction... he walks/climbs towards your touch. Maybe one of those would work... hard to know without trying it though.

Thoughts?

-Vern

IP Logged

Missy
Treasure Hunter

Toronto, Canada
Re: MM on iPhone
Reply #1 - 13.08.2009 at 05:14:43

Hey there Vern......

I'm so glad to see that you are looking at getting your MM out there.  I know you have been trying,  It looks like the business bug has finally bit you....lolololol   Long over due. 

I wish I was tekkie enough to help you, since I am not, all I can offer is moral support. 

Did you ever get MM on youtube for more exposure?

Missy

IP Logged

Anthony
YaBB Administrator

Nova Scotia, Canada

Canada
Reply #2 - 14.08.2009 at 10:17:10

Wow Vern, I don't know were you come up with these ideas, but that idea is fantastic! I've played emulators of Gameboy Advanced with a little gameplay interface button on the touch screen, and oh man, MM on the go and stuff would be awesome. You should definitely look into this after the Expansion is out, unless you have another project in mind.

P.S. You're not considering iPod Nano/Class with just the wheel, right? You'd run out of buttonz =p

Anthony Duchesne ~ Original designer of Castle Basano, Leofani Manor and Jasperlone Mountains
Anthony AnthonyDuch http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=590111070  
IP Logged

sherryl199
Explorer

Wilmington, NC USA
Reply #3 - 16.08.2009 at 07:17:36

Hi Vern -
MM on iPhone - then the iPhone would be perfect (+ Google Voice!)!
Two iPhone games that might give you ideas are "Shift" and Rope 'n Fly.
Sherry

"There are three kinds of people in the world - those who are good at math, and those who are not"

IP Logged

Anthony
YaBB Administrator

Nova Scotia, Canada

Canada
Reply #4 - 16.08.2009 at 07:50:16

I want... an iPhone... (8) I just recently got my nano but thats ok, music videos and photos are just fine for me in my pocket.

What's google voice?

Anthony Duchesne ~ Original designer of Castle Basano, Leofani Manor and Jasperlone Mountains
Anthony AnthonyDuch http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=590111070  
IP Logged

sherryl199
Explorer

Wilmington, NC USA
Reply #5 - 17.08.2009 at 09:31:43

Google Voice (GV) is an application from Google where you get a phone number that you choose in your area code (if you wish). You can then list up to 6 phones that will ring when that one number is called - plus it does a lot of other really cool things. You can sign up for an invitation to join. At this time it is available in the US only. Anyway, there was an app on the iTunes app store for GV that AT&T made Apple pull because AT&T said it was in competition - even though there are plenty of other apps out there that do similar things. It is a big controversy and "Big Brother" is looking into it. Check it out on Safari. I have it, and it's great - especially in an emergency. It also makes it unnecessary to call forward - just add the new number to your list of numbers called by that central number.

"There are three kinds of people in the world - those who are good at math, and those who are not"

IP Logged

Alan Falcon
Wanderer

Vegas, baby
Reply #6 - 06.11.2009 at 00:21:48

VernJensen wrote on 13.08.2009 at 04:59:14:
An Apple employee was just telling me today of another developer The only question is if it makes *sense*, given the controls.... up, down, left, right, jump, and action... how would that translate to the iPhone? I could superimpose a control pad over the screen, but I'm not sure if that would work well. Or have players tilt left/right/up/down to move Jack, and jolt the iPhone up real quick to make him Jump. ... Thoughts?

-Vern

If you want Tilt Controls as an option, I'm all for it.  But not as the only option for controlling Jack.  It's far too imprecise for me.

I've been mulling a control scheme, and think using touch regions (fully explained, with graphical buttons, of course) could work well.  To start, I made this super quick example of playing the game in portrait mode *attached*.  The advantage is that you get to see the whole playing field without covering it with controls, but the disadvantage is that the screen gets shrunk down probably too much.  The play field here is 1/2 MM's size, so it is 320x240.  And the iPhone's screen ha a high resolution so that makes the physical size very small.    I also haven't worked out how to distinguish between 'up' and 'jump' - you could use a gesture, but then things start to get VERY complicated.  The yellowish regions are the "easy mode" jump left and jump right.  I think you'll need those for the game to work on the iPhone.  The purple/pink regions move Jack left/right, the red region is duck/climb down, and the green region is for jump/climb up.  While at the base of a ladder or on a ladder or vine, the region moves Jack up.  To jump off a vine, you have to use the yellow regions.  

The area above the play field is for Jack Lives, Inventory, Score, and could all function as a large pause button which allows you to go to maps, or suspend game, or abort game.  The maps would be fantastic using iPhone native pinch to zoom techniques.  

Anyway, I think the winning solution involves playing MM in landscape mode, not portrait mode, so this is all moot -- but maybe it is interesting fodder for conversation or further development.

-------> Original Designer of 'Falcon Manor', 'Chateau de Medusa'
-------> Now making iPhone games at FalconEmpire.com
IP Logged

Alan Falcon
Wanderer

Vegas, baby
Reply #7 - 06.11.2009 at 00:26:31

One further note... imagine you're running to the right, and the spider approaches.  Just flick your finger up and you'll enter the "jump right" region and Jack will jump over the spider.  You move your finger back down where it was and when Jack lands, he continues moving right.  This part seems very natural to me.  In fact, the most awkward part might be jumping straight up, or climbing.

Anyway, share your thoughts, please!!  Wink

-------> Original Designer of 'Falcon Manor', 'Chateau de Medusa'
-------> Now making iPhone games at FalconEmpire.com
IP Logged

josephine
Adventurer

California
Reply #8 - 06.11.2009 at 04:43:48

Spider: Secret of Bryce Manor has controls sort of like Alan described- you "draw" with your finger where you want the spider to jump:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2MaK-shoqU

Maybe something like that with a combination of tap commands for levers, etc?

IP Logged

sherryl199
Explorer

Wilmington, NC USA
Reply #9 - 06.11.2009 at 07:14:27

Alan - have you looked at "Shift"? Don't know if it could be applicable, but it does add another option, possibly from room to room or level to level. "Rope N Fly" has some interesting jump/touch moves. 'Tapping' would be easy for lever pulls - too bad the phone doesn't recognize one or two finger tapping.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print