Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Snow Leopard? (Read 19103 times)
CowboyOnAMac
Lost One

Re: Snow Leopard?
Reply #10 - 21.10.2009 at 02:59:32

I got a brand spankin' new MacBook Pro at the end of August. Three days later Apple sent me a Snow Leopard upgrade disc and I installed it.

MM works just fine under Snow Leopard but... (and this is a biggie for me)

The Mansion Builder application is nothing but trouble now.

Every time I tried to use it (I've stopped for now) I would open a room. I can draw everything I want, but as soon as I try to set room or mansion options or save the room, OS X shuts down almost completely. What happens is it goes to the aqua blue screen, and the back to the login window. It doesn't fully reboot, but every app that was open is shut down abruptly, and I have to log back in and reopen anything I was running.
This entire system is only two months old, aside from Office and Adobe Creative Suite Which I need for work, iLife and MM are all I have on it. Undecided

IP Logged

Anthony
YaBB Administrator

Nova Scotia, Canada

Canada
Reply #11 - 21.10.2009 at 03:27:43

Midnight Mansion is working fine if you're using the Intel version, correct? Not the PPC one.

The Builder doesn't have an Intel Version, its just a old Mac OS X App.

The way to make older OS X applications work you'd need Rosetta. There are two ways of obtaining this:

1. Install it off your Snow Leopard disc with the optional installs.
2. If you try launching a PPC application and it will ask you to download it.

Now it looks like the Builder app might not be too too old for it to not run at all, and the computer thinks it could run it, so it sortof works.

Install Rosetta by launching an older Application or from the disc, and I hope it will work. I did that and haven't run in to any problems with any applications yet.

(Try launching the PPC version of the game and see if that will launch or ask you to install Rosetta. It might just sortof run like the builder.)

For more information on Rosetta and Snow Leopard, check out:http://www.mariasguides.com/2009/09/02/snow-leopard-and-rosetta/

Anthony Duchesne ~ Original designer of Castle Basano, Leofani Manor and Jasperlone Mountains
Anthony AnthonyDuch http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=590111070  
IP Logged

VernJensen
YaBB Administrator

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #12 - 21.10.2009 at 03:43:54

Both Midnight Mansion and the Level Builder are PPC apps. The "Intel" version merely runs better under Rosetta than the PPC version. But both are old PPC code.

That's a bummer to hear about the level editor bombing on Snow Leopard. I've upgraded myself now, so I'll have to try that. Can anyone else duplicate this on Snow Leopard?

IP Logged

brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Reply #13 - 21.10.2009 at 04:35:33

I am running 10.6.1 on my Intel iMac.  The builder works just fine.

Wingy, isn't there a flaw in your theory?  If he hasn't got Rosetta installed, then the builder wouldn't run at all, right?

But of course I may be wrong.  Has happened once or twice  Wink

Cowboy, did you install Rosetta (in optional installs) from your Snow Leopard disk?  It has to be installed separately.  Anybody have a clue why Apple chose this weird approach?

A stuck Jack is better than no jack

IP Logged

VernJensen
YaBB Administrator

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #14 - 21.10.2009 at 04:53:52

brell wrote on 21.10.2009 at 04:35:33:
Anybody have a clue why Apple chose this weird approach?

[Raises hand]

I do. Apple is always trying to kill old technology and force people to upgrade. I am guessing that with 10.7, they will stop including Rosetta entirely.

Their approach is a constant pain to developers like me.

IP Logged

CowboyOnAMac
Lost One

Reply #15 - 21.10.2009 at 05:01:39

I did the Rosetta Install when I did the upgrade. I downloaded a fresh copy of MM and I only kept the Intel version. It's weird that I can open the app, open a room, and make all sorts of changes to the room, but only when I try to save it or set options, does it crash my OS.

IP Logged

Anthony
YaBB Administrator

Nova Scotia, Canada

Canada
Reply #16 - 21.10.2009 at 10:10:08

I'm running a Macbook too Cowboy. If it isn't that you just don't have Rosetta, maybe you should check if you have 10.6.1? That's what I have and haven't run into any issues.

Also trying rebooting your computer and just try again, see what happens. Re-download MM, paste the applications over the ones you have, see what happens. Be creative, whenever I have a problem, I just open all the doors that might lead to something.

By the way Brell, maybe the PPC version isn't quite too old, I'm assuming, and the computer just thinks it can run it? I'm not sure, computers do stuff like that.

Anthony Duchesne ~ Original designer of Castle Basano, Leofani Manor and Jasperlone Mountains
Anthony AnthonyDuch http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=590111070  
IP Logged

VernJensen
YaBB Administrator

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #17 - 21.10.2009 at 15:59:46

He's probably better off waiting for OS X 10.6.2 to come out -- there is likely an incompatibility in Rosetta. Do you get any crash logs? I think there's a program you can launch that can show all past crash logs.... but I'm forgetting what it is at the moment.

IP Logged

brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Reply #18 - 21.10.2009 at 17:00:23

I just tried editing and saving in the builder on my intel MacBook pro at work.  Mac OS X 10.6.1.  No problems.  So this is hardly an incompability issue beween MM builder and Snow Leopard.

But cowboy:  Do you have Snow L version 10.6.0?  If so, upgrade to 10.6.1.

A stuck Jack is better than no jack

IP Logged

rose
Treasure Hunter

Sweden
Reply #19 - 21.10.2009 at 18:59:05

Also do a Repair Permissions!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print