Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Midnight Mansion 3 - your opinion wanted! (Read 66007 times)
Leon
Adventurer

Chichester, UK
Re: Midnight Mansion 3 - your opinion wanted!
Reply #10 - 31.08.2010 at 17:12:53

I think it would be a good idea to have a quick play option and a full play option. In quick play, there will be short mansions that shouldn't take more than an hour (or 30 mins) to beat. And in Full play, there should be the normal large sized mansion.

What do you guys think?

WWW Leon mybedroom6  
IP Logged

Toybox
Treasure Hunter

Kiel, Germany
Reply #11 - 31.08.2010 at 18:17:05

The pictures on the map could reflect the size of the mansions: a large castle for a 200 rooms mansion, vs. a hut for a 20 rooms one for example.

So the map would be peppered by huts, schacks and shrubberies between castle, keeps and manors.

profile picture 'The Book of Secrets'
(c) Marta Bevacqua http://m0thyyku.deviantart.com/
IP Logged

margherita
Explorer

Italy
Reply #12 - 31.08.2010 at 20:35:59

I don't like small mansions at all.
For me bigger is the mansion bigger is the enjoyment!

IP Logged

VernJensen
YaBB Administrator

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #13 - 01.09.2010 at 04:46:42

Okay, so it's clear we won't be doing away with large mansions.

But what if, like ToyBox suggests, there were small ones between?

More specifically, what if the game had *paths* from one mansion to the next? When you first start out, you have only one option of what to play first. But it's a small mansion... maybe a short cave, that when jack gets to the end, there is just an exit, not treasure. But upon beating it, 2 more paths open up. Maybe one leads to another "connecter" area (perhaps a "forest" or other outdoor area), and one bigger "real" mansion.

So no, you wouldn't likely replay the little ones very much, but they give this sense of progression, and a story could be worked in, such that at each point, things happen.

Like for the first mini mansion, when you first start it, a person comes up to you and says:

"Jack! Your sister has disappeared! Someone said they thought they saw a woman being dragged up north by a big creature late last night! But Jack… the way to the castle is through the Forrest of Terror! Please be careful!"

You can't do story like that if you can play the mansions in random order like you can now. But you could have a story if it was more controlled.

IP Logged

jacobvann
Wanderer

Champaign, IL
Reply #14 - 01.09.2010 at 05:05:59

I will play Devil's Advocate here, and suggest that the mansions in MM2 suffer a bit because of their length.

There are a few mansions (and my own are included) that I feel have "extra" sections that are simply tacked on for length, where a smaller, 50-60 room mansion may have given a more satisfying experience overall.

Exploration and Puzzles are the meat of Midnight Mansion, so of course those attributes need to be preserved at all costs.

Maybe it's old age or my ADD kicking in, but I would rather play 20 to 30 mansions with 40 or 50 rooms, instead of the typical 8 mansions with 80-100 rooms.

Edit:  Vern's suggestion of a compromise actually sounds pretty good.  8-10 meaty mansions and a few "hub" levels to connect them.

IP Logged

Rob Seegel
YaBB Administrator

Baltimore, MD
Reply #15 - 01.09.2010 at 05:34:31

I like Toybox's idea of lots of smaller-to-midsize areas and a few large mansions. Perhaps you need to clear out some number of smaller areas before you can get to a larger one.

This may be controversial, but one thing that I'm not a fan of in the current game is three sets of very similar mansions. I'd rather see either:

A) three different sets of mansions - so that it feels like different stories. Not Simply: A - Easy, A - Med, A - Hard. A, B, and C would be very different in size and difficulty. This would by my *least* preferred approach.

B) An overall story that starts off with easier areas, but is mostly Normal as the game progresses (possibly with some optional Hard areas that have to be unlocked.) This would have a map more along the lines of what Toybox suggested.

I kind of like this idea, except for if you have folks who only play easy mansions, then at some point they would be unable to continue on, which kind of stinks.

C)  Could be thought of as a combination of A and B, though really it's just a variation of B.

1.) An easy mini storyline with easy mansions that could serve as a warm-up. (it's own unique game map). All easy, many short, but perhaps ending with a normal mansion.

2.) A separate "Main story" more along the lines outlined in idea "B". Different map/story from Easy. Perhaps without optional hard areas.

3.) A handful of standalone hard mansions, perhaps with their own mini story/stories. They would be lengthy and better able to support a standalone story of some kind. These mansions might function in a similar way that the included custom mansions do now, and offer a difficult challenge to those who are interested.

The "C" option is my favorite. I figure this approach gives something for everyone. The easy players have a complete though much shorter "story" they could play through. There would be a large story at mostly Normal (and some easy) mansions. Finally, there would be a few lengthy Hard mansions. It would also be the most work to produce.

Edits: to better show my preference. Basically, it progresses from least to most preferred.
« Last Edit: 01.09.2010 at 07:00:02 by Rob Seegel »  

IP Logged

VernJensen
YaBB Administrator

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #16 - 01.09.2010 at 06:18:42

Interesting you should mention that, Rob.

One thing Jacob also suggested (to me by email) is that we ditch having 3 separate mansion versions for each difficulty. Instead give the player lots of lives, like 30, for Easy. But the gameplay is about the same as Normal.

We might still have a separate "Hard" version of the mansion. But then designers only do Normal and Hard. Easy is normal just with 30 lives.

IP Logged

Anthony
YaBB Administrator

Nova Scotia, Canada

Canada
Reply #17 - 01.09.2010 at 06:30:31

That might not work the best, seeing brand new players to the game will have a hard time playing normal mode mansions. My little brother today was telling me how hard normal mode seems compared to easy. With 30 lives it would only add to new player's frustration.

Now what might make it better though, is to have what Rob suggested the first mansions to be quite easy, and progress to normal mode throughout the game with hard it's own category.

Anthony Duchesne ~ Original designer of Castle Basano, Leofani Manor and Jasperlone Mountains
Anthony AnthonyDuch http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=590111070  
IP Logged

jacobvann
Wanderer

Champaign, IL
Reply #18 - 01.09.2010 at 07:01:02

For the record, I suggested to Vern having *infinite* lives for Easy.  Without a fear of a game over, the player might be encouraged to try more difficult jumps, etc.

As for Rob's suggestion, I don't like the idea of having mansions that some player will never see, especially if we're talking large mansions that may have 80 rooms.  It seems like a waster if half the players will never see it!

IP Logged

Rob Seegel
YaBB Administrator

Baltimore, MD
Reply #19 - 01.09.2010 at 07:07:16

Jacob, you think that half the players don't see anything beyond Easy?

It seems reasonable to me that Normal mansions might be able to played with infinite lives. It could be that you simply make that a setting (like the violence setting) that can be in effect throughout ALL mansions.

It kind of begs the question though... should you be allowed to record a high score in a non-easy mansion if "infinite lives" is in effect? I would say "no"

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print