Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Jill Malone? (Read 14694 times)
Semi-Native
YaBB Administrator

Orlando, FL  USA
Jill Malone?
31.08.2010 at 23:54:17

How about adding a female character (Jack's sister Jill maybe?) with an option to choose your character at the beginning of each mansion.

IP Logged

Anthony
YaBB Administrator

Nova Scotia, Canada

Canada
Re: Jill Malone?
Reply #1 - 01.09.2010 at 00:08:29

Or having different clothes sets for Jack (or Jill) that you can find within levels in huge secrets. Tongue

Anthony Duchesne ~ Original designer of Castle Basano, Leofani Manor and Jasperlone Mountains
Anthony AnthonyDuch http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=590111070  
IP Logged

Toybox
Treasure Hunter

Kiel, Germany
Reply #2 - 01.09.2010 at 00:41:46

Or actually being able to play with both simultaneously (allowing to switch back from one character to the other, I mean, not for two players).

profile picture 'The Book of Secrets'
(c) Marta Bevacqua http://m0thyyku.deviantart.com/
IP Logged

VernJensen
YaBB Administrator

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #3 - 01.09.2010 at 04:15:08

Jacob and I have started discussing this option for Midnight Mansion 3.

The only thing is, there is a TON of animation work that has to be done by the artist for this:
- Walking animation
- Jumping
- Climbing vines
- Sliding down poles
- Climbing ladders
- Being electrocuted. Falling in lava. Skeleton death. Medusa stone death.

and so on.

The amount of work for all of that would be doubled (for the artist) to provide an alternate character you could play. It's possible though. I'm just curious if it'd be worth it, compared to all the other artwork you could add to the game, with the time required to do this?

Also, if you had a female character, would it be simply for kicks, or would she have special abilities that Jack does not? (And vice-versa. So you could switch between them and use a certain character, depending on the situation, to solve that puzzle.)

IP Logged

Semi-Native
YaBB Administrator

Orlando, FL  USA
Reply #4 - 01.09.2010 at 05:11:32

I think it would be weird switching between characters to perform different tasks if one disappeared and the other appeared all of a sudden. If they could be in the room at the same time, that would be pretty cool.

If it's too much work for the animation, though, I don't mind just sticking with Jack. It was just a suggestion.

IP Logged

Toybox
Treasure Hunter

Kiel, Germany
Reply #5 - 01.09.2010 at 05:19:35

They could even be in different rooms (easily spottable on the Map).

IP Logged

jacobvann
Wanderer

Champaign, IL
Reply #6 - 01.09.2010 at 05:36:19

Being able to play as two characters in the same map is a very intriguing idea, like the old video game The Lost Vikings (and there were plenty of others with this idea).

I know I'm not a good enough level designer to fully exploit the concept, that's for sure!  But, it would open up tons of mind-melting puzzles.

It does open up more questions though, like do Jack and Jill share a "backpack" (meaning if Jack picks up a key, then you switch to Jill, will she somehow have that same key?) ... if not, what happens if the designer expected Jill to have a certain key but you picked it up with Jack?

IP Logged

Anthony
YaBB Administrator

Nova Scotia, Canada

Canada
Reply #7 - 01.09.2010 at 05:40:37

VernJensen wrote on 01.09.2010 at 04:15:08:
Jacob and I have started discussing this option for Midnight Mansion 3.

The only thing is, there is a TON of animation work that has to be done by the artist for this:
- Walking animation
- Jumping
- Climbing vines
- Sliding down poles
- Climbing ladders
- Being electrocuted. Falling in lava. Skeleton death. Medusa stone death.

and so on.

The amount of work for all of that would be doubled (for the artist) to provide an alternate character you could play. It's possible though. I'm just curious if it'd be worth it, compared to all the other artwork you could add to the game, with the time required to do this?

It would be a ton of work but would be worth it for MM3, and even more so since the graphics will be high res. I did re-draw Jack with my own character at one time and it took me about 4 hours of animating. Now I didn't do a good job, but I did do a decent one. Tongue

I'm not sure how you would incorporate abilities to the game between Jack and the female character. Well, you could do something about how fast they both pull levers, how fast they walk, jump, etc., or climb. Hmm...

And on a side note, perhaps Jack and Jill could be like the lost vikings to a certain effect? Maybe Jill starts on the other side of the mansion, and Jack the other, and you can switch between playing them, maybe for hot-seating players? Or maybe even you could have multiplayer like that? Shocked It would be difficult to design a level that would involve both players to help each other but possible.

Anthony Duchesne ~ Original designer of Castle Basano, Leofani Manor and Jasperlone Mountains
Anthony AnthonyDuch http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=590111070  
IP Logged

Amplifyed
Adventurer

Formally known as "Sam
S."

Down the hall on the 3rd right
Reply #8 - 01.09.2010 at 07:53:48

It would be kinda cool to have maybe different character suits or something. Cheesy

(For example, have a Jack with a top hat accessory... Maybe this could be something you could buy in a store with the gold you've earned?)

-Vintage Octopus-

IP Logged

Toybox
Treasure Hunter

Kiel, Germany
Reply #9 - 01.09.2010 at 16:42:55

Jack and Jill shouldn't share the backpack, but they should be able to exchange stuff when they meet.

(I got the idea playing Shift 3 btw).

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print