Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Talk (Read 3248 times)
Leon
Adventurer

Chichester, UK
Talk
29.10.2010 at 05:59:26

Hey,

Have a comment about this level that you would wish to make? Or maybe an idea for this level or future levels? Then you can do that right here Wink

Thanks
Leon

WWW Leon mybedroom6  
IP Logged

Psychotronic
Explorer

Alaska
Re: Talk
Reply #1 - 08.11.2010 at 06:16:28

Finally downloaded this and finished it.  Smiley

I liked it. It's short, but it the whole level feels like one big puzzle. I like the mix of big environments and tough little single-room puzzles, and the extended action-y dodging challenge right near the end. I don't know if very many individual rooms stood out for me; it's more about the way the whole thing goes together. I liked the way the number code was hidden.

I almost gave up on this level before the end, though, because of a few frustrations. I feel like there are a few too many objects hidden behind other things. Ladders and passageways are okay, especially since this isn't supposed to be an official mansion or anything, but I really don't like it when keys and lanterns are invisible until I pick them up. I feel sort of cheated when I discover I suddenly have a key, because I didn't get to see it and pick it up myself.

The lanterns especially turn out to be so important, I was disappointed that I didn't get the chance to ever see some of them. There was no way for me to know how many lanterns I had collected before I went into the one-way area that required me to have all the lanterns. Yeah, I heard the sound effect, but that's kind of insubstantial.

I got stuck on the one blue-haired troll puzzle that needs the correct gold/silver setting to solve, but I'm not sure that's really a problem. Maybe the appropriate gold/silver lever could be easier to pick out on a map, so it's less frustrating looking around the level for it if you forget where it was.

The problem with room 15910, I think, is that it's a tough puzzle with no clearly defined goal. If there were a really obvious wall between the top of the room and the bottom of the room, with a really obvious gap where the moving platform is supposed to go, the puzzle would be better. You'd be telling the player: "Here's the goal, here's your tools, now how are you going to get that platform over there?" Right now, it's more like "Here's some stuff. Maybe if you fiddle with it, something will happen." Once I was fairly sure of what I was trying to do, I thought it was an awesome puzzle. I just don't think there's any point to making important elements of the puzzle invisible.

TI guess I would say the same thing about that one blue-haired troll puzzle with the conveyor belt and the ghoul head. The conveyor belt is important to the puzzle, and I don't see why it has to be invisible. It makes no sense that I pull a lever and now the floor moves. Just let it be a conveyor belt.

Anyway, I enjoyed the level overall. I'm just nitpicking specific design choices. The Zelda music was surprisingly appropriate for the mood. Maybe that's just because the Zelda music is so darn good, but it was originally made for caves and ironwork, so it fits the MM2 graphics.

Thanks for the fun!

IP Logged

Leon
Adventurer

Chichester, UK
Re: Talk
Reply #2 - 08.11.2010 at 19:07:45

Thank you very much for your comments, if I have time, I may update the mansion again fixing the problems you have found Cheesy

Thanks again
Leon

WWW Leon mybedroom6  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print