Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ropes and Lights (Read 7270 times)
Leon
Adventurer

Chichester, UK
Ropes and Lights
20.11.2010 at 17:47:57

Hey,

I thought a good idea for the next game or expansion, there should be ropes that you can climb on, like vines, but you can also swing on too. Another idea I had are hanging lights, these could be used in dark rooms to make a small area of lint around it, they could also be on the end of some of the ropes so when you swing on them the area of light moves with the rope too.

What do you think?
Leon

WWW Leon mybedroom6  
IP Logged

VernJensen
YaBB Administrator

Los Angeles, CA
Re: Ropes and Lights
Reply #1 - 21.01.2011 at 15:16:12

I think in general, using dynamic lighting (where lights are swinging) would be very cool. The trick is coding it...

I have lots and lots of ideas for MM3, so it'll be a matter of picking and choosing the best, since there won't be time to do them all. In general, I hope to make the game more puzzle-based.

IP Logged

brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Reply #2 - 21.01.2011 at 19:28:30

I like the thought of making the game more puzzle based.  There is one pit that you, Vern, should avoid at all cost IMO:  Letting the graphics overtake the gameplay so the game will become much too big and slow without any real improvement to the play.  I have seen many game developers fall into this pit.

A stuck Jack is better than no jack

IP Logged

VernJensen
YaBB Administrator

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #3 - 03.02.2011 at 08:14:13

Well, I've just spent the last several weeks optimizing the game's performance to make sure it performs well, even with the improved graphics resolution that is coming in the game's update.

IP Logged

jacobvann
Wanderer

Champaign, IL
Reply #4 - 16.04.2011 at 01:12:53

I like the idea for a swinging rope/vine mechanic for MM3.  Vines and ropes should have some kind of physics built into them so that when you are moving fast and grab one, it will swing with your momentum, and you can use the arrow keys to build more speed to swing over large gaps, etc.

Of course, this really changes the gameplay style to much more action and physics based as opposed to slow puzzled based movement.

New Super Mario Bros is an example of a game that does rope swinging mechanics very well.

Something I'd *really* like to see is vines/ropes that can be attached to moving platforms.  Also, being able to unfurl a vine via switch.  Like some curled up vines on a ceiling, and you have to go above and "untie" them.

IP Logged

merlin.violet
Lost One

Reply #5 - 05.05.2011 at 00:15:02

Torches and lights, when used in dark areas could provide small bubbles of light. You could also add shadowy/misty areas which could be lighter around the areas which you walked in, yet still somewhat dark. You could also add light switches. And perhaps ropes could also be moved by wind?

Hand over the controls, Flappitron is here!

IP Logged

Missy
Treasure Hunter

Toronto, Canada
Reply #6 - 27.12.2011 at 11:27:40

VernJensen wrote on 21.01.2011 at 15:16:12:
In general, I hope to make the game more puzzle-based.

Puzzle based is the best.

Missy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print