Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The App store (Read 13298 times)
josephine
Adventurer

California
Re: The App store
Reply #10 - 30.07.2011 at 16:50:49

Hi brell- can you get "temporary" or prepaid credit cards in Iceland? This would solve the problem if you don't want to register a "real" credit card with Apple.

IP Logged

brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Reply #11 - 30.07.2011 at 18:22:13

Thanks, Josephine, but I'll just register with my CC.

A stuck Jack is better than no jack

IP Logged

brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Reply #12 - 30.07.2011 at 19:48:50

mick wrote on 28.07.2011 at 10:35:09:
This drove me nuts... I don't use credit cards or other forms of online money exchange, and iTunes Store (which drives the App Store) would not register me without a credit card.

There was an article in MacWorld a couple of months ago (ish) on how to get an app store account without having a CC. Unfortunately that requires creating a new Apple ID.

I actually called Apple and found what worked for me. You do need access to a CC#, but it's temporary.  You do your registration and enter the CC# (I used my sister's.. with her permission), and the registration goes through. Then you edit your profile and remove the CC data... changing the payment option to none.

Then you have your access to the free offerings in the App Store and the iTunes Store.   

Hope this helps, Brell.

Hmm.  I just signed in and I still cannot download any free trials.  There is only the link "Buy App".

IP Logged

Rob Seegel
YaBB Administrator

Baltimore, MD
Reply #13 - 30.07.2011 at 22:01:14

brell wrote on 30.07.2011 at 19:48:50:
Hmm.  I just signed in and I still cannot download any free trials.  There is only the link "Buy App".

That's odd. There's a number of things that are free and are labeled as such. When you click on these one time, the Free text changes to "install app". On the right side of the page, there are four sub-sections. The third one is "Top Free" There should be plenty to experiment with in there.

IP Logged

brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Reply #14 - 30.07.2011 at 23:50:47

I don't see anything with the name "Top Free".  Should it be in the "Quick links"?
Anyway, what I am talking about is the option of downloading a free trial of an app to evaluate it before one buys it.  This option was very clear before the App store.

IP Logged

Rob Seegel
YaBB Administrator

Baltimore, MD
Reply #15 - 31.07.2011 at 02:37:45

If I scroll down from Quick links, I see the following sections on the right side: Top Paid, Top Free, and Top Grossing. Each of these sections, has a "see all" link.

As to your specific question about trial versions, it looks like that *isn't* possible through the app store. That's probably limited to individual developer web sites now. The App store appears to be intended for when people are ready to spend money or at least find games, not try them out. I suppose it could be possible for the game synopsis (which you click on an app name) to provide a link to a trial version, or at least to developer web sites where a trial version might be, but that's it. I did see a number of games that were available free as some sort of promotion for other games that weren't free. I saw other games, like Braid (a beautifully rendered and fascinating game) offered at a reduced price also for promotional purposes.

At first, I was thinking that perhaps a developer could upload a free (trial) version and pay version, but I don't know about the app store rules or if that would even be possible. I did see a number of games labeled as "Lite" under the free area.

This may go a ways into explaining why Vern opted to go the way he did in packaging the game. By splitting the game up, he could drastically reduce the price where someone might be willing to try it out for the lower price point, and then if they liked it, they could get more by purchasing Part 2. I believe the ability to load custom mansions is only enabled if someone gets both parts.

The app store is still new and probably evolving. I think folks are still figuring out how to make best use of it for both marketing and selling their games. It's no longer a simple directory of links.

IP Logged

brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Reply #16 - 31.07.2011 at 05:10:22

Rob Seegel wrote on 31.07.2011 at 02:37:45:
If I scroll down from Quick links, I see the following sections on the right side: Top Paid, Top Free, and Top Grossing. Each of these sections, has a "see all" link.

Thanks.  I'll check it out.

Rob Seegel wrote on 31.07.2011 at 02:37:45:
As to your specific question about trial versions, it looks like that *isn't* possible through the app store. That's probably limited to individual developer web sites now. The App store appears to be intended for when people are ready to spend money or at least find games, not try them out. I suppose it could be possible for the game synopsis (which you click on an app name) to provide a link to a trial version, or at least to developer web sites where a trial version might be, but that's it. I did see a number of games that were available free as some sort of promotion for other games that weren't free. I saw other games, like Braid (a beautifully rendered and fascinating game) offered at a reduced price also for promotional purposes.

Thanks again.  Then I am not mistaken that the free trial download is missing from the App store as I had presumed.  Which means that Apple customer service has degraded a lot since we had "Get Mac OS X software" under the Apple menu.

IP Logged

Rob Seegel
YaBB Administrator

Baltimore, MD
Reply #17 - 31.07.2011 at 06:32:10

brell wrote on 31.07.2011 at 05:10:22:
Thanks again.  Then I am not mistaken that the free trial download is missing from the App store as I had presumed.  Which means that Apple customer service has degraded a lot since we had "Get Mac OS X software" under the Apple menu.

You're welcome, and I just know you're not going to want to read this, but I think that's a little harsh. It *is* different, but that's not always a bad thing. In the upper right hand corner, there is a search field. Type "lite" in there and return and wait for the results. Those should be the trial versions of various apps. If you find a lite app and search on it's name, in every case I'm tried so far, there's a version you have to pay for. Just browsing through these apps, I see lite (and free) versions of games I've really enjoyed over the years.

Ultimately, I think it's up to the developer and not Apple whether or not a trial version exists in the App store.

IP Logged

brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Reply #18 - 31.07.2011 at 20:32:04

Hmm.  We have different opinions on this but granted, you have more experience of the App store than I do.  I think it was better to be able to download the trial and then pay the developer if I wanted to keep the app.

IP Logged

Rob Seegel
YaBB Administrator

Baltimore, MD
Reply #19 - 01.08.2011 at 00:12:06

brell wrote on 31.07.2011 at 20:32:04:
Hmm.  We have different opinions on this but granted, you have more experience of the App store than I do.  I think it was better to be able to download the trial and then pay the developer if I wanted to keep the app.

Well, no matter how I hard I try to look for positives, there's no getting around one undeniable fact: it's a way for Apple to insert themselves between software developers and end users, in order to profit from those sales where they couldn't before - at least not directly. I hope that those who sell their hard work through the App store feel that the exposure and the e-commerce capabilities Apple provides are worth the costs.

This is something that I'm highly interested in as a possibility for the future. At the moment, and probably for the foreseeable future, my livelihood as a software developer doesn't depend on internet app stores, but who knows? Maybe it can provide a decent supplemental income at the very least, and possibly more. So perhaps this perspective influences my comments somewhat.

Seeing your comments, and others gives me more to think about. You might consider submitting feedback to Apple to see if there was an easier way to associate trials with full-blown versions. I'm not sure how much financial sense it makes for them to host free software and not host the full versions and for the actually unlocking/payment to happen outside of the App store.

I do know as an App store consumer, there are some pain points: software packages that are very large (xcode and lion, I'm looking at you!) with crappy patch mechanisms (again, xcode...). Still, there are some things I like. I'm hoping the App store user experience improves with time. I appreciate the dialogue even (especially) if we don't agree on everything.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print