Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How the HD CM's were uploaded (Read 3609 times)
brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
How the HD CM's were uploaded
25.10.2011 at 19:24:33

All HD custom mansions players please note:
Some of the CM's were uploaded as a zipfile plus a readme file within a folder containing the mansion's name.  In these instances you have to move the zipped file to the top level of your Midnight Mansion HD Custom Mansions folder to be able to play it, zipped or unzipped.
Other CM's were uploaded as zipfiles just containing the CM.  This zipfile must be placed at the top level of the Midnight Mansion HD Custom Mansions folder and played from there, zippedor unzipped.
I have received some complaints about non-working CM's, producing some error codes when the MM1 HD tries to open them.  Please check whether the CM you are trying to play is indeed at the top level of your Midnight Mansion HD Custom Mansions folder. If they are there you can play them zipped or unzipped.
I do not have any problems playing the HD ready CM's on the list.

A stuck Jack is better than no jack

IP Logged

Rob Seegel
YaBB Administrator

Baltimore, MD
Re: How the HD CM's were uploaded
Reply #1 - 26.10.2011 at 14:09:54

I would hazard a guess that *most* uploaded mansions are actually a zip file containing another zip file, and I was most likely the one who did it. I did this because I wanted to allow for mansion designers to bundle additional files with their CM, if they wanted. A few mansions in the original MM1 were packaged this way. I was actually shooting for a bit of consistency (I'm kind of a nut about stuff like that), but in the end as Brell mentioned, there was still some inconsistency with the uploads.

I also added a README file with basic instructions - which probably wasn't the best idea in retrospect. If those instructions were to change, then that's a lot of updating! Most likely, if it ever came to that, then I'd look for a way to automate the process.

I prefer keeping the mansions as an archive/single file rather than an open directory. (except for exceptionally large mansions where the slowdown between rooms is more apparent). Personally, I also wished that the mansions had their own custom file extension rather than .zip - something that could eventually be used on some platforms (like windows) to allow the mansion archive to be easily associated with a particular icon, and application.

Feel free to PM or send me an email, if your mansion is not playable for whatever reason, and I'll make it right. The work was done very quickly to have an many mansions converted as possible for the new version of the game, and although we tried to be careful, I'm certain there were occasional mistakes (probably made by me!) ...or, you could send them all to brell. I'm sure he'd find a suitably nasty way to pay me back. (In case it's not obvious - I'm kidding, I'll be happy to fix any problems that are found).

IP Logged

brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Re: How the HD CM's were uploaded
Reply #2 - 26.10.2011 at 23:58:42

Smiley

A stuck Jack is better than no jack

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print