Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Freezes when in the prefs screen. (Read 11007 times)
mick
Wanderer

Absolutely

Freezes when in the prefs screen.
14.11.2011 at 18:18:09

I've been playing the custom mansions... sort of checking them. I started out just playing but kept finding problems, so went with scrubbing through them fast to look for trouble spots.

This involved using the cheat codes.

The prefs screen doesn't freeze unless I invoke the map or the secrets (no problem with extra lives, keys or money), and then it locks up for anywhere between 30 seconds and 5 minutes. I've learned to wait it out, but it's a PITA.

Also: I notice there's no longer a message about "Used Cheats" when the game is completed.  This is only with the Custom Mansions; I haven't done a cheat on the included mansions to see if they come up "clean" too.

IP Logged

mick
Wanderer

Absolutely

Re: Freezes when in the prefs screen.
Reply #1 - 14.11.2011 at 18:21:09

Almost forgot....

This is a sample of the  console message that appears when MM HD freezes in the Prefs screen.

11-11-07 4:00:44.094 AM com.apple.spindump: Midnight Mansion HD [10062] didn't gather any samples

IP Logged

VernJensen
YaBB Administrator

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #2 - 24.11.2011 at 01:46:38

mick, by "prefs screen" do you mean the Paused screen -- the one that is visible when you type in cheat codes?

And, are you saying that it freezes after you type in cheat codes "reveal map" or "show secrets"? If so, it's not actually frozen -- it's just going very slow for some reason (there is a lot of processing done behind-the-scenes to reveal the map and show secrets).

What type of computer are you running on, and what OS? Does it have the same issue with really small mansions? What about the built-in ones? (I would imagine that the bigger the mansion, the longer the delay. For instance, Freddy's mansion would likely take longer, since it's HUGE!)

I put in code to optimize this, but it sounds like it's not working on your system for some reason.

Is anyone else experiencing a long pause when entering the "reveal map" or "show secrets" cheat codes? For me it's very fast.

IP Logged

mick
Wanderer

Absolutely

Reply #3 - 04.12.2011 at 17:38:28

2.5 GHz Intel Core i5   8 GB ram

OS 10.7.2

It DOES seem to be mostly the larger mansions, but not exclusively.... and frozen is frozen (IMO) when it takes 20 minutes for the Paused (yes, the right word!) screen.

The Ginormous mansions do slow to a molasses crawl in Map view, that's for sure.

My computer shouldn't be bogging down from something like this.  Sad

It's annoying enough that I've pretty much stopped testing Custom Mansions out.

IP Logged

Rob Seegel
YaBB Administrator

Baltimore, MD
Reply #4 - 04.12.2011 at 22:58:43

mick, are you playing the mansions as zip files or opening them up?

IP Logged

mick
Wanderer

Absolutely

Reply #5 - 05.12.2011 at 01:44:44

Rob, I'm "playing them as they lay".  Some of the CM's want to be unzipped, some don't. (That must be confusing to new players.)

I went through each CM and tried to open it zipped (with the exception of Brell's The Pirate Invasion, which he flagged as having the ReadMe inside). If a CM wouldn't open zipped, I unzipped it and play from the its data folder.

My CM folder is a mix of zipped files and unzipped folders.

IP Logged

Rob Seegel
YaBB Administrator

Baltimore, MD
Reply #6 - 05.12.2011 at 02:29:13

OK, I'm a little confused. I do know that they have been uploaded two different ways. Essentially, the entire zip is the mansion, or the zipped mansion is one level down, alongside a README file.

However, regardless of the layout, whether the mansion is just uploaded like this:

Mansion Name.zip   [#1]

Or zipped like this:

Mansion Name
   + -- Mansion Name.zip [#2]
   + -- README.txt

In both cases the actual mansion archive, whether it's #1 or #2 can be played as a zip file, or unzipped as a directory. Vern's established that there is a bit of lag when playing the mansion as a zip file. I've only really seen this lag when playing the larger mansions, and wasn't specifically looking for it when I used the map screen. I was just trying to understand your specific cases so I could try and repeat what you're seeing. So far, no luck, but I've only just started.

IP Logged

mick
Wanderer

Absolutely

Reply #7 - 05.12.2011 at 16:43:47

Yes, you've laid it out clearly how the CM's are zipped.

They're all zipped on download.
Some Unzip (initially) to the data files.
Some Unzip to another zip file and a read me.

If the secondary zip file is playable, I haven't unzipped them more.

Naturally a large mansion/map is more processor intensive.

I feel brave for admitting that I'm cheating, even if it's in the spirit of testing.

Smiley  Maybe if you cheated more.....   

IP Logged

Rob Seegel
YaBB Administrator

Baltimore, MD
Reply #8 - 05.12.2011 at 20:15:03

Does it only freeze when you use the cheat codes, then?

Does it matter if you unzip the actually mansion zip file (whether it's case #1 or # 2) and play the unzipped archive?

Incidentally, in the case of where there is a zip in a zip file, it was never intended that you move the top-level directory into the custom mansion directory - just the mansion file, which can then be unzipped as well. Vern has noted that on his machine he sees a distinct difference when playing the game directly from the mansion zip file vs unzipping it, and playing from the expanded directory (this is how all the game mansions mansions are played).

Personally, I've only ever seen a big difference when the mansions are very large. I was just curious if this could be part of the issue you're seeing.

Also, does it seem to matter which cheat code is used?

IP Logged

VernJensen
YaBB Administrator

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #9 - 06.12.2011 at 07:23:38

Those are good questions Rob just posted. I'll wait for the answers before I look into this more.

mick -- what type of Mac do you have? What is the processor speed and graphics card?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print