Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Poll closed Poll
Question: Wish you a new Mansion Builder up to 10.7 ?
*** This poll has now closed ***

Absolutely nessecary!    
  8 (80.0%)
Perhaps ... But welcome    
  2 (20.0%)
Not really, but ok!    
  0 (0.0%)
No need of this crap!    
  0 (0.0%)

Total votes: 10
« Created by: gonzo on: 11.04.2012 at 04:21:12 »

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11
Send Topic Print
At last! Discotheque Of Doom ins running for me... (Read 79395 times)
Rob Seegel
YaBB Administrator

Baltimore, MD
Re: At last! Discotheque Of Doom ins running for me...
Reply #20 - 29.04.2012 at 16:10:18

rose wrote on 29.04.2012 at 15:12:55:
Rob Seegel wrote on 29.04.2012 at 14:19:46:
rose wrote on 29.04.2012 at 13:38:53:
You can convert pict files in Preview to png!!! Though I don't think you can batch convert.

You know, I *thought* you could do this, but when I tried it only allowed me to export as .pdf. Perhaps this changed in Lion? I had to look for other alternatives.

No, I don't have Lion and will not buy Lion either. You have to use the Save as, where you can choose the format. How you do in Lion I don't know. It is probably File > Duplicate, File > save as???

(Shrug) I guess it's been removed in Lion, then. I still have one laptop that has Snow Leopard, but don't use it that often. I'll have to check when I get back home tomorrow.

IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #21 - 29.04.2012 at 21:23:39

@ Rob Seagal:

Thanks a lot for your lengthy "how-to-guide". Of course I do know what Rezycle is (after all I had always used it for my custom graphics), I only didn't know the details of that Rezycle-Workaround that has been mentioned as a means to 'update' older custom mansions for Lion use.

Judging from your description it is more complicated than I thought - for example I didn't know that the game now uses .png-files of a difference size.  This sounds like considerable work, depending of the amount of custom graphics a given mansion has.

But I might try my luck with one of my old mansions in the next couple of weeks.
As for graphic apps: I was a Photoshop user for many years.... and still have an old version of it running on my old G5. Unfortunately on this new MacBook running Lion, I only have Gimp....which can be a pain in the ass in terms of operating speed / control etc.

About your question about who is willing to pay what for a Level Editor update:
I can fully understand your point of view and Vern's situation etc., and I am sure it'll take quite some time to create that Level Editor update, and principally I guess I'd be willing to spend a few bucks on that.
On the other hand I feel our designing & programming of custom mansions in what (in my case at least) amounts to literally several hundreds of hours of work, does add considerably to the value of the game. For a potential customer of MM  it surely makes a difference if he is spending his initial 10 or 20 bucks on 8 or on more than 100 mansions.

This is something that Vern & yourself really should consider when thinking about the "worth" of a level editor update: in the end the game will gain a considerable boost (in marketability)....  and I'm not even beginning to talk about the good, hopefully 'rejuvenating' effect it would have on this community.

(Bottom Line: So somehow I guess I would feel a little awkward being asked to pay for my contribution....!)

PS: I don't think you should take the meagre participation in Gonzo's poll as a (representative) indication of how many people would be interested in a level editor update (or not). It is rather a reflection of the state of sleep this community is in....

Why is a carrot more orange than an orange ?
IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #22 - 29.04.2012 at 21:54:57

Rob Seegel wrote on 29.04.2012 at 14:16:41:
aquaMat wrote on 29.04.2012 at 01:31:13:
.....and nobody had ever asked me to check my mansions for HD-compatibility, which I found a bit strange, considering how many custom-mansions I had designed.

I'm sorry we didn't contact you and the other designers. It sounds bad, but it was something we had intended, and even talked about it but didn't follow through with for whatever reason. The new game was getting ready to come out, and we wanted players to be able to be able to play as many of the custom mansions as possible.

(...)

Thanks for clarifying this....

Due to minor game changes, some mansions were broken. For example:

- Mansions where levers were stylistically lowered one brick below the ground, so that only the top portion of the lever was sticking out. These levers cannot be pulled in the new Game. I believe this was a side effect of Vern 'fixing' it so that levers could not be pulled mid-air. Some mansions were *full* of levers like this.

That sounds like mine.... Cool !
I have "invented" the "bury-the-lever-in-the-ground-feature" (meaning I have discovered that it works) and then used it extensively as I always found it looked better - especially in those cases when those 'lever-bottoms' of different color (yellow/green) were screwing up my room designs. I know that there is a reason for these different colors.... but I found in most cases that this information isn't really necessary.

So I'm afraid - there goes another great feature (which originated in an omission or bug until some custom mansion designer made it a feature).... because Vern has "improved" it.
In German we have a slang word for that: verschlimmbessern. It is an artificial word made from 2 words: "to improve" and "to make it worse" (at the same time)......  I know Vern only means well.... but sometimes I fear he's taking out too many of the quirks and odds that make MM so wonderful... even if most of them were never intended. 
To think that I have to go thru all my mansions and dig out all the levers makes me want to cry.....! Shocked

- Some mansions used portions of the ladder in unusually decorative ways. They ended up not resembling ladders whatsoever. The new game doesn't allow these ladder pieces to work, which broke a few puzzles.

- The behavior of some of the disappearing platforms changed so that if you jumped from a disappearing platform from one screen onto a floating platform in another screen, that platform might not be there to land on.

That sounds not good......   I might have used a feature like that once in a while.

We noted these issues, and took no action unless we had permission. Once we had done as much as we could, we intended to ask for permission. We should have at least sent a PM (I know that I felt a bit like I was intruding by sending unsolicited email). (...)

Yeah, you should have just sent a quick PM or mail....

(...)

My guess is that those mansions that feature a large amount of custom graphics will probably need to be redone completely (at least the graphics). Simply scaling the graphics larger doesn't look that great. I tried a few experiments with DoD today and the results were mixed. *None* of the admins wished to make fundamental changes to anyone else's mansion. Like I said, I think the intention had always been to contact those designers whose dungeons didn't convert cleanly. After the initial flurry of activity, we all got busy with other things, I guess, and I think it was forgotten. Brell *did* post about conversions, and some of the issues with mansions. There was certainly no disrespect intended.

Thanks again for making this clear !

IP Logged

Rob Seegel
YaBB Administrator

Baltimore, MD
Reply #23 - 29.04.2012 at 22:40:21

aquaMat wrote on 29.04.2012 at 21:54:57:
That sounds like mine.... Cool !
I have "invented" the "bury-the-lever-in-the-ground-feature" (meaning I have discovered that it works) and then used it extensively as I always found it looked better - especially in those cases when those 'lever-bottoms' of different color (yellow/green) were screwing up my room designs. I know that there is a reason for these different colors.... but I found in most cases that this information isn't really necessary.

So I'm afraid - there goes another great feature (which originated in an omission or bug until some custom mansion designer made it a feature).... because Vern has "improved" it.
In German we have a slang word for that: verschlimmbessern. It is an artificial word made from 2 words: "to improve" and "to make it worse" (at the same time)......  I know Vern only means well.... but sometimes I fear he's taking out too many of the quirks and odds that make MM so wonderful... even if most of them were never intended. 
To think that I have to go thru all my mansions and dig out all the levers makes me want to cry.....!

It probably won't cheer you up, but I think I wrote a Perl script back then that detects each case. It would take very little effort to modify the script to move each lever up a little, and  report the room. I'm not sure - I may have already done this and forgotten.

The odd thing about this change is that I don't believe it was in response to your mansions. There was some other issue that was happening, that he had been trying to fix. I can remember being surprised that the levers were broken in the mansions I saw them in. It makes me wonder if this could be addressed through custom graphics instead.

Thanks for the new German word - I love that about the German language. There are lots of words like that. It's been too long since I was last there. I miss it.

Quote:
- Some mansions used portions of the ladder in unusually decorative ways. They ended up not resembling ladders whatsoever. The new game doesn't allow these ladder pieces to work, which broke a few puzzles.

- The behavior of some of the disappearing platforms changed so that if you jumped from a disappearing platform from one screen onto a floating platform in another screen, that platform might not be there to land on.

That sounds not good......   I might have used a feature like that once in a while.

Maybe, I'll have to check my notes if I still have them. I don't think this happened as much as anyone thought. I was a little surprised that Vern changed this behavior. I forget the rationale.

IP Logged

SandyBean
Adventurer

Deroche,BC,Canada
Reply #24 - 30.04.2012 at 00:38:12

Thanks Everyone for enjoying the pic of Shasta (our dog) and her new puppies ! Smiley

I also want to say thanks to Rob and the others that converted as many CMs as possible, it was a lot of work, and well done.  Understandable that some of the CM's with special graphics/effects, etc could not be done at this time.

Since my computer skills are very limited, I don't think I'll be able to convert my CM "Immortal Ruins" via the explanations and programs so kindly and well explained by Rob, I'm just not computer savvy enough.  It's not a big deal, I'm sure it won't be missed ! 

Can't wait AquaMat if you do take the time to convert your CM's, (I've played ALL the mansions from MM1, MM2 and MMHD over again, as I'm desperate for some 'fun time' !!!)

Also can't wait to see new mansions being built and finished, in the builders/editors that are presently available. 

Take care everyone, and our MM community is Vunderbar !
SandyBean Smiley

IP Logged

Semi-Native
YaBB Administrator

Orlando, FL  USA
Reply #25 - 30.04.2012 at 01:34:24

SandyBean, Immortal Ruins certainly is missed in HD. It's a fun mansion, even if my Jack does get a bit paranoid when he's lost behind walls.  Grin

IP Logged

Rob Seegel
YaBB Administrator

Baltimore, MD
Reply #26 - 30.04.2012 at 13:05:41

Off-Topic replies have been moved to this Topic.

IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #27 - 30.04.2012 at 07:46:47

In the meantime I have consulted that list of MM1 mansions which are HD-ready or HD-compatible and I was considerably shocked to find that there are really only 3 mansions of mine (out of what - 15 or 16 I had released) on that list (I'm counting the two Faces versions and the two Palace of Gore versions as only one mansion each).

I didn't know it was that few......   the whole affair seems to be more problematic than I thought.

I find it especially sad that those designs which I consider to be my best efforts, namely THE FOUR TUBES, THE BIRDCAGE and THE COMPLEX, are not among them.

What a cryin' shame....    Shocked    Sad    Angry

Rob, one more question:  what did you and the other designers use when preparing the all-new designs for the HD version ??
I certainly can't imagine you went thru all that trouble of designing in the old editor and than replacing all parts using your described Rezycle method ?!

So I reckon you must have built some sort of tool for yourselves to help you make those new designs ?

IP Logged

Rob Seegel
YaBB Administrator

Baltimore, MD
Reply #28 - 30.04.2012 at 10:21:50

aquaMat wrote on 30.04.2012 at 07:46:47:
In the meantime I have consulted that list of MM1 mansions which are HD-ready or HD-compatible and I was considerably shocked to find that there are really only 3 mansions of mine (out of what - 15 or 16 I had released) on that list (I'm counting the two Faces versions and the two Palace of Gore versions as only one mansion each).

I didn't know it was that few......   the whole affair seems to be more problematic than I thought.

I'm not sure it's as bad as you think. I could have sworn that there were some that didn't need as much work as others in terms of graphics conversion. I think it's also worth seeing if we can do something about those levers with graphics. Between new graphics and a script to do most of the lever moving, that wouldn't be too big a deal.

Quote:
I find it especially sad that those designs which I consider to be my best efforts, namely THE FOUR TUBES, THE BIRDCAGE and THE COMPLEX, are not among them.

Ugh... you're right. I do remember some of those. When we were going through them, we went through them fast. I think the whole effort took 1-2 weeks. I didn't really stop and dwell on it too much.

Quote:
Rob, one more question:  what did you and the other designers use when preparing the all-new designs for the HD version ?? I certainly can't imagine you went thru all that trouble of designing in the old editor and than replacing all parts using your described Rezycle method ?!

So I reckon you must have built some sort of tool for yourselves to help you make those new designs?

No. We used the old editor, which was actually a pretty big hassle. All the mansions in the HD game get stored in the old way. That is the only way they can be edited - aside from some really experimental stuff I've been doing. Prior to shipping, the original formats have to be converted using rezycle. Generally, this is pretty easy. Occasionally, one or two custom graphics may have to be added after Rezycle has unpacked everything. Fortunately, there are not many custom graphics in the new game. Jacob redid *all* the graphics though.

What this meant is that if you worked on the mansion, you had to work on it as though you building a mansion for MM1, then to see what your changes looked like, you would then have to convert it, and open it as a mansion (or custom mansion) in the new game. As you can imagine, this was a little tedious. Because the mansion and the builder were working off of different files, I could bring up the game and the old builder at the same time and flip back and forth between the two windows.

I did end building out some tools, but they were command line based. I wrote a few Perl scripts to help me quickly identify potential or known issues. I didn't actually build any new mansions for the game. That was done by Toybox, Jacob, and Vern. I ended up scrubbing all the existing "included" mansions. Scrubbing included:

- Finding and correcting any odd Layer 6 issues

These fixes were areas were for areas where the illusion was spoiled. For example, a short pillar in layer that "supported" the ceiling above it. There were many, many areas where Jack would be "behind" the pillar, jump, and then appear in front of the tiles the pillar was supporting. This sort of thing spoils the illusion and tends to look "weird" to the eye. There were lots of different cases here, that were dealt with in various ways. Some of this was easy, some was a bit more work.

- Removing *most* designer-painted shadows

I was sure that this would be the most controversial of the changes, yet I don't recall anything getting upset. Vern added game-generated shadows to MM HD. These shadows generally look better than the painted in shadows because they more closely resemble the item that casts the shadow, and there is a bit more consistency. I believe that tiles in layers 4 and 6 will cast shadows, initially only in rooms with a black background. Otherwise, Birds and other creatures could cast "shadows" on the sky background image, which looked strange. Game generated shadows can also be disabled in newer versions of the old Builder.

This probably should be disabled by default for all custom mansions, because I can tell you first-hand that removing most of the designer-added shadows was tedious in the extreme. If you don't remove them, then the game will add shadows on top of areas where the developer already painted them in. These areas will be darker than what the designer intended, slight ruining the effect. Areas that were shaded may become black outright.

- Correcting some block inconsistencies

There are basically two kinds of Bricks most often used in Layer 4. You have the bricks that are smart enough to "assemble" themselves when you are painting them in. There are others for each color that have to be manually and painstakingly assembled. In the past, these two types were mixed together in some places. The problem with this is that Vern applies some sort of logic to the "smart" bricks while slightly and somewhat randomly alters their appearance to add some variety and keep things from looking too uniform. It's a very nice effect that I was skeptical about at first.
The problem is that if you mix and match the "smart" bricks with the others, then it noticeably throws off the effect. This was among my least favorite things to fix, because it was tough to detect i the MM1 Builder.

- Taking a first cut to see how the mansions appeared with the new graphics.

kind of self-explanatory. By the end, I was getting pretty sick of looking at all the mansions. For some reason, it was a *lot* more work that I thought it was going to be. I hope some of this make sense. Feel free to ask if it's not clear.

Doing some of this low-level stuff, freed Vern up to do the bigger things that only he could do. It definitely gave me some motivation to play around with a new Builder. The old Builder has frustrated me for quite a while now. Shortly after doing the initial conversion on the custom mansions, my work load and responsibilities on my day job picked up in a big way - limited what I was able to do during my off time.

« Last Edit: 30.04.2012 at 11:24:23 by Rob Seegel »  

IP Logged

Rob Seegel
YaBB Administrator

Baltimore, MD
Reply #29 - 30.04.2012 at 11:23:51

SandyBean wrote on 29.04.2012 at 05:55:52:
The last mansion built was for MM2, and was by me...I'm really honoured (LoL !), but seriously was hoping there would be some new ones by now. 

I'm the most bummed out about MM2. I *really* liked the capabilities that were available to mansion builders in this game, and was disappointed that it didn't have as long a shelf life as it should have. As much as I like the new game with it's graphics, I *loved* the gameplay in MM2 better.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11
Send Topic Print