Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print
A nostalgic blog concerning designing mansions (Read 7312 times)
Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Re: A nostalgic blog concerning designing mansions
Reply #20 - 29.10.2022 at 23:56:23

BLOG (part 17)

2022 October the 29th

The included image shows the starting room of
MM1 HD - Nightmare Mansion hard
. Jack is standing aside a pole that looks like it is coming from the room above. I remember that previously this pole gave me the strong expectation that there wàs a room over there.

But that doesn't need to be. In contrary this kind of setup is maybe just perfect. After all Jack is only able to visit a mansion when there is a place where he may enter that mansion (coming from an outer world). The starting room is probably the most logical place to expose that.

In the shown room the two wooden platforms are permanently moving left and right with the same (and reasonable) speed. The upper platform has a longer distance to cover than the lower one. That means that the platforms are sometimes moving nearly together in the same direction, but sometimes not all.

So going down to the ladder deserves neatly work: 4 jumps to the different platforms and a last step to the bottom. Hard work in the hard version of this mansion.

Or is there an alternative way? How about relaxing, not hurrying, thinking and finally SPOILER ALERT ***
using only the left sinking platform!

IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #21 - 30.10.2022 at 14:39:52

BLOG (part 18)

2022 October the 30th

The added picture is from the interesting room 16500 in the same mansion:

The red door with the moneybag behind it did ring a very tall bell. In Jack's backpack are 3 wrong colored keys and in the large neighborhood isn't any red one.

To continue the game, I only had choice between two possibilities with a pole down (one way!). Once down, in contrary to what I thought, I could solve this puzzle. In a room there was an odd 'unfriendly' option: exchanging a shield or a life for a way back to that red door.

The room itself isn't only hard because of the red door and the small sinking platforms. Catching the left moneybag needs careful play. In that niche Jack can't duck or jump to avoid the upper blue bird. So it is a matter of timing and being fast enough.
« Last Edit: 03.11.2022 at 18:22:04 by Freddy »  

IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #22 - 31.10.2022 at 15:06:25

BLOG (part 19)

2022 October the 31st

See part 18 of the blog.

Freddy wrote on 30.10.2022 at 14:39:52:
... Once down, in contrary to what I thought, I could solve this puzzle. In a room there was an odd 'unfriendly' option: exchanging a shield or a life for a way back to that red door. ...

Well, well, well. How wrong was I. Not that I did lie, because my Jack really could fight his way back to that red door and open it. But afterwards there arouse new serious problems with opening colored doors. So yesterday this nightmare had no solution.

After new visits (plural!) I could 'finish'
, what means that I arrived at a point where I need a code to proceed. See image of room 16894.

This, in my personal opinion, brilliant designed first part of the mansion is absolutely tough. What a masterclass! Especially concerning the use of (one way) poles with all their complications.
Smiley

So far, the mansion had a blue and a green area. Jack is standing right now at one of the two points where he is able to slide down a pole to the next red area.

A few important things.
1. I am pretty sure that I collected all money and found all secrets.
2. I 'saw' all rooms and visited all but one. The latter I only saw on the map.
3. Six doors I left unopened what resulted in four spare keys in the backpack. Indeed: there are more doors than keys in these first areas of the mansion!
Shocked

No wonder that players get in trouble. This mansion is a big invitation to revisit it.

Was my play perfect? I don't know. First of all, I know that there is an other pole where Jack can slide down to the next area and I don't have any clue if the choice between the two poles does matter. It may also be important that a purple door need to be opened to use that other pole.

Besides that I am not sure about one of the spared keys. After a closed colored door there is a room (the one I only saw on the map) with an other colored key (but absolutely sure no money). So an exchange before going to the red area may be important.

Do you understand that I am eager to figure this out?
« Last Edit: 03.11.2022 at 18:23:42 by Freddy »  

IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #23 - 04.11.2022 at 16:20:30

BLOG (part 20)

2022 November the 4th

Semi-Native wrote on 18.09.2022 at 20:38:22:
... Good luck getting everything up and running.

MM HD and MM2 are up and running!

Smiley  Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Reply #24 - 04.11.2022 at 18:17:28

Congrats Freddy.  Remember, you can convert original MM1 custom mansions to MM2 custom mansions if you'd rather play them there than in the MM HD.

A stuck Jack is better than no jack

IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #25 - 04.11.2022 at 18:25:27

Thank you!

Does this converting also help me to do repairs in the MM2 builder? That would be very helpful.

And are there somewhere instructions for the converting?

IP Logged

brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Reply #26 - 04.11.2022 at 18:30:57

Freddy wrote on 04.11.2022 at 18:25:27:
Thank you!

Does this converting also help me to do repairs in the MM2 builder? That would be very helpful.

And are there somewhere instructions for the converting?

There are instructions in the MM2 documentation:

"If you want to convert mansions from Midnight Mansion 1 format to Midnight Mansion 2 format, first make a backup copy of your mansion, and then:

1) Start up Mansion Level Builder 2. When the "Open Mansion" dialog comes up, cancel it.
2) Drag the icon of the mansion you want to convert onto the Mansion Level Builder 2 icon.

You will be asked if you want to convert the mansion. When you convert it, its format will be permanently changed, and will no longer be able to be opened by the original game.

Note: you'll see lots of the same numbers appear in the dialog repeatedly. This doesn't mean the process is "stuck". This is normal. Conversion takes a while."

And, yes, after converting the mansion will be editable in the MM2 builder.

IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #27 - 04.11.2022 at 18:43:31

Wow!
Smiley

My new MM-life is going to start.

IP Logged

brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Reply #28 - 04.11.2022 at 18:44:39

Note that there a few (but easily solved) complications when you convert MM1 cm's to MM2 cm's.

http://www.actionsoft.com/forums/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1284917992

http://www.actionsoft.com/forums/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1660225676

There are propably more undiscovered.  I do not include strange items from MM2 suddenly appearing in the converted mansions.  They can even be funny and, anyway, can be eliminated in the builder.

IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #29 - 04.11.2022 at 18:58:15

Ladderjumps and lanterns. Very important issues!

Midnight Mazes and Monsters can't exist without the jumps. And I couldn't give lanterns before the very last room! Makes me think of changes.

A maze in the dark ...
Grin Tongue

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print