Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 36
Send Topic Print
MM2 - Brave New World (Read 21312 times)
brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Re: MM2 - Brave New World
Reply #160 - 13.05.2023 at 21:05:41

Freddy wrote on 04.05.2023 at 16:59:42:
As announced TZ2 is a pantry (partly under maintenance): backpack, shields, maps, money bags, save. I hope everything works fine. Jack is supposed to arrive in TZ2 without a key and to leave it as well without any key. On the road Jack will have to make a decision. Something to think about before acting.

Does this mean that my Jack used the green key at the wrong place?  If so, how is he supposed to know that he is supposed to use it in the first pantry room?  There is no other green key in sight and my Jack opened the wrong(?) green door in order to find another green key.

A stuck Jack is better than no jack

IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #161 - 13.05.2023 at 23:43:12

brell wrote on 13.05.2023 at 21:05:41:
Does this mean that my Jack used the green key at the wrong place?  If so, how is he supposed to know that he is supposed to use it in the first pantry room?  There is no other green key in sight and my Jack opened the wrong(?) green door in order to find another green key.

There are a lot of ways to make changes for the green keys/doors issue of TZ2. But I like to keep as much from the puzzle as possible, but on the other hand want to make play fairly. As always.

I assume that you made a save in the lower left corner from room 17501. If you restart there and would know (I have a sign in mind) that there are only two green keys for the three green doors would that be enough?

The essence of this puzzle is that when you open the wrong door you are missing a lot of money, besides an extra save pedestal. But the sign must realize that you KNOW that for sure.

Please, give a yell. Before I change anything.

IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #162 - 13.05.2023 at 23:47:25

brell wrote on 13.05.2023 at 18:21:29:
... TZ1 and the blue area seem perfect now (although I would still like a clearer hint for the first key but that is not an important issue). ...

Was the text on the added (revealing) sign in room 16902 too vague? Should I need to add something like, that in the blue area 2 keys are in view without opening any coloured door and that only one is within reach. For sure!
Undecided

IP Logged

brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Reply #163 - 14.05.2023 at 17:43:37

Freddy wrote on 13.05.2023 at 23:43:12:
brell wrote on 13.05.2023 at 21:05:41:

There are a lot of ways to make changes for the green keys/doors issue of TZ2. But I like to keep as much from the puzzle as possible, but on the other hand want to make play fairly. As always.

I assume that you made a save in the lower left corner from room 17501. If you restart there and would know (I have a sign in mind) that there are only two green keys for the three green doors would that be enough?

The essence of this puzzle is that when you open the wrong door you are missing a lot of money, besides an extra save pedestal. But the sign must realize that you KNOW that for sure.

Please, give a yell. Before I change anything.

Yes, I made the save.  And yes, a sign would help, but it must not give too much away.  There is nothing (visible) behind the lowest green door.  Perhaps this puzzle is OK as it is.  The player must decide where to use the green key and a wrong decision does not lead to a JS.  Also, the last save is not far away.

So, as an afterthought, maybe no changes are needed.

IP Logged

brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Reply #164 - 14.05.2023 at 17:44:37

Freddy wrote on 13.05.2023 at 23:47:25:
... TZ1 and the blue area seem perfect now (although I would still like a clearer hint for the first key but that is not an important issue). ...

Was the text on the added (revealing) sign in room 16902 too vague? Should I need to add something like, that in the blue area 2 keys are in view without opening any coloured door and that only one is within reach. For sure!
Undecided

Perhaps if you move that sign into the room in question?

IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #165 - 14.05.2023 at 20:13:12

brell wrote on 14.05.2023 at 17:44:37:
Freddy wrote on 13.05.2023 at 23:47:25:

Undecided

Perhaps if you move that sign into the room in question?

I have the feeling that if I move the info into that room I spoil the novelty and make it too easy. Therefor I did clarify the existing sign. See pic. What do you think? Help enough but not too much?

Afbeelding_2_008.png (18 KB | 17 )
Afbeelding_2_008.png

IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #166 - 14.05.2023 at 21:29:41

In a matter of fact, the green key issue in TZ2 is a yellow key thing.

On the first image you see that my Jack arrived for the first time in room 18102. Where he stands is the only spot where he could enter the room so far. He just opened the first of two purple doors and he has an other purple key. The room at the right is still dark and there are lanterns in view. As well as a new purple key.

Much later he arrives back in the room with a yellow key (pic 2), but he knows that there is a second yellow door in an other room. This is the point to make the right decision.

18102_a.png (206 KB | 18 )
18102_a.png
18102_b.png (194 KB | 14 )
18102_b.png

IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #167 - 08.06.2023 at 02:20:52

Hmm ... I had something like a writer's block. It took some time before I realized why I had no inspiration at all for continuing the design of BNW.

The cause was TZ2. I am not happy with it. The original idea was to make a second transit zone with the look of a pantry where the five colours lead to different prizes: the first backpack, maps, shields, save pedestal(s), money and signs with important information. In my opinion it became a mess.

There is no good way to avoid money in four of the five directions.
It is not easy at all to offer multiple save points while avoiding backtracking to them.
Giving maps for (small) areas log in advance? Really?
Shields that offer problems in the backpack ...

Conclusion: no pantry. It think that it would be better to create an information zone with good maps and signs.

Let me first tell what I did like in the TZ2 like it is now.
1. The look of room 17701 with the bright moonshine nicely positioned on that brown background. Together with the 'spiral' ladder and the smoothly appearing
keys
2. The windy puzzle with the alter ego in room 17902.
3. The windmill park from room 17903 with 'a new kind of way to a secret' (?) that finally leads to
the first backpack

Besides the pantry issue my major doubts about TZ2 are:
- that the windmill park is a forced way through, not a sideway;
- the revealing of some keys and other things, because in some cases it is far too unclear that there will be T's;
- the look of the rooms 17501, 18101 and 18102.

I am going to start with the redesigning of the dark room and see how it goes on.

QUESTION
In the windmill park, which way down did you find first?
« Last Edit: 12.06.2023 at 14:53:43 by Freddy »  

IP Logged

brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Reply #168 - 08.06.2023 at 17:29:57

Freddy wrote on 08.06.2023 at 02:20:52:
QUESTION
In the windmill park, which way down did you find first?

The ladder.

IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #169 - 12.06.2023 at 00:45:31

A necessary update
Wink

In what previously was called TZ2 only one room didn't change. Three of the eight are now dark rooms (for a while).

In the shown picture you will see that in room 17501 only three things didn't change: the ladders in and out and, much more important, the save pedestal so save 8 is still in use.

The mansion has now $ 31.000 to gain.

QUESTIONS

1. Please have a brief look in the first rooms of the purple section because the information on the (now) two signs did change and then continue till you could get the second yellow key of the mansion in the room with the skeletons. I am interested in your opinion.

2. In TZ1 I added a grey door. Together with the slight changes in the purple area it is meant as 'training' before the start issue in the blue area. Does it work?

3. I spend the whole weekend at rearranging the eight rooms starting with 17501. Do you think that this area still is a 'transit zones'? (I don't.)

4. Any remarks about this small area?
« Last Edit: 12.06.2023 at 14:57:20 by Freddy »  

BNW_17501.png (217 KB | 16 )
BNW_17501.png

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 36
Send Topic Print