Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 36
Send Topic Print
MM2 - Brave New World (Read 21337 times)
Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Re: MM2 - Brave New World
Reply #80 - 28.02.2023 at 16:41:34

brell wrote on 27.02.2023 at 21:39:47:
16503 What happens if jack uses his multicolor key in this room?

Now I am in room 16703 with one red key.  See picture 8.  I know there is a red door in the room to the right and another one in the room above.  Now Jack can access both rooms from this position.  Which shoud it be?  As I presume it is not intended (and will be fixed) that Jack can go to the room above from this position I will open the red door in the room to the right.
Decisions, decisions.  The player cannot know which door to open first. and whether opening this or that door first will lead to complications later. ...

A good night brought me insight about this room that I am going to change. The wrong design almost sure doesn't lead to any kind of Jack stuck but there is a major BUT! Like it is now it is a guessing game and I pleaded myself to avoid that. So fixing may be expected.

Edited:
fixed (see images) and will be seen in the next version.
« Last Edit: 28.02.2023 at 20:50:32 by Freddy »  

16503.png (80 KB | 18 )
16503.png
16703.png (91 KB | 18 )
16703.png

IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #81 - 28.02.2023 at 16:52:03

Freddy wrote on 27.02.2023 at 23:36:43:
... in room 17605  ...
The situation with the not taken eyeball wan't meant to be but I didn't correct that because it had two interesting consequences. Using the platform needs a little bit of thinking and getting the most left coin also. ...

More insight. The 4th giant spider missing the 4th eye ball looks soooo bad that I will fix this as well.
But the moving platform ...
Lips Sealed

Edited:

It wasn't that easy to force the 4th (always left) spider to eat the last eye ball. Depending from the moment of pulling the lever to open the trap doors and the position of the spiders and eye balls, it may be any of the 4 eye balls that stays alive. The solution I chose was increasing the speed of the eye balls from 5 to 14.
« Last Edit: 28.02.2023 at 21:02:22 by Freddy »  

IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #82 - 28.02.2023 at 17:41:42

brell wrote on 27.02.2023 at 21:39:47:
17101 Should the jump back be more obvious or at least be worth a secret?  Picture 9. ...

I think I am going to tear down the wall (Pink Floyd) between the left and the right parts of the room. An obvious opening for Jack to jump in both directions.

Edited:
fixed (see pic).
« Last Edit: 28.02.2023 at 20:52:08 by Freddy »  

17101.png (99 KB | 16 )
17101.png

IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #83 - 28.02.2023 at 21:10:03

The other issues.

17300 I brought the delay between the jumps of the fish bones from 120 to 160, while one shield is still 'waiting' above the platforms.

16698 Easy fix. I replaced the ladder between 16699 and 16899.

16905 I added a shield on the bottom floor and moved a moneybag to the top floor.

17505 My bad. A typical hurry-to-post mistake. I should have known better! (Beatles)

IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #84 - 05.03.2023 at 23:45:12

The life of a designer is full of fun. Creating new rooms, polishing existing rooms, fixing reported mistakes. And troubleshooting ...

Have a look at the image of room 17100. My Jack entered the room when the blocks were gold and at a certain point he arrived in the lower left corner. No silver block there, only a gap! My jack, as a test, walked into the gap and arrived on top of a purple door. See the picture of room 17300. To fix that I moved the purple door a little bit to the right to avoid that Jack falls on that door.

New problem. At a new attempt my Jack walked again into that gap and fell dead at the left of the door, but before dying he touched the door and since he had a rainbow key the purple door opened!
Roll Eyes

I had no space enough to move the door more to the right because of the ladder. Thus: I moved the ladder, the door and the construction above that ladder. Result: in room 17100 I had a hidden platform that wasn't working proper anymore.
Grin

Just to say that some things take time.

Version 013 is enclosed. There are now 16 secrets, 7 saves, more shields and $ 19.325 although I can't find $ 50 of them.
Embarrassed

All remarks are welcome.

17100_001.png (108 KB | 12 )
17100_001.png
17300.png (111 KB | 13 )
17300.png

IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #85 - 06.03.2023 at 16:42:25

Good morning,
brell
!

This morning I suddenly realized that room 16703 is still not wat we both want it to be. On the picture Jack came in from the left while the blocks were gold and is now standing on top of the silver blocks, ready to climb the ladder and start a thorough visit of the room above.

But there are still two problems!
1. Jack may also leave the room immediately to the left and continue somewhere completely else.
2. Jack may do the visit above, but after returning to room 16703 he may go right, change the blocks back to gold and leave the room by retracing his steps.

Both things don't lead to Jack-stucks but they are unwanted because leading to a guessing feeling or bringing up ideas of (large) backtracking.

Solution.
Part 1. In room 16703 the G/S-lever will be replaced by a (red) press button forcing the blocks to become and stay normal (= silver) and the most left silver block will be removed. The way out of this section will start with a ladder down in the bottom left corner of the room above. That is left of a closed grey door that must be opened with a lever that is behind the red door that had to be opened first! In room 16703 the one-way ladder down will replace the blue floating bricks in the upper left corner.
Part 2. It will be absolutely necessary to make changes concerning the blue key. Because of the one-way issue it will have serious consequences when leaving the section without a key. Assume Jack opened the red door with the rainbow key, did not pick up the blue key and took the one-way ladder down, I think he is forced to do large backtracking into the purple area to change the blocks back to gold to be able to get the 'forgotten' blue key. (What is right now the same when Jack jumps down to left from the silver blocks without a key.)
Shocked

Edited

Even after the changes there is more to think about. Take the same room 16703 with Jack on top of the silver blocks. There he makes a wrong movement and dies. When he came from the room above he reappears on the ladder and is able to climb up again. No harm. But what if he hadn't been up yet and reappears at the left entrance?

If Jack has a rainbow key, he is at the very beginning of the blue area and has a lot of good alternatives. But he also may have a red key (a wrong or no key is also possible but a playing mistake). Then there are two possibilities. The red door in room 16704 is still closed and is Jack's new and only target. Or that red door is already opened.

In that case the blocks have to be changed to gold again. And that means backtracking. Maybe a lot.
Sad

Or I do much more changes like:
- moving the G/S-press button to the room above;
- replacing the silver blocks with solid blue bricks.

16703_001.png (92 KB | 12 )
16703_001.png

IP Logged

brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Reply #86 - 06.03.2023 at 21:11:32

17499 is under maintenance and one of the reasons is because it felt to hard. The problem is the up and down going platform at the left that may go down in the lava. I am thinking of avoiding that with a solid ledge in the lower left corner and maybe also one in the upper left corner. That would help for the transfers as well. An obvious gap as a hint?! Interesting idea. I would dare to do that. Suits well with BNW!

17300 I will surely make the length of the intervals long enough. The shields are more a general issue. So am I going to remove almost all the covers of the shields because I want to give the players real shield information with the map.

You finished with €17400 and 81% secrets. If you had a second save with $ 4.000, then you did find 6 secrets at that time. With 81% it seems that you are missing 3 of the 10 secrets from the blue area. Planning new attempts?

16703 A brief moment I was thinking of a G/S-lever in TZ1 but that would be a paradox with the concept of the blue area. Can you imaging all future Jacks running several times on and off to that lever? I am going to fix it till it works exactly the same as all other sections of the blue area.
« Last Edit: 06.03.2023 at 22:57:19 by Freddy »  

A stuck Jack is better than no jack

IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #87 - 07.03.2023 at 15:55:06

Smiley

I am really really sorry,
brell

This morning I saw that I made an awful mistake. My answer on your latest post did overwrite yours. So your text is gone. And my text looks like it is yours. Pfff ...

Embarrassed

IP Logged

brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Reply #88 - 07.03.2023 at 17:03:45

No problem.

Regarding 17499, are we talking about the same room?  I was talking about the ghost platforms room in my post.  There are no moving platforms in 17499.
I was talking about the gap in the lower right corner from the ghost platform there to the conveyor belt.  There is an opening in the wall to the right of the belt which gives a hint of a room behind but the gap is too big for Jack to jump.

A stuck Jack is better than no jack

IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #89 - 07.03.2023 at 18:30:38

Oops again. I was talking about an other room. There are three rooms that IMO may be too hard:  the one with the ghost platforms, the one with the moving platforms and the one with sinking platforms and two eye balls. 'Your' room with the fish bones I added to that list. I certainly want to bring them all to a normal level.

Concerning the missing secrets, my best suggestion is to keep searching. E.g. check the map for gaps when Jack is at the end of TZ2 thus before using any TGV-platform to the finish. That will give me an idea of the current hint-difficulty-degree.
Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 36
Send Topic Print