Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
StarCraft Bug? (Read 7054 times)
dlcatftwin
Wanderer

StarCraft Bug?
04.12.2011 at 06:48:04

Hi all,
Hmm... wonder if anyone is still checking these readings out? Guess we will see.
This note is for the author of Starcraft. I would like to play it with the originally intended special Game Data and screens. Following the instructions closely, I insert the specially-made data in place of the original game data. Then....
MM fails to load, citing an issue with Gamescreens.c
I have attached a view of the error message.

I can play StarCraft fine, so long as I do not use any of your specially crafted data inserts.

What's up?
Thanks much,
DLC

Picture_1_145.png (16 KB | 720 )
Picture_1_145.png
dlcattayloru dlcatftwin  
IP Logged

Rob Seegel
YaBB Administrator

Baltimore, MD
Re: StarCraft Bug?
Reply #1 - 04.12.2011 at 09:19:52

This isn't so much a bug as the fact that Anthony hasn't had time to fully convert Starcraft over. It's going to be a pretty significant effort upgrading all the graphics - almost as much effort as the original work was. Just about all the graphics have to be twice their current size, and unfortunately simply scaling them up in an image editor isn't going to look very good. There's a good reason that this mansions and others like it haven't already been converted...

Also, I'm not sure if Vern has finalized how he wants to support custom graphics in the new game. Preferably, it would be some way to store all the custom graphics, music, and screens into the main directory structure. At the moment, he's pretty focused on getting a Windows version of the game working.

IP Logged

dlcatftwin
Wanderer

Reply #2 - 04.12.2011 at 10:46:29

Hello Rob,
Thank you for the response and explanation; it makes sense. My guess is once upon a time it worked? Like say, in Tiger, and MM was version 1.01, etc.
*oh, well* Maybe someday... StarCraft, among all the other fine 3rd-party castles independently developed would look fabulous in MM HD!
Thanks again,
DLC

dlcattayloru dlcatftwin  
IP Logged

Rob Seegel
YaBB Administrator

Baltimore, MD
Reply #3 - 04.12.2011 at 11:35:39

All of the mansions on this board were independently developed, and I agree with you - it would be great to see it and the others updated.  All of them worked in the previous version of MM which worked in Snow Leopard and earlier.  Unfortunately, Lion broke the original game because the game depended on Rosetta. So, although it could play all the mansions, the game itself wouldn't work in Lion. If you haven't upgraded to Lion yet, then you can still play the older version, and use the mansion editor.

Depending on how successful Vern is with making the game playable on more platforms so that he can increase the user base, you may be seeing more custom mansions, and other games, but there's a lot of time and effort involved. 

Fortunately, the majority of the games converted cleanly. After the upcoming holidays, I'm planning on talking to some of the other designers whose games haven't been converted to see what we can do to get more converted over.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print