Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
We're back (Read 11935 times)
aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Re: We're back
Reply #10 - 06.02.2007 at 23:52:48

Hi Joe,

how good to hear you and Matt are coming back on the boards !!  Smiley Cheesy

I'm a big fan of your mansions (and so are probably all other members  >>see our ecent "unofficial poll"), and this new stuff of yours looks really really interesting !!  I'm really looking forward to it.....

Thanks for the tip with the platform, too ...in my modest little attempts with custpom graphics (for my forthcoming mansion) I never dared to go too far away from the original size and look of sprites, 'cause I feared it would stop them from working.

I did make some larger things when replacing "non-moving sprites" (e.g. that knight, or the angel figure), but I came across some problems at times. For example, I wanted to include a (static) character instead of the knight, and even though I outlined / contoured the character properly, it always showed up in the game somewhat "frayed" at the edges.

What program do you use to design your new sprites (in) ??

Why is a carrot more orange than an orange ?
IP Logged

joeb
Adventurer

Reply #11 - 07.02.2007 at 00:35:36

Well folks like you are one of the reasons we've come back. I don't know what happened to the graphics tutorial I wrote but I'll see if I can find it for you. Here's what I use and why and how:

Photoshop is the main graphics application I use because I've been using it for a LONG time and it's the best although you can definitely get by with one of the Corel products or Adobe Elements. Edges can be a REAL pain. What I do is get the object core (described below) to a certain state and then use the PS selection tools to:
1. Get rid of all the pixels outside the object and replace them with pure white (255,255,255) or pure aqua (0,255,266) which is what Vern uses to create a transparency map.
2. Invert the selection from 1 and use the Modify Selection->Border... and create a 1 pixel border around the graphic. You don't neccessarily have to use black and sometimes, like on a light background, it makes the graphic look blocky. If it's a level 0 graphic I will use black because that' what sets the transparency with those objects.
3. Use Image->Adjustments->Hue/Saturation... to get an edge that's much darker than the object but still works for your target background. Of all the issues that you have with graphics in MM this is THE toughest to master. Just takes a lot of playing with.

DAZ Studio (www.daz3D.com) is what I use to generate my source graphics. Good news here is it's FREE and there are a TON of free/very cheap object meshes that you can get. JAC is the DAZ Chomper character. I pick an object and get it in the pose I want. I then use the Cartoon Shader to put a dark edge around the object. I play with the background (using white, aqua, black) and the size of the object until it looks good. Then I do the post work in PS as described above. The stormtroopers, probe droids, hover droids, frog droids, turbo lasers, ships and a LOT of the graphics throughout Dominator were all created this way.

I use Bryce for backgrounds and bricks. DAZ bought out Bryce and at one point in time sold Bryce 6 for $6. Yes that's right SIX dollars. As with DAZ Studio you can find tons of content.

I now use 2 resource editors. For graphics I use Resourcerer and Rezilla for sound.

Hope this helps. I'll provide further tips down the road as I have time and questions come my way.

Later

Joe B

IP Logged

suztours
Explorer

Jerusalem, Israel
Reply #12 - 07.02.2007 at 01:59:56

Ah, Joe - suggest you don't go to Minneapolis until the Spring Thaw!  I have a friend who works up there Mon-Thu and says it's about -30F just now... and that's on the warm days!

Meanwhile - I'm looking forward to trying out Dominator, so if you do have to brave the frozen north, here's hoping you warm up quickly once you're back in AZ!

suzanne

Seems like little Jack was lost in some huge mansion, but he's finally found a way out... thanks to Vern, Freddy & Brell!
IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #13 - 07.02.2007 at 04:43:52

Joe, thank you very much for that detailed information.

Until now, I have used Photoshop and for some things Adobe Illustrator (which is of course not very good for these kind of jobs)....
So, DAZStudio is a really good tip, I just downloaded it !!

I use Rezilla, too.

Especially your tips concerning those edges were very helpful..... I might be able to "repair" all those graphics I haven't been satisfied until now.....

Makes me think even more about how much work the creation of Mummy's must have been....

I'm looking forward to cheking out DAZ Studio tonight... Thanks again.

Why is a carrot more orange than an orange ?
IP Logged

Semi-Native
YaBB Administrator

Orlando, FL  USA
Reply #14 - 07.02.2007 at 05:17:07

Welcome back, Joe and Matt. Can't wait for your new mansion.
Grin

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print