Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Impressions (Read 13258 times)
Psychotronic
Explorer

Alaska
Impressions
24.02.2007 at 14:09:27

The big thread is more of an introduction/teaser conversation, so I thought there should be a thread for reviews and impressions of Dominator, now that it's got its own section of the forums.

So. I just finished the mansion with like 71% secrets and 70 minutes or so on the clock. I'll just share my first impressions, and if I think of stuff later, I'll let you know.

First off: Holy cow, this must have been a lot of work. It's crazy! Everything is different! It often feels like a totally new game. It kept the "New Game!" pleasure centers in my brain activated the whole time I was playing, and that's a testament both to the novelty of the graphics and to the level design. It was a great idea to move the player down to the moon halfway through, because it mixes up the graphics right about the time when I was getting tired of the Dominator. And keeping so many of the droids a secret until you get to the moon is fantastic. Big thumbs up for the robot hand on the title screen.

I quite liked the music. There's some upper-register stuff that could conceivably start grating on my nerves if I had to listen to it endlessly, but it established a very nice light-hearted mood at the beginning that fits with the whimsical main character, and also contrasts nicely with the more sinister tunes later on.

I almost hate to criticize the graphics, because you obviously put so much time and love into them, but what the heck. I think there's mixed success, here, not because any of the new graphics are bad, but because they don't all really seem to go together. Some tiles have detailed photoshop textures, while others are very flat, and when the two different styles try to co-exist on the same screen, I feel a little uncomfortable. And then mix the 3D shaded droids with the 2D hand-drawn droids, and all the new sprites, and it starts to get hard to look at. I got used to it as I played, but the overall impression was cluttered and chaotic. I think the individual tiles would look good, but they need to exist in a world that suits them and doesn't clash.

I think it also has something to do with your habit of cramming every screen full of as many sprites as humanly possible, and using almost no areas of solid blocks. The rooms look flimsy and junky as a result, and the tiles don't feel substantial. It's an element of your level design style, and I don't think I'm going to convince you to change it, but I really think it hurts the overall aesthetic appeal.

But again, I really liked most of the individual elements. Each unique droid enemy is charming and menacing in a cute, Midnight-Mansion-in-space way, and I never had any trouble knowing when I was close enough to get killed by one (which is very, very important when you're switching out sprites). The AT-ATs on the moon are brilliant. Brilliant. Except they need their own sound. There's got to be an AT-AT-ish sound (or ED209 from Robocop -ish) available somewhere. Anyway, the backgrounds are awesome, to the point where I didn't even notice them at first, they looked so natural. And then I climbed down into a secret room under the Dominator where I could see the stars, and I just thought: wow. This is cool.

The biggest problem I had, which is the same problem I had in TOTOMBS, is that so many of the walls that look perfectly solid can be walked through. It makes for some decent puzzles, and it kept me alert, but I got so that I was constantly irritated at having to test every wall. I shouldn't have to test every wall, because Jack (excuse me - JAC) should be able to tell at a glance what is solid and what is not. There's a clog of insubstantial ropes here and there that cause similar problems. The game is simply more fun when I can tell right away what I can touch and what I can't, so I'm not jumping against walls inanely when I could be exploring and solving puzzles and jumping over droids.

Oh, and before I forget: PUT POLES IN LAYER FOUR! I could have easily flown off to the side and died about ninety times on my trip down to the moon.

But the level design overall was very good. There's a nice mixture of linear sections with more open-ended areas, and I really felt like I was exploring a huge space station a lot of the time. In fact, the level design was good enough so that I forgot about it for most of the time and just enjoyed the game, which is a very good place to be. I don't quite understand using multi-color keys to open multi-color doors, since that's not what they're for at all, but a lot of people are doing that these days and I don't know how to stop it from happening. I often accumulated keys when I had no idea what door they would go to, but I never found myself without a key that I needed for long, so that wasn't a problem either. Finished it on my first playthrough, which I would say puts the difficulty at a solid Easy/Normal. There's a couple of rooms that killed me pointlessly several times, but I didn't play with Debug Mode on, so I couldn't tell you the room numbers. I'm attaching the movie of my run, so with any luck, you can see them.

Despite the criticisms, I really enjoyed playing through the mansion. And again, I can appreciate the insane amount of work you put into it. I hope somebody uses the tile set to compose their own mansion, because it would be very nice to see JAC's world expanded even more.
« Last Edit: 31.08.2008 at 00:49:13 by brell »  

IP Logged

joeb
Adventurer

Re: Impressions
Reply #1 - 24.02.2007 at 15:51:57

Thank you for the excellent critique. It definitely was the kind of detailed description that can be used as a guideline for further projects. What's really interesting is how well it touches on just about everything I had questions on and possible solution to the weaknesses. It will only help to inspire us to continue on down this new road of Midnight Mansion.

Matt & Joe

IP Logged

Fisch68
Lost One

Switzerland
Reply #2 - 24.02.2007 at 19:28:10

Matt & Joe

the only work I can think off right now is WOW!!!!!  Smiley

Very impressive, I never would have thought that a bit of change in graphics & sound can change this game so much. It must have
been a lot of work changing all the details...

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THIS EXCELLENT EXPERIENCE!

Regards

Fisch68

IP Logged

Anthony
YaBB Administrator

Nova Scotia, Canada

Canada
Reply #3 - 24.02.2007 at 20:07:24

They didn't change everything, I noticed some blocks (Like the silver blocks, not the gold/silver but the brick) they were still the same!  Wink

Anthony Duchesne ~ Original designer of Castle Basano, Leofani Manor and Jasperlone Mountains
Anthony AnthonyDuch http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=590111070  
IP Logged

Psychotronic
Explorer

Alaska
Reply #4 - 25.02.2007 at 01:14:52

Oh. I should also mention that I got used to controlling JAC almost instantly. I might have jumped a little too late the first time I tried to avoid a blue former-snake droid, but I adjusted quickly. I think his center of gravity when he's walking is a little forward from Jack's, so I just instinctively started jumping a fraction of a somethingth earlier. I never had any issues with collision detection. The jet shoes thing really works well, too. The sound and the animation on JAC's jumps made it feel like a new game more than anything else, I think.

IP Logged

Toybox
Treasure Hunter

Kiel, Germany
Reply #5 - 25.02.2007 at 01:42:38

Yes, it's quite funny that the change in graphics wasn't just a change in graphics, but also in playing feeling... Well done Matt & Joe!

BTW who made the music? One of them had some Jean Michel Jarre-y feel at some point  Cheesy

profile picture 'The Book of Secrets'
(c) Marta Bevacqua http://m0thyyku.deviantart.com/
IP Logged

joeb
Adventurer

Reply #6 - 25.02.2007 at 03:30:46

Thanks guys!

Matt & I did the music. I was a 3rd seat allstate cornet player and played with a lot of bar bands on bass guitar and have always had a great love for music, just wasn't quite good (or lucky) enough to make a career out of it. Matt has started having general music classes in school so I've trying to teach him how to read music. First thing we did in detail was Stars & Stripes Forever and the next thing I knew he was picking loops out of Garageband and putting them together so I figured what the heck, lets do some music for Dominator. There is one theme in there that's based on an old TV show. I leave it to the couch potatoes out there to figure which one.

Matt & Joe

IP Logged

Anthony
YaBB Administrator

Nova Scotia, Canada

Canada
Reply #7 - 25.02.2007 at 03:35:59

My music that I made so far for Ted... doesn't look too good compared to yours...  Cry I need a pro!

Anthony Duchesne ~ Original designer of Castle Basano, Leofani Manor and Jasperlone Mountains
Anthony AnthonyDuch http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=590111070  
IP Logged

joeb
Adventurer

Reply #8 - 25.02.2007 at 04:03:08

Like with everything in life you only get better by keeping at it! Don't give up Wingy, you'll get there.

2 more things:

1. The general feedback I've gotten on Dominator is that it's easy/normal. Matt wants to put together a Star Destroyer episode which since we already have the graphics in place shouldn't take that long so look forward to the upcoming release of Executor.

2. While Matt is tied up laying out the super star destroyer I am starting graphics work on the female MM tentatively titled Search for Jack. I've pretty much finished the Jill character but I need opinions on the hair. Red or Brown?

Thanks all,

Joe B

jills.jpg (44 KB | )
jills.jpg

IP Logged

brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Reply #9 - 26.02.2007 at 06:39:14

Got back home this evening, going to bed soon but tried Dominator first.  My first impression:  WOW!  As Psychotronic said, one must first get the jumping right but apart from that it seems to me a plain sailing.

A stuck Jack is better than no jack

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print